-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing

topic 38806

Where to buy THF by Dupont?


Q. Hello. I have been reading on this site how to paint uPVC and make the paint stick. One of the answers was to get THF (tetrahydrocarbon^tetrahydrofuran) by Dupont, mix some colourant into it and 'bobs yer uncle'. That's all well and good but where would I source some THF, etc.

Robin A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
hobbyist - Southampton, Hampshire, England

First of two simultaneous responses -- (2005)

A. Robin,

THF ... simple, Sir ... goest thou to your local hobby shop and get some PVC primer ... now, said shop might well not have a clear primer because ... over here, anyway, the primer is coloured blue so that the plumbing inspectors can see if someone has done a proper job of 'cementing' pipe and used the 'primer' (pure or pure-ish Tetrahydrofuran) first of all prior to cementing.

Caution ... don't do this in the kitchen! There's quite a smell from THF. Apply in a well ventilated spot.

An idea ... try out some ABS solvent ... this is not so potent as THF but it might be OK to get a bond and also would not cost so much ... it's called MEK.

Happy painting.

freeman newton portrait
Freeman Newton
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

(It is our sad duty to
advise that Freeman passed away
April 21, 2012. R.I.P. old friend).

Second of two simultaneous responses -- (2005)

A. On this side of the pond, THF is tetrahydrofuran. It is a very strong solvent of PVC and shows up in many PVC cements. It can also be used as a softener of several vinyls. Trying to find it in small quantities may be difficult. If all else fails, you might try some of the scientific supply houses. It will be a lot more expensive than if you can find it in small quantities from a chemical supply house or a paint store.

James Watts
- Navarre, Florida


A. First of all THF is known as tetrahydrofuran and is a horrible smelly organic solvent. Secondly, it is sold with an additive in it to prevent to formation of explosive peroxides, so be very careful when you use it. It may be possible to buy it from a chemical supply house (e.g., Aldrich or VWR International) or a specialist hobby shop. You can also use other solvents for PVC, such as MEK / methyl ethyl ketone. This is much safer and nowhere near as smelly. Again, you will need a supply house or specialist hobby shop. However, you may be able to get some from a local chemical company.

trevor crichton
Trevor Crichton
R&D practical scientist
Chesham, Bucks, UK

March 7, 2008

Methyl ethyl ketone (butanone) is readily available in gallon quantities in just about any hardware store.

In the US at least.

Jake Johnson
- LR, Arkansas

March 2, 2012

Q. I have a question that is related to this subject.
My problem. Two pieces of PVC pipe were glued together and I need to pull the female portion of the PVC out. The female portion can be discarded however, the male portion of the pipe needs to be separated and be brought back to as pristine condition as possible so it can be used again.

Can I use MEK or another solvent to dissolve the inner male portion of the PVC (carefully) without damaging the outer female portion?

Cutting it and splicing together is not an option, the female PVC is part of a larger item that will need to be used again.

thanks in advance!


Sam Worth
- Rowlett, Texas, USA

March 6, 2012

Hi. Sam.

These pieces were joined by "solvent welding", not "gluing". Please take a minute to clear your mind of the image of two separate fittings glued together, and think in terms of a single new piece. The only way to separate them may be to machine away what you no longer want; I'm not sure.

In one paragraph you say you can discard the female portion but must save the male portion; in the next you say you want to dissolve the male portion but must not damage the female portion, so please clarify :-)

Luck and Regards,

Ted Mooney,
Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey

May 3, 2013

Q. Hi,
I am doing solvent bonding with THF to join TPU sheet material.
I get fair results if I spray and allow dwell time, re-spray and clamp under pressure.
Someone told me they wetted it really quick and rolled it with a rolling pin; I tried that and got poor results.
I seems that the THF causes uneven surface height because the THF attacks the surface and melts it.
I was using the smooth side of the material versus the matte side ... which may work better?
The THF dissolves extremely quick, is there an additive or a better solvent to bond with?

Dennis Schreuer
- Palm Desert, California, United States

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2017     -    Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.