Anodizing titanium black in color

ti anodizing  russamer labs banner

(-----)

Q. Hi, Anna Berkovich
How do you achieve black colour on titanium?

Anastasia HK
- HK

sidebar

Hi Anastasia. All of us can freely share something we know, few of us can freely share everything we know.

Anna helps make finishing.com possible as a supporting advertiser, and has already shared a lot in her posting, including the importance of the alloy. She earns her living by developing technology and licensing it, so she is probably limited in what she can publicly share on this subject.

Closely related historical posts, oldest first ...

2003

I am looking for a way to Anodize Titanium black. I own an anodizer for titanium. I had read on the web that it is possible to Anodize titanium black. I understand that there are coatings that will cover titanium and make it black, but the equipment involved is beyond my humble means. If you don't know how to anodize it can someone let me know how expensive it is to have coatings done and if there is a minimum limit that has to be done at one time. This would be for CP2 titanium that has been forged.

Todd Buck
blacksmith - Howell, Michigan, United States

2003

Anodizing titanium is outside of my league, but if I recall black anodized titanium is rare. I believe that I've read letters in the past that claimed it couldn't be done. That being said, I definitely remember one letter in the past from an advertiser on this site (I don't recall who) who did black titanium and posted pictures that looked beautiful: use the search engine to check archived letters and you should be able to locate the one I recall.

Good luck,

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.
Compton, California, USA
accurate anodizing banner

2003

I have a Ti. anodizer as well...can't get black with it..as I understand it you can't do Ti black by regular anodizing...but what about a PVD type coating?
I know you can have shops PVD coat a beautiful black Ti coating on steel..can you do it on Ti as well?
Does the material have to be Ti?
What are you making with it?
I ask this because you can produce beautiful shades of black on Niobium using just a regular torch. Or you can go with Aluminum and send it out to be done.

Jason Aube
- Flint,MI, USA

Anodizing Titanium to White and Black

I am jewellery manufacturer who specialises in Titanium.
To give colour to my titanium I usually use anodisation or PVD.
Unfortunately the PVD is too costly and big quantities have to be done at a time to minimise cost -- not really cost effective for the jewellery industry where one or two pieces are made of a single design.

My questions:

-How to get black titanium without using PVD.
-How to get white titanium (combined with diamond)
-How to control the anodisation colours for different pieces. it seems like the small pieces require a different voltage to attain the same colour as a big piece. I thought the colour was voltage dependent.

Robert Meyer
Manufacturer - Geneva, Switzerland

A. It is voltage dependent, the end voltage, not the beginning.
I have heard of dark blue or purple, but not black.
It is a super thin film, so is not robust enough for a ring.

simultaneous June 17, 2010

Dear Mr Watts,

What do you mean by the end voltage?
When I put a ring in the anodising bath and a bangle both for 15 mins (just to be sure) at the same voltage, the colour comes out different.

The dark blue colour although very pleasant still is no match for the Black PVD. any thought on other treatment? (no rhodium as black is illegal here).
how about the white titanium? this one is a big mystery.

Robert Meyer
- Geneva, Switzerland

TiO2 is a bright white color, but from my experience in anodizing it, it typically shows up as a greyish-white. I don't think you can get it any whiter than that.

Colors depend on both voltage and time exposed to current.

For example the substrate will usually turn reddish before it turns that greyish-white of TiO2 phase. This is because Ti2O3 (Ti+3) will form before TiO2 (Ti+4). Smaller parts = more current density per unit volume = faster transformation rate.

Robert Kinner
- Toledo, Ohio

1. Concerning color anodizing titanium: with proper surface preparation the color will be consistent no matter how long you treat the titanium parts (of course after certain interval when it reaches the required color), and no matter how big the part is. Many parts can be colored simultaneously in a basket with the resulting color depending only on voltage setup ( see pic attached).

color anodizing of titanium

2. Black titanium can be done. The level of blackness depends on initial surface preparation and on type of titanium alloy you use. The pure titanium has more dark gray black, but strong adhesion; grade 5 has dark matte black but if scratched, can have visible lines; grade 6 is the optimal for black color and durability, although we have seen very good quality of blackening on alpha titanium.

color anodizing of titanium 2

3. We have seen white titanium in our experiments, however did not expect any applications, and therefore never investigated it in full. Yes, it is somewhat off-white.
But bright silver color can be achieved by color anodizing (see #5 slot in the table of colors) or by type IV anodizing (standalone photo).

color anodizing of titanium 3   color anodizing of titanium 4

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Lab
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner