We've been doing this for 23+ years.
When's our turn to go viral? smiley

Color Anodizing in Home Shop

(2003)

Q. I am more into wood, and make walking sticks [not to sell] out of many unique things, shapes, and materials, handle shapes and materials, etc. Obviously old ski poles are the ultimate in material and with additions and accoutrements, would make many an interesting result. Salvage is half the fun, and good aluminum or alloy ones abound at garage sales, hence scratched and worn. Most, or many are originally colored with something that is not a coating, without professionally anodizing, or whatever, is there something or someway to color them anew?

Roger Newman
hobbyist consultant but not in metal, rubber. - Roscoe, Illinois

(2003)

A. Hi Roger. The poles were anodized, and if you don't want to paint them, but to get a finish similar to the original, you would need to strip the old anodizing, re-anodize, dye, and seal. Some hobbyists do anodizing themselves, it's certainly not impossible -- but ski poles would require process tanks that are larger than most hobbyists would want to fool with. Good luck.

(2004)

Q. I would like to anodize a set of aluminum grip panels on a USPSA Open class racegun. The gun has a red C-More dot sight on a hard chromed slide/frame. I would like to blue anodize these grip panels to give it a "Stars and Stripes" theme. The obstacle is that there are no avenues for this process anywhere near my vicinity. I was told that I could do this in my shop but I'm rather skeptical about the outcome and overall quality of the finished product. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Haman
GUNSMITHING - Coralville, Iowa, USA

(2004)

A. Sure you can do it in your shop - just as soon as you acquire a few hundred hours of knowledge and spend a few tens of thousands of dollars, and get the necessary environmental permits.

Seriously - a quick web search will lead you to an anodizing shop you can UPS your parts to and get them done right.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg,
      South Carolina

A. Hi Tom. If you are a hobbyist rather than a business, you may not need permits, although you'll need environmental & safety knowledge. Gold Touch [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] will sell you what you need for hobby anodizing ... but as a gunsmith like yourself knows, there's a lot more to becoming an artist than just buying a paintbrush :-)

(2004)

A. It's not too hard to do it yourself ... as already noted it's the environmental issues that can hinder you. I have a basic "garage" style setup that cost me under $500 to setup ... and yes it took me many many hours of research to get the results I wanted. If you want to outsource the job maybe try looking through paintball magazines/websites. They are used to doing small batches and can be fairly affordable.

Do you have any idea which aluminum alloy it is? Some alloys anodize much much better that others.

Jason Aube
- Flint, Michigan

(2004)

A. Here's a web site with tons of helpful info and chemicals to get you started. They also have a Yahoo forum that is full of lots of great people eager to help, as well as great info: www.focuser.com/anodize.html

Ray C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA

----
Ed. note: That link is now broken. Indeed nearly all links break quickly, which is at odds with our efforts here since 1995 to build a durable reference site ...

So we don't much like links, but we ask that if they are offered, they include at least the title of the article and a very brief abstract so we have some chance of re-finding them, and they not just be bandwidth & time wasters for our readers. The other problem with links is that for us to find which links across our large site have been sold to malware sites or link farms is a major problem :-(

(2005)

Q. How does one "dye" the anodized aluminum?

Regina Mortland
hobbyist - Duxbury, Massachusetts

Artists Anodizing Aluminum: The Sulfuric Acid Process

(2005)

A. Hi Regina. You cannot dye objects which you have found that are anodized aluminum, if that is the question.

Rather, the anodizing and dyeing are intimately related steps in an integrated process. The aluminum is prepped, anodized, dyed (or not), and sealed. Once the aluminum has been sealed it can absorb no dye. You might find our "Introduction to Anodizing" helpful.

I am not a hobbyist and have not reviewed the book Artists Anodizing Aluminum, but it sounds useful to hobbyists =>

(2005)

I started experimenting some hobby anodizing at home. I started off using battery acid (those in the car-mart), aluminium foil leads and pumping a 12V at 300mA through the solution.

