-----

"How to make nickel sulfate for plating"

An ongoing discussion beginning back in 2006 ...

2006

Q. Hello my name is PeterWood I work in antique metal repairs. I would be very grateful if you could please tell me how to make nickel sulfate for plating as it is not easy to obtain in UK (only in large amounts). I do make my own copper sulfate and silver chloride. Many thanks Peter

Peter Wood
The Stables - Polegate, East Sussex, UK
^

2006

A. Dissolve it in concentrated sulphuric acid, then evaporate resulting liquid; nickel must be very pure, or use nickel anode and diluted sulphuric acid electrolyte (and same process, when solution is saturated evaporate it). Hope it helps and good luck!

^

2007

A. Peter
If you cannot get nickel sulphate, you probably have difficulty getting nickel metal to make it from too.
As a practical suggestion.
1/ look up electroplaters in yellow pages.
2/ Phone them and ask for their chemist.
3/ Arrange a lunchtime meet in his local ale house
4/ Place a pint of beer in his hand and state your problem.

I am a bit puzzled what you need silver chloride for?

^

A. Go here, easy to set the items needed and it works okay:

www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/?ALLSTEPS

J Foreman
- Nottingham, UK.
^

Cannot make nickel sulfate, problems with solution

43334-1
-- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative threadNovember 17, 2020

Q. I am trying to make nickel sulfate. The first smaller glass jar I used first turned to a pastel green while it reduced to almost half the jar. After toping off with pure %35 sulfuric acid for the other half, the nickel turned to a clear turquoise color which in turn became crystals of nickel sulfate.

Skip ahead, the larger solution which has a great deal of nickel in it, also has turned a pastel color which it has remained, under heat, for 3 days. I transferred it from a 64 oz jar, following the addition of 35% sulfuric acid, some distilled water, as well as some of the remaining (not yet crystallized) nickel sulfate solution and I still have an insoluble solution. Everything in it is just as pure as the original and from the same batch. I don't know what else to do to convert from (what I can only assume is nickel hydroxide) to nickel sulfate. Is there a specific PH for which nickel sulfate is created? Could it be too low? What else could I do to help along the change to Nickel Sulfate? I would rather not require dumping the whole solution. Please help.

Brandon Blair
- Dallas, Texas
^