Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

topic 43774 p2

Restoring Bleach Damaged Silver

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of the thread)

Q. I've just cleaned my pandora bracelet & rings in silver jewellery cleaner. Come to take them out and they are white!! Please can somebody help me!!

Beth jones
- Salford, Lancashire, England

thumbs up sign Thought I had destroyed my Pandora bracelet and charms with a silver bath cleaner ... busily restoring them right now with toothpaste!! THANK YOU!!

Brenda Harkin
- New Zealand

thumbs up sign Just googled "restore damaged silver" and immediately tried the toothpaste, and abrakabam -- my chain and bracelet with pendant all restored like new -- thank you sooo much.

faranaaz Scala
- cape town, western Cape, south Africa

Q. I have a sterling silver rope bracelet that is badly tarnished. I also forgot to take my sterling ring off before using bleach. I like the toothpaste idea, but wonder about the rope. will it get in the grooves? also the ring spells out "MOM", so there is detail. I'm thinking maybe a toothbrush? any other ideas to get into the crevices?

Renee Terry
- Owensboro Kentucky USA

3M Silver Protector Strips

A. I have been trying to melt silver myself from removing silver plate from silverware. I seen the worst of burning and tarnish. This method may seem odd but it works great...

Take a boiling pan of water add baking soda a good little handful. Bring it to a boil, take some aluminum foil, wrap your silver in the aluminum foil. Make sure the silver is touching the aluminum foil decently while wrapped in it, drop the aluminum foil with the silver into the boiling water. You could turn the heat off at this point; let the aluminum foil and silver sit in the boiling water.

The baking soda acts as a salt bridge between the silver and the aluminum. You'll notice that the aluminum foil will start turning black because it's now receiving the tarnish and pulling it off of the silver. Let it sit there for 15 to 20 minutes, pull out the Silver. Almost all the way clean, a little rubbing at that point with a rag and toothpaste will make it superior bright. This works good on jewelry that's hard to reach with the toothpaste alone such as necklaces and different items. If it doesn't work the first time try it again, I can just about guarantee it to work and you'll be very happy with the results.

Sam Ruiz
- Anaheim California united states

----
Ed. note: Yes, this will work, and many other readers have noted their success with it on letter 4785 and other threads.

thumbs up sign Just wanted to say thank you for the comment to use tooth paste, my ring was black after leaving on while bleaching and it is now gleaming and back to how it was and is intact & gleaming.

Jessica Holland
- United Kingdom

thumbs up sign MIRACLE! Toothpaste and Mr. Clean eraser. The eraser has a little bit more grip than a cloth and it worked fast and easy. a few moderate rubs and ALL GONE!!

Patty Proutey
Journey 4 Josh - Wilmington, North Carolina USA

thumbs up sign A while ago, I accidentally had on my sterling silver Pandora bracelet on while cleaning the bathroom and bleach saturated in my bracelet. So after reading thee posts this morning, I decided to go home and try the toothpaste challenge. Yes. It works! I can see my bracelet shining from across the room. Thanks!

Proctor General
- Atlanta, Georgia

thumbs up sign  BLUE TOOTHPASTE IS THE SAVIOR!
I have a sterling silver ring I wear daily. It's not terribly valuable, but was the first Christmas gift I got from my now husband so has a good deal of sentimental value. I nearly cried when I saw how black it had turned after bleaching some towels.

Then I found this thread, ran to the bathroom and just rubbed with my fingers and toothpaste. VOILA! cleaner than before!

Now my hubby doesn't have to know I nearly ruined the precious gift.

Alicia V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Fullerton, California, USA

thumbs up sign A million thanks for the toothpaste idea!! My wedding ring is made of silver (neither of us likes gold) and though I've been using bleach (when it's unavoidable) since we got married almost 2 years ago, I've never had a problem before. Today my ring looked as black as anything. Your site was the first proper one giving a real response and solution! Thanks again and again!! (It took me about 30 secs to clean it with a toothpaste and a toothbrush as it has a lovely Trinity pattern engraved into it.) :)

Krisztina Rausch
- Freshwater, Isle of Wight, UK

thumbs up sign The toothpaste worked GREAT!!

