Titanium plating (Electrodeposition OF titanium)

(2002)

Q. Dear sir,

Is titanium plating the same with term 'Cladding'? How can I apply Titanium plating to plastic mould or steel to strengthen its hardness. Do you know where can I learn or practice such thing because I work in the manufacturing company that makes spare-parts like gear, mould, cutting blade, etc.

Thank you Best regards,

Cokro Pranoto
- Utrecht, Netherland

(2002)

A. Titanium is a very active metal which cannot be electroplated (out of a conventional aqueous bath). Cladding is a physical process where a skin of titanium is mechanically bonded to the substrate. But you are most likely talking about a vacuum deposited layer of titanium nitride.

(2002)

A. By titanium coating do you mean titanium nitride? If so, it is not the same as cladding. Titanium nitride (TiN) is deposited by either chemical or physical vapor deposition. Cladding is more of a mechanical bonding process, and involves much, much thicker coatings. TiN and similar coatings are used extensively on cutting tools and wear components because the coatings are very hard (>2000 Hv) and very wear resistant. They are also used as decorative coatings on such items as faucets and door hardware because a wide range of colors, all the way from satin nickel to bronze, can be produced without changing the set-up (only the relative amount of process gases needs to be changed). Because the coatings are very thin, it is easy to maintain tolerances.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
PVD Consultant - San Diego, California

Physical vapor deposition

A. 'Body jewellery
Physical vapor deposition is often used to produce black implant-grade, autoclavable body jewellery. Biocompatible titanium coating is vaporized in an arc then electrically deposited on stainless steel jewellery.'

Copy-pasted from the bottom of the wikipedia article

Daniel Williams
- Bloomington, Indiana

2004

RFQ: I need to do 25,000 S.S. material rod to Titanium Plating which is .154 " diameter & 6 " long so please give me price. Thanks

Shah Vijay
- Cypress
outdated

2004

A. Your inquiry is a bit vague, Mr. Shah, considering the comments that it is a follow-up to. You understood that you cannot electroplate titanium onto these rods? So, are you looking for mechanical cladding, or for vacuum deposition (and, if so, pure titanium or titanium nitride)? Is there a spec to comply to that would give people an idea of the thickness and the proposed purpose of the coating? Thanks!

1999

Q. I have asked this question before but received unclear responses due to the confusing question I posed. I would like to know if Titanium can be electroless or electroplated onto steel and cast iron? Thank you very much for your time. Mark

Mark Robidoux
- Malvern, Pennsylvania

1999

A. No. Titanium cannot be electroless or electroplated onto steel and cast iron. Titanium is too active to electroplate. However, some alloys containing a small amount of titanium might be electroplatable; I'm not sure. Regards,

1999

A. Titanium can be deposited on steel or cast iron by PVD processes.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
- San Diego, California

2003

A. Titanium can be electroplated from water based solutions and also from non-aqueous solutions.

Recipe 1:
70 gm sodium metatitanate
30 gm sodium acetate
30 gm sodium hydroxide
1 lit. water, 30-70 °C, 1-5 A/dm2

Recipe 2:
100 gm Ti(OH)2
40 gm HCl
100 gm NH4Cl
water 1 lit.,pH 4-5,30-50 °C, 3-4 A/dm2

Recipe 3.:
30 gm Ti( in form of TiCl3 or TiI3)
200 ml toluene 0,02 % pitch(?)
800 ml ethyl alcohol
18 °C, 21 A/dm2,graphite anode

All from Russian book L.I.Kadaner:Galvanostegija (electroplating handbook), Kiev 1964.

2003

thumbs up signYou never cease to amaze me with your reference material, Mr. Budija! So I really am curious -- but these formula don't seem to offer any exotic solution to the problem of plating so active a metal, and I have to wonder about their validity. I hope someone tries them and gets back to us, but there has been erroneous stuff published in plating textbooks from time to time and my guess is this is one example :-(

2004

Very late response to Mr.Mooney! I am just metalwork restorer, and once upon a time I have this book in my hands. Sorry for my [limited] English.

Ed. note: To minimize duplication, offer more comprehensive information in one place, and ease the hunt for information, we've merged together several threads about the electrodeposition of titanium which were previously separate.

If it seems like the readers are 'ignoring' other responses in the thread, it's probably because at the time of their posting the other responses were in a separate thread and they didn't see them.

2003

Q. I need to Titanium plate onto stainless steel. Having never attempted this I need some suggestions.

D. Prickett
corporate recognition awards - Grand Rapids, Michigan

2003

A. Hi, D. You can't electroplate (in the conventional sense) titanium. The hydrogen in the water of solution will be reduced long before the titanium will be reduced.

It is not impossible to deposit titanium or any alloy of titanium in some fashion; in fact, titanium sputtered stainless steel sheet is commercially available -- but please explain what you are trying to do because conventional electroplating is impossible. Maybe it's titanium nitride vapor deposition (gold colored finish) that you are looking for?

2003

A. What type of titanium plating are you looking to do on stainless? We supply titanium plated SS sheets (Type 300 series).

Michael Liu Taylor
Michael Liu Taylor
   specialty stainless steel distributor
Dallas, Texas

2003

? Michael, by what method are you "plating" SS. Clad-ok, PVD-OK. Electroplated?: I am with Ted, basically impossible, at least commercially.

