-----

"Aluminum to look like copper, patina aluminum"

2000

I have an aluminum sheet which I engraved and I want to oxidize the engraved surface in Black or Dark Grey colour. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any additives I can use to get such an effect. I would prefer to use some do it yourself method. If you know any good books on the subject I would appreciate it if you could give me the titles.

Thanks in Advance

Achilleas Pitsillides
- Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
^

2004

A. Rub it with olive or Linseed Oil [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] (very sparingly),then heat it to max. 400 °C! Good luck!

^

Patination ART on Aluminium

2001

Q. I'm looking for (books) procedures to patina (patination) aluminium. Basically for outdoor resistance 100% of the time (UV and waterproof) for sculptures. The patina on the aluminium must keep its finish but it could be reasonable to apply a coat of wax or clear Teflon or whatever 1 time per year. I find a book for patinas on bronze, copper or stainless but nothing about aluminium.

Andre C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Riverdale, North Dakota USA
^

"Artists Anodizing Aluminum: The Sulfuric Acid Process"
by David LaPlantz

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns a commission on whatever you buy after clicking)

2001

A. Hi Andre. Aluminum can be anodized, dyed, and sealed. It should exhibit extraordinary outdoor resistance as entire skyscrapers are built with anodized aluminum.

But whether this offers you the option for the art you envision is a question I can't answer.

^

2003

A. You can colour aluminum directly, without anodizing!

Black for aluminum:
10 gm potassium permanganate
25 gm copper nitrate [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]
4 cc nitric acid
1 lit water

Hot immersion / 80-100 °C)
5 min. = brown
15 min. = dark brown
30 min. = black

^

Aluminum (copper patina finish)

2003

Is there a way to paint a copper patina color over aluminum that results in that weathered copper look?

David Hicks
Signal Signs of GA - Mableton, Georgia, USA
^

2003

A. Hi, David.

I have seen a roofing and gutter materials with such paints applied but I don't know who makes them and whether that striated look can be applied in a single coat or if it needs multiple coats.

^

Want aluminum to look like copper with blue patina

2003

Q. I HAVE AN ALUMINUM letter "x" 4"W X 4"H X 1/8" THICK I NEED TO MAKE OR PAINT THIS letter THAT LOOKS COPPER W/ PATINA OR BLUEISH OXIDATION, RUSTIC LOOK.

Juan Potes
- Miami, Florida
^

2007

Q. I have a similar inquiry. I have looked at electroplating but that seems to expensive. I have a large order of louvers where the blades need to appear as oxidised copper.

Chris Paffett
- Milton, Pennsylvania USA
^

Most expensive is solid real copper. Less expensive, but looking exactly like real copper (because that's exactly what the surface is) would be copper plating. Depending on how close it needs to look, anodized aluminum with an "oxidized copper" colored dye or paint/powder will do it. You can post an RFQ what what you are seeking at www.finishing.com/letters/rfqshopNA.shtml.

^

I have brushed aluminum tube to patina in earth tone

2006

Hello

I am building some wind chimes out of aluminum tubing. So far I have been turning them on a lath while holding sandpaper on them to give them a brushed stainless steel look.Then I spray them with a coat of silicone oil to preserve the look.

I would like to add color with out painting or anodizing. Ideally some chemical I could put on them and heat to produce some earth tone color or colors. A bronze, copper, yellow, red, green, olive, black, brown or combination of colors would work.

I would like the chime finish to be durable and to look good in the garden.

What suggestion do you have.

Ron Barnett
- Santa Rosa, California, USA
^

2006

A. Try old burnt oil process-simply oil it very sparingly with some edible oil or fat(olive oil is best),then heat it slowly to max 400 °C. Repeat if needs. Hot air gun is best tool for that task,or kiln if you have it. Good luck and hope it helps!

^

Paint aluminum pick-up topper

It's old and dented. I actually don't want it to look perfect, but I want to paint it something other than the silver color it is now. If it looks a little rough, that's actually good. I'm proficient wood finisher, giving my stuff an antique look, and want to do the same with my topper. Any help is appreciated.

Brooks Boliek
cabinet maker, decorative painter, historical restorer - Silver Spring, Maryland
^

A. Simple and effective solution-oil it very very slightly with any edible oil(according to old books olive oil is best),then heat it to 300-400 °C (use hot air gun). Instead of oil you can use 2-20% shellac solution too. Yellowish-brown or black finish. Hope it helps and good luck!

^

A. Brooks,

this is old school way of coloring aluminum man. try this, just make sure your wearing neoprene Rubber Gloves [affil. link to info/product on Amazon].

solution a: sodium hydroxide and zinc oxide

reaction to aluminum: turns the aluminum gray.

solution b: copper sulfate

reaction: turn the gray stuff to black and a little bit of red shade. Depends on how you apply the stuff.

hint: make the copper sulfate very diluted.

old school but works!

Barry M. Umacob
- Philippines
^

Q. Hi Barry,

The old recipe does work well. I have a project in which an aluminum piece will be outside. Will this patina hold up to the elements?

Jim Johnson
- folly beach, South Carolina
^

Q. Could anybody tell me if there is a coating one can apply to stop brushed aluminium anodising outside and keep up it's sheen.

Claire Richmond
- Tasmania, Australia
^

A. Hi Claire. Aluminum can be clearcoated; lots of people polish their aluminum car wheels then clearcoat them. Also, the right alloys of aluminum can be anodized without losing substantial shine -- most dentists' lights and outdoor lighting reflectors, and many telescope mirrors are anodized aluminum.

^

A. Wattyl has a product called Aluclear.

Aaron Anderson
realaustralianworks.com - Melbourne Australia
^

Give our Aluminum Table a Copper Patina

Q. I recently saw a TV "how to" show about finishing copper with Ferric Chloride (etchant) mixed with water and another mixture of copper nitrate [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] (oxidizer) plus zinc chloride and water. The metal was heated to 300 degrees and the oxidation process checked by spraying water. Question: is there a similar process that might work to give aluminum a copper patina finish. I'm trying to give an expensive aluminum table a better appearance.

Jasper Lewis
Hobbyist - Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
^

Reactive Metal Paint-Copper

Affiliate Link

Jax Green Patina

A. Hi, Jasper.

In a way, it is the copper itself that is responsible for the color, not the chemicals it was treated with. Aluminum doesn't form those colors; it can't.

But you can probably "paint" on a cupric solution. Commercial copper-based "metallic surfacer solutions" like Modern Options Patina FinishesCopper Topper are available.

You can use these as is, or go on to use a patina solution =>
on the new "copper" surface. I would expect, though, that metal surfacing an aluminum table and patinating it to an attractive artistic look is a job for someone with some arts and crafts experience and aptitude rather than just home handyman experience. That leaves me out :-)

^

Q. I purchased an antique head board for $10 at my local Faith Farms. I am a photographer, and looking to gain green patina overnight. I am sure, due to its' weight, it is aluminum, has anyone used copper paint, followed by the salt and vinegar solution? Can this be done?

alyse crandell
photography- ft. lauderdale, Florida
^

In one of the earliest posts on this topic there is a recipe that calls for nitric acid, does anyone know what strength of acid this is?

Pete Williams
- Birmingham, UK
^

A. Hi Pete. When acids are specified by volume instead of weight, the writer usually means at the strength one would typically find that ingredient in a chem lab for general purposes rather than any particular molar concentration for titration ... this is often the highest practical concentration, so I would guess 68% concentration.

Birchwood-Casey "Aluminum Black"

Affiliate Link

Please introduce yourself and your situation so you can get better targeted responses: For example, Goran is one of our most helpful readers but he is a metals conservator and some of his responses in this one-room schoolhouse of an internet public forum are not targeted at nor appropriate for consumers. Thanks. Aluminum black =>
may be more appropriate for consumers, and Insta-blak from EPI (Electrochemical Products Inc.) [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] more appropriate for industrial users. Good luck

^