How to black oxide Inconel

(2005)

I am new to the wire industry and would like to know how to continuous oxide Inconel wire in small diameters.

George Potter
Bob Martin Company - So. el Monte, California, USA

(2005)

A. Sorry, George, I am not familiar with black oxiding of Inconel. But what properties are you seeking and why. Thanks.

Black Oxide plating on Inconel 718 possible?

Q. Hi, I sent out an Inconel 718 part for black oxide plating and the platers told me that they cannot black oxide Inconel 718. They tried to multiple times, but it will not work. Multiple other platers told me the same. Anyone here know if black oxide is possible on Inconel 718? Thank you!

Kendrick Kim
- Union City, California USA

A. Hi Kendrick. Black oxide, according to the common vernacular, is a process for building an extremely thin (no dimensional change) black finish on steel. It happens because nitrite and other oxidizing aids in the boiling hot caustic are able to convert the surface of steel parts to this black oxidized condition. But Inconel 718 is extremely resistant to such oxidation, being over half nickel, plus 19% or so chromium, another something like 10% between molybdenum, columbium, titanium & cobalt, leaving less than 20% iron ... so I would agree with the plating shops you've contacted.

Depending on exactly why you want/need a black finish, maybe you should talk to PVD coaters about applying a thin, hard, black layer. Good luck.

thumbs up sign Hi Ted, understood! That's exactly the conclusion I came to myself, but wanted to confirm that here with the pros. I am confident now in stating this to the customer. Cheers.

Kendrick Kim [returning]
- Union City, California USA