The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

How to dry the parts after oiling on black oxide surface

2006

Q. We are making a small stamping part with material 0.508 mm thick high-carbon spring steel 65Mn. The finish requires Black Oxide and parts must be dry. The part is assembled by hand, and it sticks somewhat to the fingers when assembling although the part looks dry. I don't know if this situation right, and can it be as dry as a part with finish Zinc plating surface?

Bill Wang
Electronics mfgr. - Dalian, Liaoning, China

2006

A. Unfortunately, our goal is questionable, Bill. It is the oil not the black oxide that provides the corrosion resistance. The oil can be very easily removed with a solvent, but the parts will rust almost instantly.

2006

Q. Ted,

Thank you very much for your answer to my question.

If it is the oil only to act the corrosion preventing function, what's the function of black oxide, because once I thought we would not oil the part if the customer didn't like the oil.

Actually, we have delivered some parts to the customer, and they intend to ask a vendor to remove the oil by a process with wood chips and ultrasonic. And the customer showed me some black oxide parts from other vendors, and it is really very dry and seems no oil on the parts. Just the parts look not bright.

I find out complete notes on the drawing concerning finish: Black Oxide - Water displacement compound ES (Hubbard-Hall) dry finish. Parts must be dry. Corrosion protection level to pass 5 hrs salt spray test per ASTM B117 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] -03. Red corrosion at sharp edges/corners on part is acceptable. Parts must be dry and clean, will be rejected if any oil still wet or sticky found on part.

So I think I am still in trouble with it, and need further help.

Best Regards,

Bill Wang [returning]
Electronic mfgr - Dalian, Liaoning, China

2006

Bill,
Many black oxide chemical suppliers also sell dry-to-touch oils and waxes which can be used instead of 'oily' oils. Sometimes called rust preventatives.

Ken Vlach
- Goleta, California
contributor of the year

Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless carefully
researched responses. He passed away May 14, 2015.
Rest in peace, Ken. Thank you for your hard work
which the finishing world continues to benefit from.

Bill,

Can you let me know who can supply that dry-to-touch oil in your area please, if you have got it? I happen to have a supplier in your area who needs the same help.

thanks in advance

Stan Zhang
- Cambridge, ON Canada
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

----
Ed. note: The 'Hubbard Hall' which was specified in that spec is one supplier; you could ask local plating supplies distributors if they handle that brand. Other brands are available. People are welcome to contact you privately about it, Stan, or you can check our Directory of Chemicals here; but sorry we can't post suggestions of brands or sources (why?)

Removing excess oil on phoshated fasteners

Q. I have 750ooo u-nut fasteners that are coated with a phos and oil surface finish excess oil has dripped to the bottom of the cartons what would the best way to solve this problem

terry tobias
- providence Rhode Island usa

A. Hi Terry. Any local plating shop who does barrel plating probably has centrifugal dryers (like the spin cycle on your washing machine, but designed for metal parts). These will fling off the excess oil without removing it all and leaving the fasteners rust-prone. Good luck.