a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum

Restoring Bleach Damaged Silver

(2007)

Q. I spilled Clorox Bleach on some of my silverware and it stained, tarnished or damaged the silverware. Is there any means of restoring my silverware to it's original condition?

Mannie Wilks
architect - Culver City, California

(2007)

A. If it's sterling silver, enough rubbing with silver polish will eventually restore it. If silver plated you may have damaged it beyond repair.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg,
      South Carolina

(2007)

A. Mix precipitated chalk and some water (a few drops of ammonia can be added). Object must be rubbed with that mixture; after treatment rinse it well. Hope it helps and good luck!

A. The best way to clean any silver, sterling or plated, is to rub it with toothpaste! Cheap, no-name brand toothpaste is a perfect alternative to silver polish. No bad smell and super cheap!
I rubbed my bleach stained sterling silver ring for just a minute with toothpaste and, ta-da, no stains!
(unfortunately doesn't remove big scratches, just buffed it to a great sheen :)

Karen Smith
- Boise, Idaho, USA

thumbs up signThank you guys. The wife would have killed me...

Sgt Tomas Mikul
- Boston, Massachusetts

thumbs up signThanks for the tip on using the toothpaste. My wife cleaned something with bleach and forgot she had her Tiffany ring on and we thought it was ruined.

Thanks again!

Derrick Curry
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

A. I had a beautiful silver ring ruined by bleach. I used toothpaste (preferably blue), rubbed it with a toothbrush for 3 minutes, and then cleaned it silver cloth -- and voila good as new!

mirna perrin
- Jamaica, New York

thumbs up signWell I had a cup of bleach sitting in the sink and I accidentally put my Mom's 200 year old sterling silver spoon into it!! Yikes! And the toothpaste, rubbed in for a few minutes by hand (you have to rub fairly hard) did the trick.

jodi fulsom
- Summerland, BC Canada

thumbs up signI had a beautiful sterling silver and CZ ring set. I put my hand in some bleach water and the rings turned black. Decided to google for solution and lo & behold the toothpaste restored them to almost new. Thanks a million to the person who discovered this. I was about to throw the rings away

robin logan
- east haven, Connecticut

A. Mr. Clean sponge and Wright's Silver Cream! Works like a charm! I had several silver dishes accidentally get put in bleach water. They all came out blotchy & cloudy. Now they are good as new! I tried the toothpaste trick and it didn't work. I tried the regular sponge that comes in the Wright's Cream and it didn't work. Then I decided to try the silver cream with a Mr Clean sponge and it all polished right up. You do have to add a little elbow grease, but not too much more than what you have to do when a piece is badly tarnished.

Lisa Andrews
- Birmingham, Alabama, USA

thumbs up signA guest unwittingly put some silver-plated spoons into some weak bleach but the toothpaste remedy worked a treat.

David Sibbald
- Colyton,Devon, UK

A. Silverware Re-polishing.
I have a banquet facility and one of my staff persons put bleach in a pan with lots of stainless steel silverware. It immediately turned black. I thought it was ruined forever. But another staff person took the silverware and put them in a pan of vinegar. He then rubbed each piece with wool pad (no soap). The silverware is absolutely repaired and can be used daily again.

Dr. E. McD. Wortham
Palladium Caterers - Baltimore, Maryland USA

thumbs up signThanks for the toothpaste advice; worked like a miracle, inexpensive and handy.

Rosemarie lugayalugay
- Berwyn Illinois USA

A. Real silver can be kind of restored with a mix of:
hot water toothpaste and dish soap, it worked a little for me.

cristian ramirez
- Woodburn, Oregon

Q. I have a silver ring with a stone that I got in Ireland, with a stone from bc. And I got bleach on it. Please help me restore it back to its original.

danielle salazar
- sarasota florida united states

thumbs up sign THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TOOTH PASTE IDEA. I dropped my best friend's and I's bracelet in bleach and the Toooth paste accurately worked. It took me about ten minutes to clean the whole bracelet but it was totally worth it. Thank you so very much for that idea.

