The world's oldest & most popular finishing site, and striving to be its friendliest corner

Re-anodize of aluminum cookware

2003

Q. My name is Rod and I have several cast aluminum pots and pans that have lost their anodize coating. I would like to find out how I can get this cookware re-coated. They do NOT have a non-stick surface. I would also like to know how much I should expect to pay for the work.

Rod Bylsma
- Byron, Illinois

2003

A. Sadly, you would probably need to expect to pay more than the cost of new pots and pans, Rod. Considering the cost of labor, and the miracle of mass production, only heirlooms and very special items are usually worth refinishing.

Although I don't fully agree with it, I have also read that the pots and pans are fine without the anodized coating. The reason I don't agree is that aluminum that is left wet will show unsightly corrosion that you have to keep cleaning up. BTW, you should not put aluminum cookware in a dishwasher because it will pit due to the high alkalinity of dishwasher detergent. Good luck.

2004

Q. This is actually a follow-up, but slightly different question. A few years back, we bought non-stick pots and pans. We seasoned them (and even re-seasoned some) according to directions, but they've never exhibited the "non-stick" quality. Even when we use non-stick sprays, such as PAM, the bottom layer invariably sticks. Any suggestions on how to make them "non-stick?"

Debra Campbell
hobbyist - cook - Sugar Land, Texas

2004

A. In general terms, all pans are non-stick when they are hot. You most likely cannot restore the surface but you can still use the pans if you do the following. Make sure that the food is room temperature and the pan is reasonably hot, before you put any food in. You should not be able to hold your hand 3" from the pan for more than 3 seconds. Make sure to cook properly - i.e., - 75% percent of the cooking should be done on the first side, before you turn it. If your cooking time is 12 minutes, then cook undisturbed for 9 minutes on the first side and 3 on the second. Remember, don't play with your food; meaning don't lift or puncture the meat.

Ed Sapp
- El Cajon, California

2006

A. I did detailed and lengthy research regarding bring life back to 'faded' cast aluminum cookware. I haven't tried the submersion of pots/pans in the cream of tartar solution but I found that Dawn Power Dissolver did remove most of the set in stains. Please disregard the 'don't use gloves'. Always use gloves when using any type of cleaner in case of body reaction. After letting the Dawn Power Dissolver sit on the surface get additional help by using a scrubbing pad.
Re-treat your cookware with a rub of cooking oil.

R. Osuch
- Chicago, Illinois

October 14, 2011 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I have a large set of professional grade cast aluminum cookware. I use it to prepare meals for my Bed and Breakfast guests. It really needs to be re-anodized. Is it cost effective to have this process done or should I just get a new set?

Barbara Moles
Resort Lodge owner - Idleyld Park, Oregon, United States

August 5, 2019 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Is it possible to re-anodize an aluminum sheet pan? My husband cleaned ours using a brush wheel on his drill and we think he took all the anodization off. Uh-oh. Can this be fixed? If so, how?

Tamara Loring
- Sainte-Adele, Quebec, Canada

A. Hi Tamara. It's not impossible but is almost certainly impractical. But if this is a baking sheet it probably doesn't matter a bunch. It should be okay even as bare aluminum.

thumbs up sign Dear Ted,

Thank you very much for this encouraging news re. our super-brilliant, rather de-oxidized aluminum cookie sheet. I think I'll use it with parchment paper on it from now on.

I like your "striving to live aloha" motto. Mine, too. We need it in these strange times.

Tamara

Tamara Loring [returning]
- Sainte-Adele, Quebec, Canada

Hi. An interesting response went on line today on thread 22551, suggesting that letting your cookie sheet build up with seasoning oils is the best answer because it becomes essentially non-stick.

adv.    xometry-05