Barrel plating

1999

Hi, my name is raul. I've past by your website and it was very interesting place. I would just like to inquire regarding a certain topic about low cost anodizing of barrels and easy procedures on how to do them. Well of course, include also the ingredients of barrel plating. I'm just a student and I would like to make a demo in regards to metal plating particularly in barrel plating. Is it possible to anodize a steel barrel? Thank you very much in giving time to read my letter. Hoping for your answer in the coming days to come.

raul

Raul Tagana
- philippines

1999

Anodization is a process of carefully-engineered oxidation (or rusting). It is applicable to materials such as aluminum, magnesium, titanium, and zinc which are capable of forming a tight, non-porous, adherent, oxidized surface which can retard further corrosion. The oxidation product of steel (rust) is a spongy, water-absorbing, porous material, so steel is not a material that is anodized.

We have an article on-line here about barrel plating.