Brush plating of Tin on Aluminum

(1999)

I have a requirement to brush on a "tin" plating on the edges of .05 thick 6061-T6 Aluminum sheets. These Al sheets are already formed into large boxes called shelters. I have looked all over and can't find any brush on tin plating systems. Does anyone know of anything like this or is it something that can't be done? Thanks for the info. Jim

Jimmy Emerson
technical solutions - Orangevale California

I'm not sure if there are brush-on kits available for tin plating, although I don't see why there wouldn't be acid tin sulfate or fluoborate solutions available. But you do know that you have to prepare and zincate the aluminum first?

(1999)

Dear Mr Emerson ,

Brush plating of Tin on Aluminium is very simple and despite my good friend Mr Mooney 's statement , because of the High current densities employed in "Brush plating" there is no need for a Zincate deposit as a pre treatment stage , you will need the appropiate equipment ( which is not inexpensive ) and the right chemistry but if you look in the "Metal Finishing Handbook" you will find a list of suppliers & technology . Regards

John Tenison-Woods
John Tenison - Woods
- Victoria Australia

I stand corrected, John; thanks for the update.

(1999)

Yes, brush plating can be done on aluminum if you are good, well set up and pay very close attention to details and instructions. I doubt if you are going to have much success putting on 50 thousants of any plate on Al. The 0.05" may be a typo. Brush plating works quite well on many metals with many different types of plating at the 0.005" range. Good masking is a requirement, or the rest of your box around the plating will be grossly ugly.