HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 26015

How is PVDF Coating Done?

A discussion started in 2003 and continuing through 2017 . . .

(2003)

Q. Please let me have the details of the easiest & cheapest way to get the PVDF coating on aluminum sheet and m.s. sheet. I am interested in architectural & industrial coating suppliers.

SACHIN KHARATMAL
manufacturer of electroplating & powder coating plant & machinery - MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA

(2004)

A. PVDF can be applied to the surface in three ways:

Mahesh D. Gupte
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India

(2006)

Q.
1. what is meant by PVDF coating?
2. what are its raw materials?
3. what is its process of manufacturing?
4. what are its properties?
5. what are its end uses?

Nitin Dadarao Gade
student - Pune, Maharashtra, India

Q. Send me all basics to consider related to PVDF coating in various materials mainly ACP. Key points of base coat selection, colour coat procedure, various machine settings, speed settings, and material/square area paint calculations, etc.

SP Suresh Kumar
- Dubai,UAE

Fluorinated Coatings and Finishes

Hi, Nitin; hi, SP; welcome to the forum, cousins. PVDF means Polyvinylidene Fluoride, a thermoplastic fluoropolymer used for robust paints and powder coatings.

Our readers are usually generous in trying to help with both highly specific questions that can be answered in a paragraph or two, as well as requests for quick introductions to a technology . . . but please try to be a little bit realistic, folks :-).

What you are looking for would require a multi-day training course or a 150-page book. You can't expect a stranger, free of charge, to spend a week writing a customized booklet for you :-)

Please go to your library and obtain a few books about PVDF coatings for an introduction to coating procedures, machine settings, area calculations, material selection, etc., and then post any detailed questions in terms of your own experience with the process, or anything that the books failed to mention, and I'm confident you'll get lots of good help. Best of luck. Thanks!

Q. Hello!

I need some info on the PVDF coating, I have a requirement where the aluminium panel has to be coated with PVDF. But the standard Aluminium panels available in the market is Polyester coated.

Kindly let me know which is better?
Does the polyester coating consist of some percentage of PVDF? and how do you compare PVDF with Polyester coating?

Abdul S.
QS - Dubai, UAE

A. Hi, Abdul.

Sorry, but PVDF is a rather exotic fluoropolymer and is "better" for long-term outdoor use. Architectural sheet metal that is painted with Kynar or Halar (two brand names) is typically guaranteed for 20 years or more -- far longer than when painted with polyester powder coatings.

Q. What is the method to test whether the color coating on aluminum is PVDF?
How to do the testing?

Mrs.Kanjana Paksakul
- Bangkok, THAILAND

Q. Can you tell me the difference between PVF2 paint finish and PVDF finish?

Hugh Mackay
- United Kingdom

A. Hi Hugh.

They are the same thing. My understanding is that PVF2 is just an acronym that came from the chemistry field rather than the coating field.

Q. Which process is longer lasting on Steel: Plating or PVDF coating or Powder coating?
Is there a process called Metal Patination? If so is it similar to plating?

Alwyn John
- Doha Qatar

A. Hi Alwyn. "Metal patination" is a bit vague, but in general it probably means to apply a "patina" (an aged look) to the metal. For example, if the item is copper, to apply a coating that either ages the copper by causing it to form some copper salts, or which includes a copper salt. The term usually applies more to copper, brass, and bronze than to aluminum or steel.

Plating means to apply a metallic coating via electrodeposition. There are many metals and alloys that can be plated, but it would be rare to expect plating to last as long as a good paint job in the absence of abrasion. As already mentioned, PVDF is an expensive and long lasting coating. I hate to use the word "better" because everything depends on the situation, but PVDF is more expensive and usually longer lasting than other paints.

Q. The application of majoon / putty to cover welding joints has no effect or reaction in applying PVDF coating? Is it possible? Will there be a shadow effect afterwards?

Ronmel Palacios
Technical Engineer - Kuwait

Q. Dear concerned...

What all set up is needed for this PVDF coating? I mean about booth, oven, etc.?
Will it cause any variation when it is coated for high metal thickness material (i.e., Avg. of 2-3 mm thickness GI sheet)?

rahul rajagopal
- UAE, Ajman

Hi Rahul. The GI should be properly pretreated; zinc phosphatizing is probably appropriate. It's probably not practical to apply 2-3 mm with wet paint, so you are probably talking about powder coating. To my limited knowledge, powder of this thickness is more appropriately applied in a fluidized bed than by electrostatic spray.

Q. DEAR ALL

I have done PVDF Electrostatic coating but the surface is spongy. Does anyone know why?

Ciamak

CIAMAK GHAHREMANI
- DUBAI, UAE

Hi Ciamak. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please send a good photo or two so people can clearly understand what is not acceptable with the finish. Also, please tell us whether this is liquid electrostatic coating or powder coating.Thanks!

Recommended PVDF coating thickness for external cladding?

What is the recommended PVDF coating thickness for coils of 0.5 mm thickness going to be used as external cladding?

Malik

Malik majali
- saudi arabia

Q. What does PVDF coating mean?
How is it coated?

Abdul Azeem
- Qatar

A. Hi Abdul. In view of the previous responses, I don't immediately understand your questions ... they seem to be already asked and well answered. Please try your best to frame your question in terms of the answers that were already offered so we can understand what difficulties you are having in understanding. Thanks!