Esther Fleeson
- Custer, Wisconsin

A. I bleached some of my white shoes and I didn't realize bleach would ruin my two silver rings, one of them an antique! This toothpaste trick worked like a charm on my band and on the intricate antique ring, thanks!

Shannon Parcher
- Lakeville, Minnesota

thumbs up sign Oh my gosh! This was so HELPFUL! ... I thought I RUINED my silver wedding ring after I used bleach while cleaning some bathrooms and it looked like destroyed metal -- grey and splotchy -- and I was very discouraged. Then I read to use TOOTHPASTE and rub for a minute ... I got my Toms Toothpaste and began rubbing, in less than 45 seconds my ring is shining, glistening, beautiful, like it hasn't been in years!! TOOTHPASTE ABSOLUTELY WORKS!

Jonathan Palma
- Kailua Kona, Hawaii

thumbs up sign  Wow, I was fretting over this all afternoon. I got straight chlorine on my silver ring and it turned black. I scrubbed with dish soap but it did nothing. I thought I was doomed to a black ring. But I tried the toothpaste, which I usually use to clean my diamond ring, and it worked. Looks like new. Thank you!

Lucy Carlson
- Venice, Florida

thumbsdown Without thinking (obviously), I washed my outdoor table with bleach. It has blackened my rings. I tried the toothpaste (as I always do) but it didn't work.

juanita severson
- Lowerlake, California

thumbs up signWow... Thanks for the toothpaste advice, it just restored my wife's ring which fell in bleach.

Solomon Tawiah
- Tema, Ghana

thumbs up signTHANK YOU!!! I was frantic. I didn't know bleach would do that to my rings. I had some toothpaste in my desk at work and it worked like a charm~!!

Rayne Prescott
- minneapolis, Minnesota, usa

thumbs up sign THANKS SO MUCH, HAD A CABLE CUFF BRACELET FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS AND WAS CLEANING WITH BLEACH AND IT TURNED BLACK...FOUND THIS POST AND IT WAS FIXED IN 5 MINS. APPRECIATE THE INFO!

MICHELLE KELLEY
- SHARPSBURG, North Carolina, USA

Q. I unfortunately put my rings in silver cleaner & got busy with the kids needless to say the rings are super dull & look completely ruined..
Gonna try the toothpaste however any other suggestions?

Stephani Viars
A beautiful you - Corona, California

thumbs up signDamaged my ring cleaning a bathroom wall with neat bleach.
Found your answer about toothpaste - worked a treat.

Al pearce
- Shropshire, U.K.

thumbs up signSo right now I'm a wreck because my husband is away for a couple months and I am missing him like crazy. Well, tonight I was pouring some bleach on a stain that was on my daughter's shirt and bleach seeped through to my hand. I didn't think anything of it but when I went to rinse my hand, I was horrified to see my rings black! I began sobbing and immediately googled what went wrong when I saw this site.

I went and got some toothpaste and begin polishing but saw no change. I was devastated but kept reading when I saw someone say they had to rub really hard. So I tried again et voila! Like magic my rings are completely restored. Now I'm crying of happiness. Thank you isn't strong enough of a phrase to exclaim my gratitude.

Amanda Cross
- Hot Springs, Arkansas USA

A. I had silver flatware discolored by bleach. I tried both Wright's silver cream and toothpaste applied with a Mr. Clean sponge, and would say the toothpaste worked slightly better than the silver cream. So I would recommend not going out to buy silver cream if you don't already have it on hand.

Letitia Pepper
- Riverside California USA

thumbs up signToothpaste worked great! Accidentally got bleach on my wedding band, was marbled with tarnish immediately. Googled and this site came up first. Since I had toothpaste readily available, I tried it first and it worked like a charm! THANKS!

