CARC Coating? MIL-STD-171 and 171E

(-----) 2006

We are a 2 man job shop just getting started on military work and the paperwork is making me DIZZY! I saw a thread a while back on here about CARC coating but I had an additional question. We have a little job to quote that requires a final finish of 5.3.1.2 or 5.3.2.2 Mil-STD-171 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]. I talked to a plater and he said it was a zinc phosphate coating but Mil-STD-171 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] E states it requires CARC. When are you supposed to use the revised MIL-STD-171E? ASSIST doesn't have the original 171. I hope I made sense. Thank you for all your help.

Doug Paschall
- Paris, Tennessee
^

2006

A. The confusion is from a paragraph number identical to a finish number. See Table V of MIL-STD-171E for Finish Numbers.
Finish No. 5.3.1.2 is DOD-P-16232 [now MIL-DTL-16232 [link is to free spec spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]], Type M (Manganese phosphate), Class 2, treated with lubricating oil conforming to MIL-L-3150 [now Mil-PRF-3150 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]].
Finish No. 5.3.2.2 is Type Z (Zinc phosphate), Class 2, treated with MIL-C-16173 [now MIL-PRF-16173 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency / dla.mil] ] Grade 3 corrosion preventive (MIL-L-3150 oil allowed for very small parts).
The supplemental treatment product must be on the current respective QPL, either 16173 or 3150, available from ASSIST.
Generally, use current specifications in lieu of superseded ones. Note when doing so on the documentation. Occasionally, an unobtainable ECO or lack of a current equivalent necessitates using an obsolete finish to satisfy an old blueprint.

Ken Vlach [dec]
- Goleta, California

contributor of the year Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless carefully researched responses. He passed away May 14, 2015.
Rest in peace, Ken. Thank you for your hard work which the finishing world, and we at finishing.com, continue to benefit from.

^

2007

Q. NEED TO SETUP SMALL OPERATION IN-HOUSE TO APPLY DESERT TAN CARC FINISH TO ARMOR STEEL PRODUCTS THAT I AM TO MANUFACTURE FOR U.S.ARMY. NEED INSTRUCTIONS ON WHERE AND HOW TO START THIS OPERATION TO MIL SPEC.

J. SARLES
MFGR - DECATUR, Alabama
^