(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Requesting help on determining best quality Stainless Steel Silverware"

2003

I am trying to determine how to tell what is the best quality stainless steel? Is it 18/8, 18/10, or some other number that I should be looking for? Does one type wash and wear better than another?

Thanks for help.

Carol W
- Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
^

2003

18/8 and 18/10 refer to the percentages of chromium and nickel in the stainless steel alloy. The "18" refers to the chromium content, which gives flatware its strength, and the "8" or "10" refers to the nickel content, which gives it its shine and rust-resistance. Both 18/8 and 18/10 are premium quality when it comes to stainless flatware. There is almost no difference between the two in terms of long-term quality and long-lasting shine.

Victoria S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Brandon, Florida
^

2006

I just purchased Cambridge flatware. The content is 18/0. Can you tell me if this is a good quality. I have always seen 18/10, but never 18/0.

Jan P [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Livonia, Michigan
^

2006

18/0 means 18 percent chrome, zero percent nickel, and the balance iron (steel). The knife blades of most silverware are 18/0; it probably holds an edge better. 18/8 or 18/10 would be more expensive because nickel is more expensive than iron. 18/0 is magnetic whereas 18/8 and 18/10 aren't.

Some people report that their blades get rust spots and the rest of their silverware doesn't. I have a hodgepodge of both in my silverware drawer and fortunately none of it ever rusts and I personally don't see any difference in quality.

^

2007

I bought a settings for 21 of Cambridge flatware in Dec.
I like the pattern and got a great deal on them. I have been noticing rust spots all over them. I try to dry them and it doesn't seem to help.

I wanted to contact the Cambridge company to complain but don't know how to get in touch with them. Also, if anyone has any idea how to get rid of the spots, I will try it.

Rene L. Harrison
- Carmel, IN, USA
^

2007

I too am having some rusting on the handles of some Cambridge silverware that I purchased. How can this be removed or it is possible to return to store/manufacture?

Mary Hawley
- San Antonio, Texas
^

2007

There are probably a number of metal polishes that will remove the rust well. But never clean stainless steel with either bleach or steel wool as both will cause additional rusting. Good luck.

^