-----

Pursuit of Shiny Parts

2003

I am in the process of starting a business of custom motorcycle parts, and wish to also chrome some of these parts, but before I put all of my cards on the table, I want to know what the initial investment is, i.e. equipment, safety and environmental strategies, and why is everything I've researched in regards to "finished products". Where can I get my own "stuff", and how hard is it to effectively, and productively use it?

Thank you in advance for any, and all correspondences!

Jason Meader
- N. Vassalboro, Maine, USA

2003

We have an "Introduction to Chrome Plating" on line here, Jason, that I think will be what you are looking for.

Most businesses do not build their products starting with coal and iron ore; instead they build only a portion of the manufactured item in-house and farm the rest of it out. An example of this is that automobile manufacturers do not generally do in-house plating anymore--they farm it out to plating jobshops.

So the first thing you want to consider is whether there is a compelling reason why you must do the chroming in-house when even GM & Ford don't. Plating was this country's first business sector saddled with categorical environmental regulations, and it is obviously difficult to summarize thirty years of environmental issues here, but if I were the bank I wouldn't loan you $2 on a business plan that involved in-house plating unless you presented a clear and compelling case why it absolutely had to be done in-house :-)

If you really need to do the plating in-house, spend a few hours with our search engine and you'll find dozens of responses to similar questions to yours; then go on to joining the NASF and hiring a consulting engineer to design the plant for you. There are some businesses--like pharmaceuticals and plating--that you just can't afford to enter without some years of experience or a knowledgable assistant. Good luck!

2003

If you don't have $200,000.00+ a year worth of plating forget about it.

Todd Osmolski
- Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

adv.   robert probert banner