Reducing galvanizing coating thickness by adding nickel salts

adv. pointer   western technologies banner  gunatit builders banner

(2007)

Dear Sir
to reduce the coating thickness,some galvanizers use Ni contained salts and the other metallic salts in the fluxing or directly adding Nickel into Kettle,
Do you suggest any idea or solution besides of above suggestion?

Hakan Esen

Hakan Esen, Material Engineer(BSc.)
    galvanizing plant manager
Bursa, Turkey

(2007)

Sir,
Listed in the order of most effective first, the following have been found to reduce zinc coating thickness on reactive steels (those higher in silicon and phosphorus):
(1) IQM (my trade secret; it means Improved Quality Method)
(2) quadraflux (read my article in Metal Finishing)
(3) lower zinc temperature (828 F; 442 C; requires deep kettle with adequate thermal capacity)
(4) short zinc immersion times (approx. 1 to 3 minutes; which requires absolute flux control and quadraflux)
(5) process control of caustic, pickling, flux

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota

According to some articles, Ni tablets are preferable in the molten zinc to reach the less zinc consumption. As I asked before, what is the range of Nickel in the molten zinc and which type is preferred (nickel powder, nickel tablet and Ni based flux)
For 1 and half year, we utilize nickel salts based flux solution, and suppliers in Dubai (Middle East Conference of IZA) suggest advantages of utilization of nickel,especially tablet form.
What do you think about this phenomena? (addition type,nickel effect and optimum range)

Regards..

Hakan Esen

Hakan Esen, Material Engineer(BSc.)
    galvanizing plant manager
Bursa, Turkey

S
I
M
U
L
T
A
N
E
O
U
S

R
E
S
P
O
N
S
E
S

An other option is buying zinc that is already does with Ni. This saves any issues about how much Ni is recovered into the melt, and of getting the dosage rate wrong. Buy it premixed and save all uncertainty.

Geoff Crowley
Geoff Crowley
galvanizing & powder coating shop
Glasgow, Scotland

Sir:

Nickel is only effective in the maximum "bump" of the Sandlin Curve (e.g. between about 0.04% and about 0.2% Silicon in the semi-killed and killed steels). Outside this range nickel has little effect.

Because nickel is known to cause cancer, I believe that nickel salts in the flux are too dangerous.

The use of nickel metal powder in the zinc metal is well known and because I think this may be covered by by a world patent, it is inappropriate for me to post the percent nickel metal in the metallic zinc.

By "nickel tablet," if you mean nickel powder suspended in wax, then I can only say that in a few weeks I will be putting one of these tablets onto a molten zinc bath and measuring the nickel content of the smoke that is formed.

I suggest that you search the world patent literature for the answer to your question. Keep in mind that what is contained in the world patents are often modified by practical experience.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook

June 14, 2011 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Dear sir,
We are general galvanizers. We are galvanizing steel gratings, structural steels,oil pipes. All materials having silicon percentage from 0.15-0.40. Our zinc consumption per ton is 60kg. Our consumption is very high. The coating thickness is 150 to 300microns. Please advise us how to reduce zinc consumption in high silicon materials.

Azeez Mahaboobjan
galvanizing. - Dammam, Saudi Arabia.

Q. Dear Mr Cook,

Good day to you,
Referring to the above mentioned "Nickel suspended in wax", do you mind sharing the measurement results of nickel content in the smoke?

Also, regarding the mentioned IQM, can I get a brief introduction? Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks & regards,

CS Leong
- Selangor, Malaysia