23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley
topic 41896 p2

High TDS and NaCl problem in effluent treatment

1       2

Q. Hi, I am a chemical engineer and I am working in a High TDS effluent treatment Plant. We are facing with a problem in reducing COD. We cant reduce COD below 100. Biological treatment does not work. How we can reduce COD below 100?

sanaz azimi
Petrochemical Effluent Treatment Plant - bandare mahshahr , Iran

Q. I am Process safety manager and I have given a task to reduce TDS of my ETP from 90000 to 2000 it mostly contains:

Appearance
2 pH
3 COD mg/lit.
4 NH3-N mg/lit.
5 TDS mg/lit.
6 Chloride mg/lit.
7 SO4 mg/lit.
8 Calcium by AAS mg/lit.
9 Calcium by Titration
10 Magnesium by AAS
11 Magnesium by Titration
12 Sodium mg/lit.
Stream 1
Slight Yellow
7.66
1448
292
80895
45670
721
93
375
165
2249
5949
Stream 2
Slight Yellow
8.66
2736
450
136448
64604
850
1599
3672
506
11015
7380

Please suggest as we are mixing both the streams and just removing COD and NH3-N currently.
Viral

Viral Soni
Fertilizer,Nutrient - Surat,Gujarat,India

Q. I am dealing with a project to reduce the TDS from specific value given in table, can any one give me a solution for this issue apart from Multi effect evaporator.
1) pH - 7.40
2) COD - 738 ppm
3) TDS - 93324 ppm
4) Cl2 - 53361 ppm ( outlet result )
5) SO4 - 2200 ppm ( outlet result )
6) NH3N - 18 ppm
7) TSS - 82 ppm ( outlet )
8) Hardness - 13900 ppm

Prashant Katke
- mumbai maharashtra india

Q. I have a FireTube Boiler , and the ground water has a hardness of 490 and the TDS is 2250, For feed water to the above boiler what do I need to do with the above Raw water? Can you please suggest me the process for the above raw water, so as to allow me to safe run of the boiler at 8KG/Cm2

Srinivas Rao
- VIJAYAWADA, AndhraPradesh, India

Q. I am an intern under environmental science. In my company we are experiencing a challenge of high TDS. The chemicals we are using to treat the effluents are HCl, Aluetch (caustic soda), and polymer.
Please advise

Dickson Mulewa
- Nairobi, Kenya

A. Hi Dickson. To get substantive help you probably need to detail what you are treating, in what volume, etc. But I'm sure you realize that the NaCl which results from your treatment regimen is extremely soluble (hundreds of thousands of ppm), so you're not going to be able to be able to chemically treat the wastewater to reduce the TDS. Switching from caustic soda to lime would help somewhat. What is the source of the wastewater?

A. Your problem with high TDS is not unusual. Usually, the solution involves going back to the process lines and minimizing dragout and dumps of concentrated solutions. This may involve recovery and similar systems to purify rather than dump concentrates. This requires a detailed audit of your lines that will quantify the sources of the TDS. But, if you already know the main contributors, then focus on them.

After that, look at your treatment practices, since they also add TDS, sometimes very significantly.

Lyle Kirman
consultant - Cleveland, Ohio USA

Q. Sir, I am working in ETP plant. We use HCl to neutralize pH. My question is how can we reduce 4500 TDS to 2500 TDS? Is there any solution? Please suggest. Thank you

Lakshmikanth yadav
- Tumkur, karnataka, india

Q. Hi, our company is currently treating deep well water. Water analysis shows high TDS and chlorides. What is the best solution to reduce them aside from using a reverse osmosis equipment? Thank you.

Angela Si
- San Juan City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Q. We have difficulty to maintain the TDS below 2000 ppm. Because treated water ppm is 4000-5000 ppm. Hence we add more raw water for reducing the TDS. How to solve the TDS problem?

R.Mailerum perumal
latex industries - nagercoil, tamilnadu, india

A. Hi. I'll agree that diluting your effluent with raw water -- pouring precious fresh water down the drain -- is an unacceptable solution. In the finishing industry in the USA, that approach would be illegal. However, unless you describe your treatment regimen and what the TDS is comprised of, I don't expect that anybody will be able to help. Good luck.

