The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

How to patina new zinc sheeting and make it look old/antique

2004

Black Patina for Zinc

Q. What does one use to patina new zinc rolled sheeting and make it look like weathered zinc (blue-grey in finish)? I am an artist who currently works with copper patina, but would like to begin to work with zinc. I would be so grateful for any information.

Deanna Rich
artist - El Segundo, California, USA

2004

A. You can use 200 gm iron chloride/1 lit water solution (cold immersion, cca. 20 min.)! Good luck!

- Zagreb , Croatia

2004

Q. Thanks Goran,

What does "cold immersion cca 20 minutes" mean?

Deanna Rich [returning]
- El Segundo, California, USA

2004

A. 1. I don't know which degreaser you use -- you can use Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or pure alcohol!

2. "cca 20 min" = "approximately 20 minutes".

- Zagreb , Croatia

2006 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. We are building a new home and have built a bathroom vanity out of wood which we covered in zinc. We ordered the zinc from a metal company. It came in a sheet and we sent it to a sheet metal company to cover it. I now have it ready to install, but it is still brand new and shiny. I know it will age with soap and water over time, but I want it to age now. What can I use to expedite this process?

Beth Crowe
home builder / designer - Cleveland, Mississippi

Antiquing a Zinc Floor

Q. Hi; I am a painter but I have been asked to age a floor made up of zinc panels. I have done some research about using copper sulphate and hydrochloric acid but I am not sure do I dilute them? And also I need to protect the finish (bearing in mind it's a floor). Does anyone know of any good products? Any insight would be welcome. Thank you.

Tash Shepherd
Painter - London, Uk

Pledge (Future) floor finish

A. If you are sure that your floor is made of zinc than you can use next formula: 2 heaping teaspoons copper sulphate, 1 heaping teaspoon kitchen salt, 1 cup of water. Dark gray to black finish.

Try Future floor finish (or Pledge - new name for same product). Hope it helps and good luck!

Adding patina to galvanized metal

September 17, 2019 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. This is my situation. I have an outside galvanized metal plant container that I want to add a patina to. I have seen some galvanized containers that actually look like the old lead containers from England. Wondering how to achieve that result. Thanks.

Brian Michaud
- Albany, New York USA

----
Ed. note: Readers may be interested in closely related thread no. 27794, "Safe, even black patina on zinc. Bronze patina on zinc?".