Hoyt Metal Co of Great Britain thermometer

(2003)

Q. My uncle was involved in the metal industry throughout the world and has left me a thermometer, the only marking on which is, The Hoyt Metal Co. of Great Britain. The thermometer goes from 200 °C to 550 °C. Id'd love to find out more about this item if any one can help me.

Clive Jackson
- Cardiff, Powys, Wales

(2003)

A. I cannot help much, but it has to be an industrial oven thermometer.

(2005)

A. I worked at Hoyt Metal Company from 1979 to approx. 1992 in the position of Production manager. Hoyt would not have made the thermometer but they sold white metal in ingot form to customers to line bearings. The thermometer was probably part of various items that they would supply (sell) to customers.

Frederick Lee
- Carshalton, Surrey, England

May , 2008

A. Hi, Frederick. Thanks! We have a couple of interesting threads about Hoyt Metal Company on letter 10770 and 18884.

Other readers might wish to know that there was apparently also a Hoyt Electrical Instrument Company that manufactured meters of many types. This appears to be unrelated to the Hoyt Metal Company unless someone knows otherwise (apparently the name "Hoyt" is rather common).

A. The Hoyt Metal Company of GB UK, also made measuring equipment.

I am currently looking at a Hoyt Bondmeter MK2, Ser No 209.

This meter still has the original handbook, which lists Hoyt at Deodar Road, Putney, London SW15.

The equipment is dated Sept 1964

Steve Weatherald
- Birkenhead, UK

A. I worked with the Hoyt Metal Co of Great Britain Ltd in 1969.

They had a factory/foundry in London, location was Deodar Rd. in Putney, directly on the south embankment of the Thames and close to the Battersea Park. The site has since then been converted into residentials, but I believe the office building still stands.

The main products were different white metal alloys that were used for smooth bearing linings, used in ship axle bearings, and I also remember they made helicopter rotor spindle bearings as a sub-delivery to Rolls Royce.

In addition, they made castings used in the plastic industry. For this they had a sand-foundry. I worked in this foundry's model shop.

The alloys they made were patented under brand-names like Hoyt No eleven R and Hoyt Kirksite.

As mentioned above, they also made different testing equipment and instruments to check the lining bonds to bearing housing and they had an oil testing program.

Later, I know they moved the factory to somewhere south of London, and they were bought up by an american company. Also they changed name to Hoyt Metal Co of UK.

Anders Torp
- Oslo, Norway

A. That thermometer was supplied by Hoyts. I have one. At the time of purchase they were £19.00 +vat

clive smith
white metal bearings - herefordshire england uk