-----

"ALUMINUM GRINDING"

2005

Good afternoon Sirs, I have some questions, I need quote one aluminum plate of 16"x24"x0.500", but the customer requirement is "aluminum tooling plate with grinding and mirror finished". The Customer show me a sample and it's likes a mirror.

The customer comment me that he need the grinding finished by motives of flatness.

My question are:
1.- It is possible to grinding he surface of the aluminum plate? and how it is this possible?
2.- Somebody would say me where I can buy the aluminum plate with this mirror finished?

Afredo Parra
automation company - Cd. Juare Chih.
^

2005

Aluminum is very soft so it tends to clog most every kind of abrasive wheel thus leaving deep scratches. It is better to machine very fine with a cutting tool, then take it to a mold polishing shop that has experience with aluminum. Then, have it chrome plated and polished back again. Another option is to nickel+chrome plate it w/o final polish if a shiny aspect is desired and severe wear is not an issue.

^

2005

It is possible using the blanchard grinding process. You will typically get around a 25 RMS on Cast Aluminum Tooling Plate (Mic-6, Alca Plus). You can find more information on these products from Alcoa or Ryerson.

Bryan Parker
- New Mexico
^

2005

Alfredo,
Read what Mr Bryan Write I'm agree with him-

Anders Sundman
Anders Sundman
4th Generation Surface Engineering
Consultant - Arvika, Sweden

^

2005

RMS 25 is far from being mirror. I doubt any grinder will give you mirror finish on aluminum. You need a lapping machine or manual polishing. Of course you can have it plated for better hardness and durability.

^

2005

To make the mirror polish, it's best if you can find any articles in the web with the words "lapping".

The search can include computer heat sinks web pages.

I think you need to reach about 1000-grade polish before any real reflections appear.

Yong Tze Shoong
- Gudang, Johor, Malaysia
^