-- this is a no-registration site.

-----

"Restoring patina on pewter"

2005

A good hearted soul decided to clean my pewter for me while I was on vacation. Sadly, the lovely old patina was removed. Is there a simple method with chemicals around the house to restore the patina? I know how to antique brass and wonder if the same process would work for pewter. Thank you.

Laura Bradley
No Company - Connecticut
^

2005

I haven't done it myself, but yes I think the same technique and materials will work on pewter.

^

"Patinas"

2005

You can use 2oo gm iron chloride/1 lit water solution.Cold immersion! Only grease and oxide free objects can be coloured!

^

2005

I would be interested in knowing how to chemically patina brass and pewter. I know how to patina copper and zinc but not these metals. Thank you.

GERALDINE MM. WILLINGHAM
- Dunedin, Florida, USA
^

2005

Did you try Mr. Budija's suggestion for the pewter? An inexpensive and simple way that has been recommended by a couple of readers is a wax rub like Rub'N'Buff [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]. This sounds rather impermanent, but it's a tool you might want to try.

If you know how to patina zinc, please respond to one or more of the letters like 11584 and 31486 where people were looking for info on that. Thanks.

^