I saw very tiny bubbles frizzing off the leads and let it go on for 30 mins. After that, I soak the leads in fabric cold fabric dye. I realised that the aluminium leads does not absorb the colour.

The aluminium lead is still frizzing off with bubbles when I off the power supply. Can anyone advise why my aluminium lead does not absorb the fabric dye?

Swee Peow, Chia
hobbyist - Singapore

(2005)

A. Try running the part through longer...maybe an hour (the thicker the anodize the deeper the color).

Heat up the dye to about 130-140 °F; at room temp the dye doesn't penetrate the anodize well. Soak the anodized part in the dye for a good 15 mins.

Perhaps try getting some chunks of 6061 to anodize, that alloy anodizes well and is very common.

Your power supply may not be what is needed. I don't know the specifications, and the little anodizing I've done I used a battery charger and the anodize drew what was needed.

Jason Aube
- Flint, Michigan

Q. Dear sir,
I would like to ask, can a powder coat powder be mixed in water and used as dye for anodising aluminum? Or is there other suitable Dyes that can be used other than anodising dye?

Thanks for you answer.

mario tomas
home anodising - manila,Philippines

Rit Dyes from Fabric.com

A. Hi Mario. Powder coating powder is plastic and it will not dissolve in water. And the particles are far too big to enter the anodizing pores anyway. But if you are just playing around, trying to get familiar with hobby anodizing, then fabric dye can be used (although it's durability is questionable). Good luck.

Q. I have read many threads on how to fix anodizing problems, but I have come to understand that a solution that works for them might not work for me. I have detailed my anodizing process hoping someone can help improve my process. Any advice on how to improve my anodizing process for relatively cheap would be deeply appreciated

Goal
The result I am trying to achieve is a glossy/bright dye finish. I am anodizing Alum 5005 14 gauge Approx. 8 Square foot and Alum 6063 extrusion approx. 10 Square foot. I want to make custom business signs (outside signs). I choose these two materials for two reasons: they anodize well and can be used for structural. If there are better alloys I am open for suggestions

Problems
I have a discoloration problem:
32971-1
Fig 1: Before I used a rag to wipe the excess powder

32971-5
Fig 5: before I wipe the extra powder away

Another problem I have is when I am done dye anodizing and sealing the part, there is powder left on the part:
32971-3
Fig 3 before wiping the part

32971-4
Fig 4: wiping half the part

When I ran my finger across the part, the dye powder appears on my finger and a finger mark appears on the part.
I am a college student and I can't afford most of the testing equipment (example: salt spray testing). Is there an affordable way I can test my parts for anodization and sealing?
Trial material (I can't afford to test on a large piece, so I am using smaller pieces hoping to replicate on larger pieces once I get the formula down)
Aluminum 6063 Extruded 6" X 2" Rectangle 2.6 Square FT. I haven't done any 5005 because none of my local suppliers carry it in small sizes.

The process
(I followed this process: gordsgarage.wordpress.com/tag/home-anodizing/)

I begin by prepping the part I use a polishing grinder to get a mirror like finish (This process takes a long time, are there any other faster methods?)
I dampen a cloth in Acetone and I rub the wax off from the polishing process.
I place the part in a degreaser that has been heated up to 160 °F for 5 min.
I use a spray bottle with distilled water to rinse the part (I will have to switch to a bath rinse on big parts)
At this step I use aluminum de-oxidizer & desmut to etch the part at 72 °F for 5 min. I think I will stop this since I did a run without it and the parts were much brighter/glossier.

