Pre coating for sublimation transfers onto ceramic

(2005)

Q. I would like to find a liquid that I could apply on ceramic tiles to allow me to have a base coating(polymer type or other )to accept sublimation transfers.

I am experimenting on my own to do my sublimation transfers onto tiles that I can coat myself without having to buy pre coated tiles designated for sublimation printing onto tiles.

The reason of my inquiry is that I want to develop in Tunisia a tile decorating business using local tiles with sublimation hot transfer printing. Commercially pre coated tiles for sublimation transfers are not available in Tunisia.

I would appreciate any advice or information on this subject.

Sincerely yours

Ameur Ben Arab
- San Francisco, California

Sublimation Coating for hard materials

Sublimation Coating for cotton fabric

A. Hi, folks. According to coating consultant Carl Izzo, Nov. 2005, in Products Finishing magazine: two-component polyester coatings are suggested. For small jobs, polyester casting and coating resins are available from craft stores. For larger projects, mix the components and use a conventional spray gun (using it up quickly and cleaning the equipment because of the short shelf life) or use a two-head spray gun. I have no personal experience in this though.

We apologize but we had to delete some helpful replies because when a reader suggested a source, other manufacturers naturally felt that they needed to add not just their "us too", but their "we're better than the other guys". Sorry but we can't encourage a race to the bottom this way, a ridiculous spamfest, let alone ask the site's supporting advertisers (who make this forum possible) to pay the costs of their competitors glowingly promoting themselves.

A. The answer is simple and it will solve all your coating problems. Go to your local automotive paint supplier and buy the best white primer and matching clearcoat and that is all you need. Let it dry for 24 hours or bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees and you are ready to sublimate on any surface, porous or non-porous.

Wilfredo Torres
- Ponce, Puerto Rico

thumbs up sign Thanks Wilfredo!

A. Mix Acetone maximum 10% with Polyester resin and apply onto Ceramic mug/tile. Dry naturally and then bake at 200 °C.

Sharif Tajma
ceramic industry - Bangladesh

Q. When you use primer and clear coat, do you mix it together or apply seperately and can you coat wood, glass or ceramic

Shirley Knight
NA - Poulton-le-fylde Lancashire, England

Hi Shirley. You would certainly not mix two different paint systems like a primer and a clearcoat. You apply the primer first, then the clearcoat.

But other than that, I'm not sure if I understand the question, and don't want to mislead you. Many paints, including epoxies and automotive clearcoats, are 2K (2-part, 2-component) systems; they don't "dry" -- rather the two components chemically react with each other to cause the hardening. Wilfredo is implying that this advice will work on any surface. Good luck.

Q. I am wondering ... you say that you can use automotive paints to sublimate, I need to use on Tiles also. Is the product everlasting, can it withstand water and sun?
since it is a automotive paint? can the tiles be used to walk upon?
I really want to try this method, just i am trying to find the correct paint suggested which you suggested is " best white primer and matching clear coat"
I will try this, and keep all posted with results
I have a press and i currently do printing on aluminum, so it will be interesting to know

Stephanie McGehee
Metal Fusion Kuwait - kuwait city, Kuwait

Q. Same coating use on mug, what is sublimation liquid, and is it harmful for health?

Mitesh vanjalkar
- Nagpur, maharashtra, India

A. Just a response to this sublimation subject. I tried most of the suggested methods in this thread and a previous one. I found the auto clear coat suggestion a winner for sublimation on tile. I tried bisque tile and store bought ceramic floor tile with high success. I used a 4 to 1 system from a auto paint store. I waited two days after coating, then, after trials, found that 400 °F for 6 minutes with medium pressure was a good recipe. My next clear coat purchase will probably be a 2 to 1 system which I'm told produces a thicker coating.

Dennis Moore
NW Gyotaku - Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Thank you for all this information. I want to do small craft projects. I am still wondering: after putting on the car paint and letting it rest 24 hours, is it safe to put it in my home oven? Or chemicals will be in the breathing air afterwords? Or I should not worry?

Thank you very much,

Andreanne Charbonneau-D.
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hi Andreanne. Maybe someone else will give you justification to do this, but my opinion, quoted from other letters on this site is:

Kitchen ovens should be reserved solely for food service. That's harsh I know -- but it's just not a good idea to try to decide which facets of what hobbies and home & auto repairs can be pushed just how far in your food oven. It's human nature that if you don't get a separate oven the first time, you never will; and with each project you'll keep increasing the risk further and further :-)

Q. Hello, I am wondering if you need to use the white automotive paint or if you can just clear coat a mug you already have that is already a light color?

LaVonna Hardin
- Yuba City, California USA

Hi LaVonna. It seems to me that Wilfredo is implying that the clear coat, rather than the white paint, is what absorbs the sublimated gasses. But whether the clearcoat will reliably stick to your mug without a primer is probably a subject for trial & error. Please share & share alike and let us know what happened.

Q. Concerning the white auto primer and clear coat. You mentioned that a chemical reaction is what hardens the finish. Is the primer allowed to dry before applying the CC, or is the CC applied immediately after the primer?

Jim Sears
- Jeffersonville, Ohio USA

A. Hi Jim. I do neither sublimation nor auto painting so all I'd be doing is guessing -- but I'd bet that almost any employee of an body repair shop employee can answer :-)