Nickel Plating with Boron Nitride Particles

Current question and answers:

Q. Is it possible to do Boron Nitride coating without industrial equipment? How?

Hi, my name is Dennis and I'm looking for a low-friction solution for the inside of a tube (2 mm interior diameter). The tube material can be (almost) anything that withstands temperatures of at least 400 °C. Stainless steel could be a good material and compatible with the process I am looking at:

I was reading recently about Boron Nitride Nickel Electroless plating, unfortunately could not find anything specific enough in regards to the operation. Also, I am aiming for a thick BN layer deposition (at least 0.1mm).

Please DO NOT confuse it with Boron-Nickel plating! It is not the same!
Boron Nitride offers a self-lubricating surface. It is not a metallic alloy, but a mineral deposit. I don't know what is the purpose of the nickel in here, perhaps as surface activator.

My question is if there is a way to do this with D-I-Y methods and if the answer is yes, how to proceed?

Julian Halley
- London, UK
^- Reply to this post -^

adv. NIBORE™ -- A unique composite of EN with BN particles that provides ultimate lubricity

balesmss banner

A. Hi Julian. Yes, I understand that you want an electroless nickel process with embedded boron nitride particles, where the nickel holds the particles in place, not an electroless nickel process based on nickel boron chemistry.

I'm not going to tell you that it's absolutely impossible to do it yourself, but it is certainly very difficult, and we appended your inquiry to one of several threads about it so that you can read up on it as you request.

Bales Metal Surface Solutions [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] is a specialist in this process.

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

2004

Q. We are using cast iron thermocouples to sense the Aluminium metal temperature. That cast iron body will be always inside the furnace which has 680 °C metal, and the cast iron body is getting melted within 48 hours. Is there is any corrosive resistant coating available to protect cast iron body under this circumstance to increase its life?

K. Annamalai
plating shop - Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

2004
Boron Nitride
-------

"Boron Nitride"
by Eugene Moran
info on Amazon

A. You may want to try a Boron Nitride coating. It's available in a spray or may be brushed on like paint. Boron Nitride will resist wetting by molten Aluminum and Al Alloys, it will be effective to about 2000 °C.

Good luck & Best regards,

Jim Sivertsen
Refining & Alloys - Alden, New York

2004

Thermocouple tubes are being coated with Boron Nitride Coatings in India to extend the life of the tubes.

Mr. Manoj Saraf
- Kolkata, India

2004
Stellite
-------

"Effects of Stellite-6 Coating on Properties of Stainless Steel"

Dear Sir,

Stellite 6 coating can very well withstand that temperature and thermowell shall not have any problem.

J.V.PAWAR
- Pune, Maharashtra, India

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

2005

I am researching the process and process chemicals necessary to produce a boron nitride produced oxide (I think) surface on aluminum plate. My desired result will be an aluminum plate surface which is considerably smoother than untreated and presents some durability. The finished surface need not stand up to severe direct abrasion but should wear better than the raw surface.

Mike Andrus
- Hurricane, Utah, United States

2005

You just "think" or you "know" it has to be boron nitride? Boron Nitride, indeed, is very hard but difficult and expensive to apply. Now, based on your goal, you should know there is a way to produce a hard coating over aluminum of something "almost as hard" in a very tried-and-true-less-expensive way. It's called hard anodizing and the coating produced is aluminum oxide (sapphires, rubies, emery paper, blast powders and cutting stones are made of it).

Best coating for steel trough carrying molten aluminum

Q. We have a steel trough that we use to help pour molten aluminum from a bull ladle into a holding furnace at the die cast machine. We eat through a trough in less than a month. What coating could we use to help prevent the aluminum from destroying our troughs.

Alex Lubich
Co-op student - Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, us

A. The only coating that I can think of with a budget in mind that can withstand molten aluminum like a champ is Graphite.

Try an anti slip graphite coating on the inside of the steel trough; it can be sprayed or rolled/brushed.

Marvin Sevilla
- Managua, Nicaragua

----
Ed. note: Readers, please see also thread 25680 "Nickel coatings with boron-nitride, mold release coatings" for deeper coverage of this subject.