The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Clear coat sealer for cast iron

Some clearcoating solutions (adv.)    g j nikolas banner   everbrite banner  

2005

Q. I have an outdoor fountain made of cast iron. I need a clear coat sealer to keep it from rusting. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Steve Johnson
- Columbia, South Carolina

2005

Q. Would like to know if you found anything. I, too, have a cast iron bird bath that I need some sort of sealer to stop it from rusting. HELP...PLEASE....SOMEONE.

Kathleen Leffew
- North Carolina

Contemporary Patination

2005

A. According to a metal sculpture workshop I took in preservation of metal/bronze items, the best coating is marine varnish with a UV additive. Even with that, the maintenance on the item should be every 6 months for upkeep. There is a book by Ron Young "Contemporary Patinization" that explains the care of outdoor fountains from rust and bird poop =>

"You must put a stop to rust..."

alicia moreno
Alicia Moreno
Escondido, San Diego No., California

A. I was looking for an answer to this and have found on other sites a reference to a product called POR-15 [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]; I have not tried it yet, but will give it a shot. I just thought I'd share.

It is ridiculously expensive though :-(

Robert Champney
- Orlando, Florida USA

Clear lacquer for cast iron bathtub

Q. Can anyone one help, we manufacture cast iron baths and some of the baths are polished on the outside of the bath and are lacquered. The problem we have is that some eventually start to rust under the lacquer, this can happen prior to fitting (thank goodness) so somehow we are getting I guess moisture trapped under the lacquer. So my question is does anyone have experience in this and have a process that can eliminate such problems.
Steve

Steve Thompson
- Lincolnshire UK

A. The full process details would have been more helpful, but try heating the cast iron bathtub at 120 degrees C for about 30 minutes Effective Metal Temperature. That will drive the moisture out from the porosity inherent in the casting. All to cool before you carry out the next step but do no leave it long without the protective coating. All the best.

Gurvin Singh
Coatec India
Mohali, Punjab, India
coatec india

A. Gurvin has a great idea. Another way is to use multiple steps, similar to the steps you are using now but to add a few additional steps. For example, you may need to use more than one coat and not just go straight to the lacquer, instead use a primer prior to final top coat. You may find it's best to use a color that mimics the original coloring or go with something more common like black.

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California

thumbs up signHi and many thanks for the responses, much appreciated. I will update once we have come to a resolved state of play.
Steve

Stephen Thomspson
- Lincolnshire, UK

I am also looking for a finish to stand the elements. This company claims to have a product specifically for fountains called Permalac 2k

Shamus Quinly
- Kansas City, Missouri USA

Q. I have a school Bell from 1886 ... what is the best clear coating product to keep it from rusting?

Barbara Kathryn Barnes
- Kenner, Louisiana

A. Hi Barbara. I'm surprised that it's made out of cast iron rather than brass or bronze. But I think the thinner single-component coatings like Everbrite [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] are best towards not distorting the peal of a bell than heavier two-component coatings. If it actually is brass or bronze you might consider brass lacquer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] because they are periodically redone fairly easily.

Q. Please help, I have a iron cast sculpture angel that was painted a cream color that was starting to rust. In one year outside it's starting to rust more. Paint is flaking off. How can I preserve it with clear sealant before it gets worse. I don't want to repaint it, just seal it to prevent further flaking.

35232-1

Bjean stutts
- Maumelle, Arkansas

A. Hi Bjean. Unfortunately I think your plan to maintain that lovely statue is unlikely to work. Clearcoats are not shrink wrap and will not stop the paint from flaking. Applying them on top of flaking paint and loose rust will likely only result in the clearcoat and paint coming off together.

But try a thin penetrating clearcoat like Everbrite [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] and hope for the best. Eventually you may want to have it abrasive blasted and phosphated before painting.