HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 31597

Refinishing of Revereware Copper Bottom pans

(2004)

RFQ: I want to have my copper bottom Revereware refurbished. The Revere company used to do it but they no longer offer that service. I am willing to ship it anywhere in the U.S. Thank you for any help.

Feather K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
homeowner - Ashland, Oregon
outdated

Revere copper cleaner
(6 pack)

Q. Per the company (World Kitchen,Inc.) that owns the registered trademark of Revere, they state:

"Revereware is made of 18/6 stainless steel."
Why older Revereware seem heavier than newer cookware: it is lighter because "the same cooking results were achieved when using lighter materials."
"REVERE® Bakeware is tin coated steel."

Is the copper clad of today lighter because it is 18/6 and the older stuff heavier because it was 18/10 or 18/8? I can't find info on the content of older RW cookware.

I have cookware from 1970 and a heavy SS muffin tin from my deceased mom. I want but can't find another SS muffin pan. I can only find a "stainless steel premium surface" on a Fox Run pan.
How would that hold up to to cleaning and surface pitting?

marti_johnson
Marti Johnson
- Hudson, Wisconsin, USA

A. Hi, Marti.

It is difficult to know the engineering details of a proprietary product like Revereware. I imagine that when it was actually made by Revere Copper and Brass Works it was 18/8 or 18/10 (since those are well-established standard grades), and that the nickel content was reduced to 6% because nickel is expensive. But the reason it is lighter is because it is thinner and cheaper. They may claim it cooks as well, but that sounds like a very subjective opinion -- you might try to check with Consumer Reports; and thinner cookware certainly dents and warps easier. Actually "vintage" Revereware is from 1968 and earlier and bears a trademark saying "Process Patent" according to The Shine Shop, mysite.verizon.net/vzeoywo4/theshineshop2/id7.html ^ www.revereware.org/info/id7.html -- a great site for Revereware enthusiasts.

We live in an age where billion-dollar megacorps take logos whose reputation for quality was earned through decades of our fathers' and mothers' sweat & tears, and put it on Asian products. My understanding is that today's "Revereware" is made in Indonesia, and that Revere Copper and Brass Works and the USA plants where your pots were manufactured are long shuttered. I don't know what the buyer of the Revere meatball claims to do to maintain the quality once associated with the Revere name, but a universal lesson is to hold on to older stuff as long as possible because it is nearly always of more expensive construction and higher quality (more nickel, thicker) than what you buy under the same logo today.

Yes, stainless steel might be good for muffin pans, but I think tin plating can be fine too.

January 21, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. What about plating copper on copper? I'm talking about common Revereware copper bottom stainless steel pots and pans.

Just a bit of history - after 1968 the Revereware company changed their copper plating (to save money) and all copper bottom stainless steel pans and such had a copper plate layer that was about 1/2 the thickness of prior pots and pans.

There are plenty of reports out there from cooks that indicate this thinner plating destroyed the heat transmitting ability of the pans - the new pans tend to develop hot spots while the old pans (made before 1968) do not.

There are even people who have reported that their copper plating simply came off the bottom of the pans after use, so clearly the company had adhesion issues in some production runs.

Would it be possible to take one of these copper bottom pans, polish the copper, then plate more copper on to it with garden variety copper sulfate and scrap copper and get a thicker layer that wouldn't be too bad?

Ted Mittelstaedt
- Portland Oregon

A. Hi Ted. It's not impossible, but ...

There is a huge difference between a high school science class where a teacher shows the science of using electricity to move some copper from an anode to a workpiece ... vs. the practical technology of generating a thick, smooth, dense, adherent, layer of copper. You are certainly welcome to try; I think it will be a good learning experience where you'll learn that it is easy to do crumby plating, but not at all easy to do good plating. I think you'll start to appreciate why plating shops use high purity copper, proprietary additives, etc. Best of luck.