2003

A. Electroplating or electroless plating - no chance. However, try vacuum deposition technologies.

2003

A. Titanium electroplating recipes:

I. 70 gm sodium metatitanate
30 gm sodium acetate
30 gm NaOH
Water-1 lit, 30-70 °C, 1-5 A/dm2

II.100 gm Ti(OH)2
40 gm HCl
100 gm NH4Cl
1 lit water,pH 4-5,30-50 C,3-4 A/dm2

from L.I.Kadaner: Galvanostegia (Electroplating) , Kiev 1964.

Titanium Guide

2003

thumbs up signGentlemen:

Reading the full list of responses reminds me that the proper answer might reasonably be, "We cannot do it TODAY, but tomorrow the technology may allow it to be done." I would have agreed with all those who said it cannot be done, until one person steps up and says that it can. I am definitely going to file those ideas permanently.

ed budman
eb sig
Ed Budman
- Pennsylvania

With deep sadness
we announce that
our friend Ed passed
away Nov. 24, 2018

2003

A. Sorry for being a little late on this response folks. However, some useful discoveries were made in the mean time, so you could thank me for that!

The original question regarding Ti was not about Ti at all (when I checked into it last time, couple of months ago.) Some people think (or call) titanium nitride or other decorative compounds of Ti as Ti. The person was looking for gold and other color coatings. So when someone asks for Ti plating next time, let's have our question ready, what color is it?

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

2004

Q. I still am curious about Mr. Budija's recipes, and can only add that the older I get the more I learn there's always more that I ignore. Just one question to him and all the chemists out there reading this, since the chemicals he mentioned are really not exactly my field: About formula 2, can an alkaline salt Ti(OH)2 be added to an acid solution of chlorides with a pH of 4-5 without precipitating its metal? Will the alkali be partially neutralized and water and titanium chloride form?

2005

Q. I was doing a preliminary search on the feasibility of electroplating titanium onto Nickel and came across this message board.

Has anyone attempted the recipes proposed by Goran Budija, or confirmed the validity of the referenced material?

Its been about a year since the post above, so if anyone has had success during that time it would be great to hear about it. Thanks.

Ryan Walker
- Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

2005

Hi Ryan. Personally I don't think Goran's formulas have any chance of working, but no one so far has tried them and told us the results.

2005 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Dear sirs, I am very confused about titanium plating on bronze or aluminum products, and it is a very big fence,so we have to plate titanium separately, but we will have to weld them together, how to plate titanium on the surface where we weld, or is there any way to cover that part just like titanium plating? I'd be great appreciate if I can get your answer

Della Li
casting company - Shanghai, China

2005

A. Sorry Della, you cannot plate titanium out of a water based bath. It can be done with some very special equipment from an organic based bath, but it is expensive and limited to much smaller parts than a fence. You can basically forget welding any plated part. weld and then plate. Touch ups like brush plate on weld over plate are ugly!
Virtually anything other than galvanize or plastisol or vinyl coating or paint/powdercoat are going to be very expensive [for a fence], even in China.

2005

Jim W

I was involved a few years ago with a Canadian group that was working on a wet chemical plating system that could deposit titanium (as well as aluminum), but I'm pretty sure they're a long way away from production work. Titanium can be vacuum deposited, so Della may be calling that a plating, as the term ion plating is often used for vacuum deposition processes. However, your answer holds even more so for ion plating -- no way to touch up the weld areas, and even if you could you'd still have to put the entire object in the vacuum system. If you're going to do that, assuming that such a vacuum chamber exists, you might as well coat after welding.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
- San Diego, California

2005

Jim T.-- You are correct. I got sidetracked into thinking of aluminum plating. The correct reply should have been that there are no commercial methods of plating titanium on any metal.

2007 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am new to this site and I have a question about Titanium plating as well. Can smaller objects, specifically rings be plated and if so how durable are they? How would one go about plating with Ti?

Marisa Desoff
- Troy, Michigan

2004 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am a student of Ph.D. (Chemistry)In Quaid-i-azam University Islamabad. I want to electroplate titanium on stainless steel. I do not know how it is done. I want to ask the procedure and possibilities of the reaction.

Java Intruder
student - Islamabad, Punjab, Pakistan

2004

A. Most of us think that it cannot be done, but if you read earlier letters in this thread, you will find possible recipes. If you try it, let us know if it worked for you.

2004

A. About titanium plating, I know that some peoples are actually working on a titanium plating process in organic media, at room temperature. Will it work properly ? Do coatings made with this process offer performance enough for industries requirements? I don't know. However, as far as I know, preliminary tests were promising.

Moreover, as with Ted, that Titanium plating bath recipe presented on that discussion list left me speechless. This is the first time that I'm seeing a titanium plating bath made with water. My curiosity have been tickled and I will surely try it.

Daniel Picard
- Boucherville, QC, Canada

2004

A. Aluminum is electroplated commercially. Siemens patented this back in 1978. The formula they present in the patent uses toluene as one of the constituents. It seems to me that the issues with electroplating aluminum and titanium are similar - so why shouldn't the solutions be similar?

David Ruben
- Tempe, Arizona

2004

thumbs up signThanks David. I'm familiar with the fact that aluminum is being plated commercially. Although aluminum and titanium share the similarity of being more electronegative than hydrogen, 'similar' is context sensitive, and apparently they're not similar enough to be plated out of the same or 'similar' plating baths, although as Daniel says, they're working on it.

1       2