Nickel sulfamate plating bath chemical analysis

nickel how-to book

"The Sulfamate Nickel How-To Guide"

by David Crotty, PhD
& Robert Probert

Hot Off the Press -- published Oct. 2018
$89 plus shipping

2004

Q. I am a semi-retired analytical/physical chemist doing volunteer work at the Alabama A&M Research Institute. I am attempting to analyze a nickel sulfamate plating bath by voltammetry and would appreciate any information on where I might find methods of analysis for metals plating baths by voltammetry.

Thank you for any help.

Hollis Bowman
Alabama A&M Research Institute - Hazel Green, Alabama

simultaneous 2004

A. My first thought was that the concentration is far too high for decent results if your definition of voltammetry is the same as mine. This is not a common method to use for bath analysis. You might contact the manufacturer of the instrument tech services to see if they have an established procedure. A second thought would be to contact the international nickel institute.

2004

A. I would try reading up on products from a company we have purchased many excellent products for our plating analysis namely Metrohm...who supply just the sort of apparatus you might be looking for.

Nigel Gill, B.Sc MIMF MRSC
- Glasgow, Scotland

2004

thumbs up sign Dear Readers,

I would like to thank very much those who responded to my e-mail questions regarding Watts plating bath voltammetry. After addressing the points you made I was able to find several sources of good information on the Internet. These include: finishing.com, princetonappliedresearch.com, metrohm.com, and circuitree.com.

After reviewing applications and application notes, I:

1. Diluted the plating bath solution 1/100 to 1/1000.

2. Instrument: Bioanalytical Systems, Inc. CV50W Cyclic Voltammeter with Controlled Growth Mercury Electrode (CGME).

3. Method: Osteryoung Square Wave Voltammetry.

4. Initial E: -750 mV, Final E: -1250 mV.

5. Standards: 1000 ppm Ni and Co spectroscopic standards diluted to 5 and 10 ppm.

After considerable manipulation I obtained an analyte and supporting electrolyte concentration to give an acceptable Ni and Co spectrum (voltammogram).

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Hollis Bowman [returning]
chemist/consultant - Hazel Green, Alabama