Anodizing the part
I mix 4.5 distilled water and 1.5 sulfuric acid (battery acid). For a 3:1 ratio
The cathode plates and anode are made from scrap aluminum I found laying around. I don't know the Alloy. I use 5356 TIG welding filler as my hanging wire.
I used the 720 rule anodizing calculator. My part is 2.6 square FT. The thickness I want is .8 mils and the current destiny I am using is 5 amp/square Ft. In my power supply I set the current at 13 Amp. voltage at 12.5 for 115 minutes.
I use a small aquarium pump for agitation. Unless coming really close to the bath you can't tell there is any agitation. Does this make a difference?
When I start anodizing the bath is at 71 °F. I noticed toward the end it had risen to 78 °F.
I use a spray bottle with distilled water to rinse down the part.
I place the part in the die solution which has been heated to 140 °F for 6 minutes.
I seal the part in boiling distilled water at >100°F. I use a stove so the temperature gets hotter and hotter for 30 to 45 min (No temperature control see Fig 6)

Products I use
Polish: zephyrpro40.com/product/super-shine-x-polishing-kit/
Acid: www.oreillyauto.com/detail/super-start-4994/chemicals---fluids-16461/battery-chemicals-17661/battery-acid/5gal/4742476 Dye, Cleaner degreaser, and Desmut from a hobby plating supplier.

32971-2
Fig 2: After I used a rag to wipe the excess powder

32971-6
Fig 6: pot I use to heat up everything and seal the parts

32971-7
Fig 7: Cathode, I use 300 Amp car jumper cable to clamp on the brass bolt

32971-8
Fig 8: Anode rack and bath

Brian Kiragu
- Reynoldsburg, Ohio

Problems with color consistency

Q. Hello, first timer here. I have two questions I am hoping your communal wisdom can help with. I am attempting to anodize a rifle scope mount made from 6061 aluminum (type II - decorative). I have stripped the old anodized layer off, cleaned, degreased according to instructions I found on this forum. I am using lead sheets for cathodes at approximately a 3:1 ratio. The bath is 1 part distilled water 1 part sulfuric acid (battery acid solution). I am using 16 gauge aluminum wire to hang my parts. Power supply is running at 10 amps.

Long story short, I am seeing a vast difference in coloring between two identical parts. One turned out perfect (to my standards) and the other didn't take the dye as well. The procedures were identical. Any suggestions on where I can start troubleshooting? The dye is a hobbyist camo dye heated between 125-140 °F.

32971-9a   32971-9b  

Secondly, the main part of the rifle scope mount has bolts permanently fixed to it. I am assuming they are steel. I have not been successful in anodizing this part. It actually came out of the dye bath with a rainbow hue. Pretty, but not what I am going for. Is there anything I can do anodize this properly or are the mounting screws killing my results? Please enlighten me

Thanks so much!

Danny Severns
Hobbyist - Tacoma, Washington

A. Hi David. Despite your efforts towards consistency, I think the anodizing on the lower of the two pieces may be thicker and therefore able to accept more dye for a more saturated color. You are perhaps operating on the razor edge of minimum thickness for acceptable dying so the tiniest variation makes the parts different?

You cannot successfully anodize with steel parts attached because even if the acid doesn't destroy them, all of the current will flow to them. You have some limited chance of success if you are able to fully mask the steel. Try electricians tape, making sure there is absolutely no steel exposed. The faint rainbow look is probably diffraction coloration, meaning perhaps that you obtained an extremely thin (partial wavelength) anodized coating on the aluminum before its resistance exceeded the resistance of the steel screws and no more anodizing could take place. Good luck.

Q. Ted, thank you very much for your insight. In regards to the anodizing thickness consistency is it possible that the 16 gauge aluminum wire I am using is not a reliable connection? Would going to a 12 or 10 gauge help at all?

For the other part containing the bolts I will try masking and cross my fingers

Much appreciated and have a great day

Danny Severns [returning]
- Tacoma, Washington

A. Hi Danny. I don't know your exact setup, or whether it's really part of your problem, but I'd probably use 10 gauge.

Although 12 gauge aluminum wiring is rated 15 Amps per strand, remember that this applies only to aluminum wire which was intended to be current-carrying wire (wire from which you strip the insulation). Other aluminum alloy wires intended to be used as baling wire or jewelry stringing wire, etc., probably carry significantly less current (tiny amounts of alloying materials wreck havoc on current carrying ability).