Q. Dear all,

We use PAC (Poly Aluminum Chloride)for effluent flocculation & it is working very well but chloride contains are increasing due to PAC.
I have tested many more flocculants for the same but for our effluent quality PAC gives the best results except Chloride.
Please suggest any options to reduce chloride.

Amey Kale
- Mahad, Maharashtra, India

Q. Sir,my TDs in clarifier inlet is 8000..where as outlet is 13000...but my hardness in inlet is 2000 ..outlet hardness is 50...I am using lime and soda ash ....

Bhagavan Kumar
Water treatment - vishakapatnam,andhra Pradesh,india

Q. In a sugar production industry I am working as ETP in charge. I am facing high TDS and frequently facing Aseptic condition in Aeration tank; so any one help me to resolve the issue?.

Pancheshwara Bhovi
Mylar sugars Ltd. - Bellary Dist, Karnataka State India

This is Badal, Working in a accessories company as ETP Manager. Capacity is 12 m3/H, but our waste generation is around 4m3/H. Inlet Parameter is;
PH = 10
TDS = 1300
DO = 1
BOD = 50
COD = 300
as I have more capacity in the tank, can I use more fresh water into the tank and will it help us to improve the inlet waste water quality?

MD BADAL
- DHAKA, NARSINGDI, BANGLADESH

A. Hi MD. In the USA it is strictly forbidden to dilute in that fashion. I don't know the rules in Bangladesh, but it is certainly poor practice.

I am working in an acid zinc plating of cast iron (caliper and carrier).
For acid pickling, we use HCl
Out trouble is Cl Ion in waste water. We must discharge the pickling acid into another tank and it must be exit from the company, which costs much money.
I have 2 questions:
1- what is the system of waste water treatment in presence of Cl Ion.
2- can I have a formulation from H2SO4 pickling for cast iron parts?
Thanks a lot,

asghar norouzi
- tehran, iran

41896

A. Hi Asghar...

1. I do not believe that there is any practical way to treat chlorides because they are so soluble, but using inhibitors (so acid is not wasted dissolving iron), and an acid extender (to precipitate the iron) should help you secure significantly more life from the acid.

2. Cast iron is more prone to smutting in sulphuric acid than in hydrochloric acid because ferric carbide is not soluble in sulphuric acid. If you seek only acid activation of the surface, a dip in a few percent of sulphuric acid may suffice, but serious pickling will probably not work.

----
Ed. note: Only our regular helpers Lyle & David have contributed answers in 3+ years now. Please offer some answers rather than just your questions, folks -- trying to teach is a wonderful way to learn. And being told by other readers why your suggestion is questionable is intensive training!
If you truly can't help with even one open question here, please surrender your 'ETP-in-charge' title: you're not qualified :-)

October 21, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Dear Friends,

I have an effluent with TDS=>3 lakhs ppm, BOD> 1 lakhs ppm, pH>11.5.
I came to a result having COD<600 ppm, pH~6.8, but TDS of the treated solution is still 54,000 ppm and that is due to NaCl only. Can anybody help me out how to reduce it in sustainable way.

Thank you in Advance

Dr. Jai Prakash Chaudhary
Researcher - Gandhinagar, Gujarat INDIA

A. Hi Dr. Chaudhary. I don't think you'll find any practical way of removing NaCl from any reasonable volume of wastewater. I think you'll need to find out exactly where the Na and Cl are coming from and reduce or replace. Good luck.

I want to treat a effluent with neutral pH, Chlorides - 120000 ppm, COD - 150000 ppm, BOD - 20000 ppm TDS - 280000 ppm. Flow - 25000 Liters / day. Kindly suggest suitable treatment process

Suryakant Samant
- Pune, Maharashtra, India

Q. Hi All,

This is Swati, I am a design engineer in Water & Waste Water Treatment company. I have an inquiry for the food industry wastewater. The wastewater parameters are as:

TSS: 59160 ppm
TDS: 204357 ppm
COD: 16000 ppm
BOD: 4000 ppm
pH: 4.11

The product will be used for irrigation. Please suggest me how to reduce the above parameters.

SWATI GULRANDHE
- Sharjah, UAE