Painting outdoor aluminum furniture

(2005)

Q. I want to paint my peeling aluminum outdoor patio chairs and table. Can I? Do I have to sand first. Do I have to prime. Can I paint the furniture?

Julie Durante
Homemaker - Bolton, Ontario, Canada

I am also asking the same question. Have you gotten any responses? My table is peeling and I need to find out if I need to prime it first, and what kind of paint I can use. Please let me know if you get any responses. Good Luck! Dawn

Dawn Baynard
- Lake Wales, Florida, USA

A. Hi, folks. Recognizing that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, you must scrape/sand away anything that lacks adhesion because the old paint can fall off and the new paint with it. Yes, aluminum should be primed with a paint designed to be an aluminum primer. =>

Q. Thank you, Mr. Mooney. Can I then paint the table with any kind of spray paint?

Dawn Baynard[returning]
- Lake Wales, Florida, USA

A. Yes. Most sprays like Rustoleum and Krylon are for outdoor use. Just read the label first because a few paints are for specialty purposes like indoor use or for craft projects.

Covermaxx Matte Black

Q. Can you recommend a primer suitable to prime cast aluminum? I have the same problem with my cast aluminum patio furniture, 2" areas of lifting paint. Does it have to be epoxy based primer? I want a super matte finish similar to Krylon Covermaxx super matte primer. After using an appropriate primer on aluminum, can I use this primer (for its finish look) even though it is a black primer? =>
Also, can you list the step by step process for preparing the piece for priming and painting.

Nikki Lange
- Meridain, Idaho

A. Hi Nikki.
We've found that we can't post recommendations for one particular brand over another because the page quickly becomes a spamfest, with salespeople even posing as satisfied customers, but

Latex Self-Etching Primer

... here's a link to a primer made for aluminum and galvanized surfaces which should be fine =>

As previously mentioned, if you have loose paint you must scrape or wire brush it off first. Then, for best results, surfaces should be cleaned before painting. A scrub brush and a pail of Spic 'n Span [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or similar should be fine. Then hose it down, let dry, and prime. Good luck.