Fish eye problem in electroless nickel plating

hill cross banner

2006

Q. I need to know if anyone has any information on "Fish Eye" formation in Electroless Nickel Plating, especially High Phosphorous Plating,

We are plating some jobs and we find this problem occurring...has this to do with any plating solution problem or any base Anyone who has any information please reply back.

Divya Siddharth
Electroless Nickel Plating, India - Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

2006

? Do you have any pictures of the defect. "Fish eye" seems like it could be different to different people.

Delia Heffernan
- Lenexa, Kansas, USA

2006

I will try to send you photos of this problem that we call as " Fish eye". It looks like a pore around which the Nickel plating seems to be lifted but it is not a blister.

Divya Siddharth [returning]
- Chennai, TamilNadu, India

2006

A. First of all I would like to know about temp. during coating,and pretreatment of substrate. I have also coated Al substrate but I did not get any fish eye type defect. But one of my friends got same problem like you. He was coating at 90 degree but I have coated at 80.
Fisheye may be due to poor adhesion of Ni particle with substrate as you are doing coating at high temp., so deposition rate is high and this would be probable reason for your problem.
Please try at 82 ° and tell me your result.

Dhananjay Kumar Singh
IITRoorkee - Roorkee, Uttaranchal, India

December 6, 2018 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hello everyone
I am facing an issue in Electroless nickel plated steel part.(cylindrical component where the internal diameter of the component is functional and critical)
We are doing ENP (Electroless nickel plating) for both steel casting part as well as bar steel. But we are facing an issue of fish eye(internal diameter surface) only in casting steel even both the materials are plated together. But not happening all the time.
My question is if the reason for the fish eye is whether the base material is casting then why it is not happening all the time?
If the problem is happening due to the process means what will be the reason?
Did the hydrogen embrittlement is the cause of this defect?
Kindly give the feedback in this regard.
Note: plating thickness is 60 microns High phosphorous electroless nickel plating. Post plating heat treatment at 345 °C for 2 hours.

GOPALAKRISHNAN MANI
En plater - Chennai, Tamil nadu,india

? Gopalakrishnan Mani,

Can you provide a picture of the "fish eyes" in this case? It's a loose term in plating and I'd like to see exactly what the defect looks like. What is the current pretreatment cycle? How are you currently rinsing the ID? How long is the cylinder? Off hand I would suspect the cleaning process isn't sufficient and you are plating over an oily substrate. It's not unreasonable for the castings to require a little more attention than the bar stock in pretreatment.

Jameson Grout
- Agawam, Massachusetts USA