Louise Herman
- Riverton, Utah

Pandora jewelry turned white

Q. My Pandora has turned white after putting it in silver cleaner. How do I fix this?

Dianne L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- San Diego California

A. Anyone who says the toothpaste trick doesn't work, think again, it's not a trick; this is as true and real as a jeweller cleaning your jewellery. I've been using toothpaste to clean my silver for years and it never fails, I've damaged my ring with bleach and the toothpaste cleaned it beautifully, I used the toothpaste twice because of the shape of the ring but now it's shiny and beautiful again. Even on that antique road show program their advice is to clean with toothpaste and rinse properly.

Andrea Simms
- Peckham London

thumbs up sign Thought I'd destroyed my pure silver wedding band -- Mrs. looked aghast at the state of it.
Didn't realise bleach acted this way with silver.

Thankfully the toothpaste trick worked.
Whoever came up with this saved my life.

k shad
- glasgow, scotland

thumbs up sign  I had to take my beloved Dad back to his homeland in Ireland after he sadly passed away this March. I bought a beautiful Irish claddagh ring to commemorate this occasion and it meant so much to me. I bleached a white top in the sink plunged my hands in an was horrified ten minutes later when i looked down at my ring. It was patchy black an looked dull. I thought it was ruined. I was gutted. Thanks to all the people on here suggesting rubbing with tooth paste, my ring is restored back to its shiny beautiful condition. I'm so happy. Thank you. Tooth paste most definitely works wonders.

Debbie McFarlane
Lincoln, Lincolnshire uk

heart sign I own a Tiffany necklace for over 20 years; it was a gift so it means a lot to me. Was a gift for my daughters ... I dropped it in a bleach container that I had in the counter by accident and did not look good. Then I almost cried thinking I was not going to get it back to the normal color. But thank you for your posts -- got it back to normal so just want to say thank you, thank you so much ... I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Maria spreadbury
- Kingsport Tennessee

thumbs up sign  Toothpaste works great, especially if you use a white or blue toothpaste with BAKING SODA! I made the mistake of trying to clean my Sterling silver Cuban link chain, and it turned this nasty dark color. I just covered it in the toothpaste, scrubbed with a sponge and water. Repeated this a few times and the chain's shining like a diamond!

Darrien Di Angelo
- Stockton California

heart sign TOOTHPASTE! wow, who would have thought?! thanks

Lois Burville-Ward
- Alicante, Spain

A. MAGIC CLEAN ERASER 100% did the job! I got Clorox on a ring and it took it right back to sparkly clean :)

Emily Pennington
- Maryland, USA

thumbs up sign  Toothpaste did the trick!!!! Thanks for that quick and cheap method

Natalie Perry
- Johannesburg, South Africa

thumbs up sign OMG!! This post was very much appreciated! I was about to kill my husband, thought he bought me a fake ring! You saved my marriage lol

Holly D
- Camden New Jersey

A. I know this is an old post. But over the 4th of July holiday weekend I was at my Auntie's beach house and was cleaning the lawn tables with soapy bleach water and had my silver ring on -- it turned dull & black. I immediately wanted to cry because I had just bought it 3 weeks ago. Fast forward to internet search to find out if there was a reason & cure to restore. THE TOOTHPASTE WORKS, again, TOOTH PASTE WORKS. I saw a few people who said it did not for them but went with the majority. I had the paste/gel mix w/baking soda and peroxide that I use every day. I rubbed it vigorously with just my two thumbs and in less then 5 min the tarnish/black was coming off. Took a small piece of toilet paper and rubbed off the toothpaste & BANG back to shiny and new. I almost cried this time with joy. PS I did it a 2nd time for a shorter period just to be thorough. Rinsed it with warm water w/a dab of soap (NO BLEACH) just to make sure all the toothpaste was off.

Jay Yates
- Washington DC