A. The first question [Malik's]: 0.75 mils for the PVDF topcoat if coil coated.

Second question [Abdul's]: I take it you want a more general description of PVDF rather what it is chemically.

Coatings, like many things, can have a hierarchy determined by end use. For the end use in the painted siding or roofing industry, PVDF is the premium product. This is followed by urethanes, silicone polyesters, and polyesters. Many manufactures will give a 40-year warranty for their PVDF product for this end use. In my industry it is applied on coils of various substrates including HDG, galvanneal, aluminum.

Ronald Zeeman
Coil coating - Brampton Ont, Canada

! Hello,
0.75 mil thickness is too much. I think you mean 0.075 mil or 75 micro. Isn't it?

Pouya Etemad
Alumgostar - Tehran, Tehran, Iran

thumbs up signHi Pouya. In the USA, "mil" means 1/1000 of an inch. So .75 mil means .00075", and would be equal to 19 micrometers.

I do not know enough about PVDF coatings to say whether 19 micrometers is too little or too much, but I think it's the right order of magnitude (the right number of zeros).

Q. What is the difference in process for applying PVDF coating on 4 mm thick Aluminium composite panel from aluminium coil sheet and 2 mm thick Aluminium solid panel with cutting sheet size 4 ft x 8 ft? And done by same coating supplier and same color code?

Any difference in the visual appearance when these 2 different panels are put side by side?

Gordon Lean
- Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Hi Gordon. I don't think you can take a qualitative issue like "any difference in the visual appearance" and quantify it to a yes/no answer. Are you implying that one item (the coil) is roll-coated with wet paint while the other is powder coated?

Q. Hello

I am trying to get my external fence PVDF coated ... can it be done on MS /Steel rather than Aluminum?

sandeep

sandeep gosain
- delhi, india

Q. Hello, can anybody tell me how to test if the coating material on any metal surface is of PVDF?.

I tried to heat the coated metal surface with a cigarette lighter, the coating was intact with only black sooth on the surface which I rubbed with my fingers to find that the coating material was below was intact.

Is there any other way to instantly determine if the coated material is of PVDF?

Sameer Jadhav
- Thane, Maharashtra, India

Painting over Kynar 2605

Q. My shop is experienced with wood refinishing but I am being asked to change the color of a large window & door job. These are extruded aluminum finished with Kynar AAMA 2605 70% PVDF. I tried it some years back & was very frustrated & disappointed. We aggressively hand sanded the windows and applied a recommended 2 part poxy primer & paint. I would have to research back to the exact specs but it did not adhere well, the primer or the paint. There were also issues with the paint bubbling. The factory Kynar behaved like teflon. Would I be most secure if I blasted to bare metal? What type of blasting considering the glass? I want to re-apply a Kynar finish. Advice please.

mark Knull
Owner - Hershey, Pennsylvania USA

Q. Hello - We manufacture extruded aluminum trims for plaster and drywall applications as well as custom trims in galvanized steel, 304 stainless and copper. We have done many orders using Kynar or Duranar (fluoropolymer) coatings on the aluminum trims. We have been told by the licensed applicator that they do not spray Kynar on galvanized steel.

I now have my first request for PVDF coating on some common galvanized plaster trims. Can PVDF be sprayed on galv. steel and have the longevity that has been discussed?

PVDF

P.S. - My Kynar applicator has never heard of PVDF.

Bill Horton
- ANAHEIM, California USA

A. Hi Bill. I'm quite confident that Kynar is a brand name of PVDF coatings even if your Kynar applicator hasn't studied the chemical nature of Kynar coatings :-)

My understanding is that alkyd paints are incompatible with galvanizing because it can saponify them, with the resultant soapy layer offering very low adhesion. I wouldn't have suspected the same problem with PVDF coatings, but I don't actually know enough about their formulation to know whether they will stick to a properly zinc phosphatized galvanized finish or suffer the same problem. Hopefully another reader will know :-)

A. Hi Bill,
Adhesion and cosmetics could be a problem short or long term unless the existing zinc is removed. The applicator probably understands the risk and does not want to "go there".

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California

Defective PVDF coated GI sandwich panels

I have completed a project with PVDF coated sandwich panels color 9007.

After a while, I noticed that the coating is getting ripped from the GI metal sheet. What is noticed is that this is happening only in the angles of the formation as shown in the photos attached.

26015-1aThmb  26015-1cThmb
(Click graphics for higher-rez versions)

The weather is hot and humid.

Any advice about the possible reason?

Ahmad Walid
- Kingdom of Saudi arabia

A. Hi Ahmad. I think the reason you see the pattern you see is because the panels of the sandwich are probably only touching, and only glued, there -- there is no adhesive elsewhere to pull off anything. But it does look like the galvanizing is suffering from white rust. Unfortunately, these observations probably don't get you any closer to solving the problem. Sorry.

These two pictures are of the same panel (I've been working on jigsaw puzzles too much lately so couldn't help seeing it). Is there a picture of the "opposing panel", the one with white rust and from which the galvanized coating we are seeing here was ripped?