Robin Turnmire
- Rockford, Tennessee, USA

thumbs up signI received a beautiful ring from Tiffany's for my birthday about a month ago. While cleaning I poured bleach into my dish water and forgot to take off my ring. Of course it was a low strength of Clorox but it made my new ring look tarnished. I thought it was ruined. I found this site and tried the toothpaste solution and it has nearly restored my ring. It does take some effort but well with it. This saved me postage to send the ring to Tiffany and restoration fees for restoring it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Elizabeth Taylor
- Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Q. I've just cleaned my pandora bracelet & rings in silver jewellery cleaner. Come to take them out and they are white!! Please can somebody help me!!

Beth jones
- Salford, Lancashire, England

thumbs up sign Thought I had destroyed my Pandora bracelet and charms with a silver bath cleaner ... busily restoring them right now with toothpaste!! THANK YOU!!

Brenda Harkin
- New Zealand

thumbs up sign Just googled "restore damaged silver" and immediately tried the toothpaste, and abrakabam -- my chain and bracelet with pendant all restored like new -- thank you sooo much.

faranaaz Scala
- cape town, western Cape, south Africa

Q. I have a sterling silver rope bracelet that is badly tarnished. I also forgot to take my sterling ring off before using bleach. I like the toothpaste idea, but wonder about the rope. will it get in the grooves? also the ring spells out "MOM", so there is detail. I'm thinking maybe a toothbrush? any other ideas to get into the crevices?

Renee Terry
- Owensboro Kentucky USA

A. I have been trying to melt silver myself from removing silver plate from silverware. I seen the worst of burning and tarnish. This method may seem odd but it works great...

Take a boiling pan of water add baking soda a good little handful. Bring it to a boil, take some aluminum foil, wrap your silver in the aluminum foil. Make sure the silver is touching the aluminum foil decently while wrapped in it, drop the aluminum foil with the silver into the boiling water. You could turn the heat off at this point; let the aluminum foil and silver sit in the boiling water.

The baking soda acts as a salt bridge between the silver and the aluminum. You'll notice that the aluminum foil will start turning black because it's now receiving the tarnish and pulling it off of the silver. Let it sit there for 15 to 20 minutes, pull out the Silver. Almost all the way clean, a little rubbing at that point with a rag and toothpaste will make it superior bright. This works good on jewelry that's hard to reach with the toothpaste alone such as necklaces and different items. If it doesn't work the first time try it again, I can just about guarantee it to work and you'll be very happy with the results.

Sam Ruiz
- Anaheim California united states

----
Ed. note: Yes, this will work, and many other readers have noted their success with it on letter 4785 and other threads.

thumbs up sign Just wanted to say thank you for the comment to use tooth paste, my ring was black after leaving on while bleaching and it is now gleaming and back to how it was and is intact & gleaming.

Jessica Holland
- United Kingdom

thumbs up sign MIRACLE! Toothpaste and Mr. Clean eraser. The eraser has a little bit more grip than a cloth and it worked fast and easy. a few moderate rubs and ALL GONE!!

Patty Proutey
Journey 4 Josh - Wilmington, North Carolina USA

thumbs up sign A while ago, I accidentally had on my sterling silver Pandora bracelet on while cleaning the bathroom and bleach saturated in my bracelet. So after reading thee posts this morning, I decided to go home and try the toothpaste challenge. Yes. It works! I can see my bracelet shining from across the room. Thanks!

Proctor General
- Atlanta, Georgia

thumbs up sign  BLUE TOOTHPASTE IS THE SAVIOR!
I have a sterling silver ring I wear daily. It's not terribly valuable, but was the first Christmas gift I got from my now husband so has a good deal of sentimental value. I nearly cried when I saw how black it had turned after bleaching some towels.

Then I found this thread, ran to the bathroom and just rubbed with my fingers and toothpaste. VOILA! cleaner than before!

Now my hubby doesn't have to know I nearly ruined the precious gift.

Alicia V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Fullerton, California, USA

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: