Electroless nickel with Teflon

heatbath banner    hill cross banner

(2002)

Q. Hi Friends,

I am looking for information on Composite Electroless Nickel/Fluorocarbon(PTFE) plating. I only know that the electroless nickel deposit shall contain 8 to 12 percent phosphorus, by weight. Could anyone give me some advice or lead me to any equivalent specification (MIL, AMS, ...) on this process, please.

Your kindness is much appreciated.

PC Tan

(2002)

Q. Hi Friends,

I really need some help to get some information this electroless nickel/PTFE process. Could anyone offer some advice, please.

Many thanks,

PC Tan [returning]

(2002)

A. This process is already operating for some years. The major suppliers will be happy to sell it to you. It is not a process that you can prepare on your own.

sara michaeli
sara michaeli signature 
Sara Michaeli
chemical process supplier
Tel-Aviv, Israel

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition.

(2003)

I am interested to know more details about electroless nickel - PTFE plating (Composite plating). Could you help me in this regard?

Pintu B
- India

(2003)

A. You may get some specialized books to learn something about the general properties but the full story is it's a proprietary technology that is for sale. To disclose it or use it without permission will constitute a violation of legal rights, so it is very unlikely that you will get it for free through the net. To contact a vendor and be ready to spend the corresponding amount of money is the correct way.

(2004)

Q. I work on composite ENP-PTFE on steel, my problem is surfactant. Which compound is suitable as a surfactant?

Reza
plating shop - Arak, Markazy, Iran

(2004)

A. I suggest you get a good chemical supply house to set you up a complete system. It will save you a lot of time and effort, as it has all been well proven before it is sold to the end-user.

(2004)

A. When someone asks a question about common knowledge it's O.K. But looking for free answers that involve expensive research and will lead to attractive business is a different story. Keep working and searching. And above all remember that a free ride will never teach you how to drive.

Nicoteff / Electroless Nickel with Teflon

Q. I work for a large company in Rochester, NY.
We are suspecting that a part that we purchase does not have the correct finish.
It is a small part made form 303 SST and gets "Nicoteff". The part is causing reflectance issues.
My management has requested I put all material on hold until I can determine if the plating is correct.
1 I do not have the capability of analyzing if the correct percentages of Nickel vs. Teflon are being met. Any suggestions?
2 The glossiness / shininess of the parts appear higher and shinier than usual. Is gloss and color an attribute that can be controlled when using this finish?

James Polidori
- Rochester, New York

A. Nicotef (one F) is a trademark, so, only the owner of the name (Pioneer Industries) has the information and rights on his product and its attributes. You can certainly reject the lot and discuss the matter with the vendor and perhaps they will accept to re-work it. But if you don't have their specification, acceptance limits and inspection procedures, there is little else you can do.

Cationic surfactant for Ni-PTFE electroless plating

November 1, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I'm doing Ni-PTFE electroless plating now; however, only a small amount of PTFE can deposit with Ni layer.

1. If using some dispersed PTFE from some companies (Dupont, Aldrich etc.), I added cationic surfactant + nonionic surfactant, but only small amount of PTFE can be deposited with Ni layer. Problem is that I can't control non-ionic surfactant + stability which former company used. Also, it is difficult to archive high amount of PTFE. Some publications or patents obtained very nice results by only mixing dispersion PTFE with cationic surfactant (Ex. CTAB/FC-4?)? Could you give me advice what kind of cationic surfactant can be used to mix with dispersed PTFE?

2. If using PTFE powder (4 micromet size), first I have to make it an emulsion by mixing with cationic surfactant + nonionic surfactant. PTFE particles can disperse into solution but coagulate with no PTFE deposit with Ni layer. I think the size of particles are too big, so they cannot deposit with the Ni layer. Can anyone help me how to make the PTFE particle size smaller during/after dispersion? Should I disperse PTFE at very high speed of mixing machine?

Thank you very much!

Nguyen Phuong
- Changwon/Korea

A. Hi cousin Nguyen. Several suppliers have preceded you on the development of electroless nickel with PTFE, and what they haven't patented they hold as proprietary trade secrets :-(

Readers are certainly welcome to refer you to published references on the subject, and you can certainly independently develop your own formulas ... but unfortunately, crowd sourcing as an alternative to individual development efforts isn't doable. Considering the anonymity of the internet, there is no practical way for us to know whether a reader is generously offering you an idea which he has come up with on his own or whether he is a disgruntled employee blowing the trade secrets of his employer or former employer :-(

Good luck with your efforts, and you might encourage consultants to contact you to privately assist if no one refers you to published papers. Sorry we couldn't be of more help.

thumbs up sign Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your comment. I'm still trying and will share my experiment if have any good result.

Nguyen Van Phuong [returning]
- Changwon, Gyeongnam /Korea