Composition of cold blackening solutions for steel, iron, ferrous metal

1995

Q. I am interested in locating any available information on blackening processes for steel, stainless and brass. My preference would be for a cold process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

D Vanek

Birchwood-Casey Gun Bluing

1995

A. Hi, D. Room-temperature blackening is do-able but more expensive and overall a less satisfactory finish than hot black oxide. We have a quick FAQ intro to cold blackening on line. The Metal Finishing Guidebook has a chapter with formulas for solutions for blackening and coloring metals. But better results will usually be obtained with proprietary blackening systems available from the suppliers listed in our directory or in the yellow pages.

For hobbyist level work, Gun Blue is readily available. Good luck!

1996

Q. Want cold black coloring process for D2 steel?

Acid resistant, scratch resistant, hard enough . . .

Sayid Budiseno

1996

A. Hello, Sayid.

There are room temperature blackening solutions offered by EPI (Electrochemical Products Inc.) [a finishing.com supporting advertiser], Heatbath and others. We have a brief intro about Hot Black Oxide vs. Cold Blackening on line here, and you'll finder deeper coverage in the Metal Finishing Guidebook.

But I think if you are looking for a hard, acid resistant, scratch resistant, finish you may need to think in terms of black nickel, or some other process significantly more complex than a room temperature blackening dip. Good luck!

To minimize your searching efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined some threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

2001

Q. I want to blacken iron at room temperature. Is there any way to do it? Also, what is the chemical to be used? I would be interested in making my own rather than buying it.

Rajiv Vyas
- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India

2001

A. Hi, Mr. Yvas. Sorry that I don't know, and will have to answer the same way I answer many people from outside the U.S.A. Basically, people here very rarely "make their own" metal finishing chemicals anymore, so you'll find little about it in our journals anymore; most of the people who know the formulations are employed by the suppliers and obligated to not reveal the formulations.

However, at least some room temperature blackening solutions are selenium and copper based, and you may find general formulation ideas in the journals and technical conference proceedings of 20 to 30 years ago if you do a literature search of that period.

Personally, I find the very best room temperature blackening, developed over a period of decades, to not even be in the same class as hot black oxides. So I think your chances of developing your own satisfactory room temperature blackening chemistry might be slim. Good luck.

2003

A. Cold black for iron:
tannic acid .......20 gm
tartaric acid......20 gm
water..............1 lit

Cold black II:
coper sulphate.......100 gm
selenic acid..........45 gm
nitric acid...........50 gm
water.................1 lit

- Zagreb,Croatia

2002

Q. Dear sir,

I want to blacken the mild steel sheets I mean to give them a black colour with copper and selenium based material at room temperature, please guide me in this regard. I want to do it for corrosion prevention as well as to beautify the material.

MUHAMMAD NADEEM
- Islamabad, Pakistan

2002

A. We have an FAQ about Black Oxide and Cold Blackening, Muhammad. The Metal Finishing Guidebook includes a very good treatment of this subject. Missing will be the exact formulations of modern cold blackening solutions, however, as this is the proprietary knowledge of the companies who have invested in the experimentation. Cold blackening offers no corrosion resistance, although a wax or oil you may finish it off with will help a little.

2005

Q. Dear reader

We are a manufacturer of finishing products in India. Would like get help on :
1. Composition of cold blackening solution of Ferrous metal.
2. Process

Suraj Goyal
chemicals - Mumbai, India

2005

A. We have an FAQ about Black Oxide on line here as a quick intro. After that, you could consult the Metal Finishing Guidebook. Then do a lit search and expired patent search. Best of luck with it.

2005

A. Dear Suraj!
You can use next solution:

6 gms selenic acid
10 gms copper sulphate
4-6 ml nitric acid(1,34 gm/cm3)
1 lit water
20-25 °C temp.
according to Detnner/Elze: Handbuch der Galvanotecnik,1966.

Q. I shall be highly thankful if someone could be given me a guideline for the following: I want to know which compound is used as a surface conditioner / surface activation before Room temperature cold blackening process. It activates the iron surfaces and promotes the formation of uniform, dense and black coating.

Rajkumar Shah
Metal Treatment Chemicals - SURAT, Gujarat State, INDIA

Analytical procedure for Selenium Copper blackening solution?

Q. I'm looking for analytical procedures to test Se/Cu based darkening solutions. I have some ideas but some guidance would be most welcome. Birchwood Casey offers a 'send us a sample' but they are not specific about what they do. I like to do it myself.

I have an inclination towards ORP measurements; also, total acidity and pH.

Please help.

Q. Hi Sir,

I have the same problem in composition of Se in cold method for darkening copper.

Can anyone help me about detection of selenium?

Asmaa el-sayed
Chemical Engineer - Alexandria, Egypt

A. I think the reactions are as follows:

1) SeO2 2- + 6H+ + 2Zn(s) >> Se2- + 3H2O + 2Zn2+

2) 2Cu2+ + Zn(s) >> 2Cu+ + Zn2+

3) 2Cu+ + Se2- >> Cu2Se

Looks balanced to me. This would make the reaction sharply dependent on H+ conc. and the Zn content of the brass.

There is a colorimetric method for Se based on 1, 4 diaminobenzidine, which sounds, and is, carcinogenic. But it's SeO32-, not total Se that's important.

Q. Hi
I want to blue (blacken ) hunting shotgun barrels -- Cold or Hot could I be given me any formula for this?

Antonis Tsangari
- LATSIA NICOSIA CYPRUS

A. Hi Antonis. Goran offers 3 cold-bluing formulas on the page you are viewing.

TUTORIAL FOR NEWBIES:

People study chemistry in school, then tend to assume that the way surface finishing is done is by mixing raw commodity chemicals per their school lessons and coming up with their own experimental process solutions. But just as people buy shotguns rather than building their own these days, people in most of the world buy well developed proprietary processes rather than starting the development process over for themselves.

In addition to this cold bluing thread, we also have many threads about hot blackening -- thread 11740, "Black oxide formula for Hot Blueing of Guns/Firearms" should help you. But note that there is more to hot bluing than the formula, and that it is very dangerous due to the risk of this hot solution erupting (water instantly flashing to steam); use it only with full protective equipment and in a proper industrial setting. Good luck!