Post your own question ...
or benefit from 30 years of feedback on 60,000 finishing topics.
Search the site

Dirilyte nickel bronze flatware tarnish removal

An ongoing discussion from 1999 through 2015 . . .

1999

Any products out there to remove &/or prevent tarnish on nickel bronze flatware?

Pigeon Gibson
- Ocean springs, Mississippi

1999

A. Sorry, I'm not really familiar with that flatware, but I would think that commercial chrome polish would be okay.

2004

Q. Years ago, in my adventurous youth, I travelled in Thailand and brought home a nickel-bronze flatware set. I also have the polishing question. I've had one person guess brass polish but nothing definitive.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom Rankin
Just a nickel-bronze owner - Kamloops, BC, Canada

2005

A. We've been using Stanley Copper & Brass Polish from Stanley Home Products for more than 25 years and haven't been able to find anything better. I think Stanley was bought out by Fuller Brush Co. & they now call it Brass & Copper Polish. www.shponline.com

This stuff has a nasty tasting additive to reduce chances of accidental ingestion, so you'll want to make sure you wash the item thoroughly after polishing if you intend to use for food or beverage.

Does anyone know of something to PREVENT tarnish on bronze or silver?

John Myers
- Waldorf, Maryland, USA

A. We have had very good luck with Maas metal polish [affil. link to product info on Amazon] on our nickel bronze flatware. Good luck.

Matthew Vanta
- Dallas, Texas, USA

Q. Does anyone have the answer to polishing the nickel-bronze flatware from Thailand?

Kathy Ward
collector - Atlanta Georgia

thumbs up signHi, Kathy. Did you happen to try the Stanley polish that John suggested or the MAAS that Matthew recommended? In view of those answers, I'm not sure whether you are implying that you tried them and they didn't work or you just missed the suggestions. Thanks.

A. Crikey! Don't put that goo on your edible surfaces - yuck. Just use salt mixed with vinegar - wipe on or dunk the pieces into as a paste, wait a minute, then gently rub off with a soft cloth. The tone gets brighter as you add more vinegar to the salt. Personally, I like a darker look to bronze because the rustic character appeals to me and my dining setting. Bronze is a copper alloy. Test a spoon and see if the organic, safe and inexpensive salt/vinegar paste works for you. If not, I imagine the copper content in your set is fairly low, at which point, I'd try Dirilyte polish or take them into a pro.

A Zeleny
- San Francisco, California, USA

A. Use Wenol [affil. link to product info on Amazon] or brass remover with soft cloth rub all over the piece and clean it with another soft cloth. The flatware will look like gold agin.

Anthony Wong
- Bangkok Thailand

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

Cleaning Dear Gold Flatware

2003

I was given a very special gift from my aunt - a set of dear gold flatware. I believe it is at least 50 years old and needs to be cleaned. I understand this is different from the current gold plated flatware. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on cleaning this flatware?

Thank you for your help,

Kate K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Chicago, Illinois, USA

Polishing Mitt

2003

Q. Were there any responses to the original questions? I also have some old gold flatware that needs to be cleaned.

Lucille G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Lafayette, Indiana, USA

2005

Q. I too am interested in cleaning "gold" flatware. My flatware is called darelite. No one seems to have heard of it. I would like to know what web site I should research to find any information regarding this darelite flatware.

Linda A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Austin, Texas

Ed. note: You might be misspelling it, Linda. Try 'Dirilyte'.

2006

Q. I too have Dirilite and would like to know if you have had any success locating a cleaning product.

Ellie Stewart
- Langley, B.C. Canada

2007

Q. I have a set of Autumn Symphony gold flatware by Westminster USA. It's very old and needs cleaning badly. Any ideas?

Jane Alexander
Homeowner - Aurora, Colorado, USA

Can dishwashered Dirilyte be fixed?

2004

Q. I have also inherited some lovely old Dirilyte, and after using it for a dinner party, it was put in the dishwasher. It has turned a brassy gold, and I would love to get it back to it's soft light gold appearance.

Candice Peterson
- Hickory, North Carolina

2006

Q. Like Candice P, I have some old Dirilyte which I need to polish. My mother used Bon Ami, which I have not seen on grocery shelves for years. If someone will make a suggestion to this admitted consumer, I will be most grateful.

April Brown
hobbyist - Napoleon, Ohio

2006

A. Hi April. If you believe that Bon Ami will do the job, that's what you should use. Just buy it on line or from a small store.

The reason you don't see it on supermarket shelves is not because it isn't made, but because "the system" changed. You've probably seen ads where supermarkets claim they make only a cent per dollar profit, implying that their profit comes from huge volume. But "It's naive to assume that a business can survive on a 1 percent margin," said an editor of a grocery marketing magazine. Actually, supermarket chains charge "rent"/"slotting fees" for shelf space, and inexpensive old-line products sometimes can't afford the rent.

Bon-Ami [affil. link to product info on Amazon] is readily available, cheap, from this link.

2007

A. You can send Dirilyte back to the factory and they will buff it out and put a new finish on it.

Joyce Odom
- Lake Wylie, South Carolina

I have never put my Dirilyte in the dishwasher, but when it gets tarnished I use the Dirilyte cleaner you can buy from dirilyte.com I also use Brasso [affil. link to product info on Amazon] cleaner and it works well. If the set has the BP (Bonded Protectant) on it, Brasso will not work. I found a gentleman in Kokomo who refinishes pieces.

Vicki Torres
- El paso, Texas

How and who can refurbish Dirilyte flatware

2005

Q. I have inherited Dirilyte flatware and some serving pieces. The flatware, especially the knives are dark and scratched. I would like to have this set re - Dirilyted - if there is such a process. My mother had this done once many years ago. I would like to find a place that will do this for me. Is there a place in Florida where I can bring this? Is there a place in the country (US ) where I can send it? I am a homemaker and have no commercial ties for this information. I hope you can help me. Please reply. Thank you. This is most important to me and my family.

Geraldine B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- North Port, Florida, USA
outdated

Q. I would also like to know if there is a cleaning product that will take the tarnish off of my Dirilyte flatware. I inherited it when my mom died and I use it. She polished it, but I have no idea what type of polish she used.
Also, is there a Dirilyte website that might have polish?

Kathy Johnson
- Wilsonville, Oregon

A. Hi. Yes there is a Dirilyte website at www.dirilyte.com, and it sells polish.

Need coating of a set of Dirilyte

Q. I have a set of 12 place settings of Dirilyte, and it needs to be coated. Anywhere I can have this done?

Carol Blase
- Carrollton, Texas
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs