-- this is a no-registration site.

-----

"Passivation and Testing of Titanium"

2005

I am in the process of developing a passivation system for a small medical device company in the Midwest. I have experience with passivation and testing of stainless steels. I am looking for information on passivation and testing for Titanium, especially testing after the passivation process. I have acquired most of the ASTM and other industry standard on passivation and testing, but none mention Titanium. Any suggestions?

Ed Redmon
Medical Device Manufacturer - Indiana
^

2005

Titanium is naturally passive and the reason you cannot find a specification for the passivation of titanium is probably that there isn't one.

If you are worried about iron contamination after machining or shot blasting then you could try using a 50% nitric acid dip for 15 minutes.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK
^

2005

Ed,
Brian is right, so-called passivation of titanium is normally just the removal of iron contamination. Citric acid formulations can be used for this as well. Let us know if we can help.

ray kremer
^

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]