Home /
Search 🔍
the Site

Chime right in! (no registration req'd)


"Looking for resource that explains the electroform process for CDs/DVDs"


I work in a CD/DVD Plant, I know how to make Mothers/Fathers/Stampers from the Glass master, but the thing I am wondering is exactly how it all works. Is there a resource somewhere on the net that actually explains it all, it seems that no one I work with really even cares about how the process works, they are just there for the paycheck.

I want to have the ability to actually break down and explain to people what I actually do rather then just say I make cds/dvds.

Thank you in advance for any Link you may have that would help me.

Jeremy Werkheiser
Electroform/Finishing - Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA


Your ambition is laudable, Jeremy, but I don't quite understand the question. If you already know how to make each progressive stage from the master to the stamper, and you realize that the stamper is used as the mold for the CD, what is it that you don't understand? There really isn't a difference between a father and a stamper. The reason you go through those additional steps is that if you used the father as a stamper, production would be limited and it would wear out. By making mothers (reverse images of the father) you can make stampers (reverse images of the mothers).

If you google "mother father stamper" you'll find some sites that explain the steps.

Ted Mooney, finishing.com
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha
finishing.com - Pine Beach, New Jersey


I meant, what I wanted to learn about was the actual process, not just the manual labor of moving stuff around and pushing the buttons to turn on the machines.

I'd like to know how the solution and the different current makes an exact duplicate of the original plate but reversed.

Why and how it works basically.

They teach you enough to run the machines, but they don't explain what actually happens at all which is what I want to know.

Jeremy Werkheiser
- Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA


Oh, okay. I didn't realize that had you that far away from the actual process. It's called 'electroforming', which is actually exactly the same thing as electroplating except for the name. When you coat something with metal and the coating is supposed to stay on the object it's called electroplating; whereas when the plated layer itself is the actual object, it's called electroforming.

Inside the machine is a vat full of a water solution with nickel sulphamate salts dissolved in it. Electricity is applied to the master or the father or the mother and the dissolved nickel ions (Ni++) are attracted to the workpiece, which is negatively charged by the power supply or rectifier. When two electrons on the workpiece encounter a dissolved nickel ion, they reduce it to an atom of metallic nickel which forms exactly on that point on the workpiece. The same thing happens to billions of other nickel ions and gradually a metallic nickel object has been formed. This item was formed right against the original item and will be a mirror image of it.

That's the principle. If you're interested, you can get a book about electroforming. Good luck.

Ted Mooney, finishing.com
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha
finishing.com - Pine Beach, New Jersey

finishing.com is made possible by ...
this text gets replaced with bannerText
spacer gets replaced with bannerImages

Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread SEARCH for Threads about ... My Topic Not Found: Start NEW Thread

Disclaimer: It's not possible to fully diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations might be harmful.

If you are seeking a product or service related to metal finishing, please check these Directories:

Chemicals &
Consult'g, Train'g
& Software

About/Contact    -    Privacy Policy    -    ©1995-2021 finishing.com, Pine Beach, New Jersey, USA