Magnalite Cookware Refinishing

2003

Q. I have Magnalite cookware and the "nonstick" finish is destroyed due to age and use; specifically scratches. What can I do to restore the finish, or where can I have this done?

Barbara G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bellville, Texas

Q. I have the Magnalite Cookware Set but, time has destroyed the beautiful finish of the cast aluminum set. My question to you is what can I do to restore the shine to this great set? For the price of the product, you can't find a better cookware set. I just want to bring back that new shine. I hope you can give me the name of a product that will do the job. Maybe one day my grandchildren will appreciate the quality of this cast aluminum cookware.

Georgia B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Houston, Texas

2003

A. Use the finest grade 0000 steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] (#0000) and Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Scrub with a blob of Mothers on the steel wool. It will turn into a grey sludge. Use dish detergent to cut the sludge. Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary to remove all tarnish. Then to restore the shine useSimiChrome [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. It is expensive but worth it.

Marilyn B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Denver, Colorado

2005

Q. I have 11 various pieces of Magnalite Cookware "non stick inside & out" (DARK GRAY). The finish on most of my pieces is is about 85% gone. When I purchased these I was told they had a life time guarantee & was given documents verifying this. The merchant I purchased them at is no longer in business. I purchased them in 1998. The guarantee was backed by the manufacturer, I would like to get these replaced or repaired. Any input on who I should contact would be really appreciated.

Bob M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bridgeport, Michigan

2005

Q. I would Like to know where and if it is possible to repair the Magnalite Pots I have that were caught in the hurricane Katrina flood waters. The Pots I'm able to clean but due to the salt water of six feet in my home, screw tops have fallen off. Desperately need help.

Brenda C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Carencro, Louisiana

2006

Q. I own many pieces of Magnalite GHC anodized cookware. Many are in need of having the finish restored, which is covered by the "lifetime warranty". Would like name of anybody who can help me with this problem.

Jack K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Cerritos, California

2006

A. Apparently the manufacturer of Magnalite has been taken over by American Culinary. They can be contacted through their web site at americanculinarycorp.com. It would be interesting to know if they will honor this warranty.

Steve D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Tucson, Arizona

2006

A. I believe the name of the company that makes Magnalite is General Housewares Corp. Their address is 1536 Beech Street, Terre Haute, IN. 47804. Hope this helps anyone trying to use the warranty to get them refinished.

Paula D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Phoenix, Arizona

2006

thumbs up signThanks to the folks in AZ for the info, I'll pursue this warranty issue and report back.

- Cerritos, California

2006

A. Just to let you know - General Housewares (800-999-3436) just told me to call 888-327-8472, who told me to call 800-767-5160, who told me they are only honoring the Magnalite warranty on pans made in Korea. I am unable to find who is honoring the warranty on the Magnalite Professional pans which were made in the U.S. Does anyone out there know?

Sara R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Wellington, Florida

2006

Q. I too have several pieces of Magnalite pro. After a few years all of the saucepans had lost their anodized surface on the inside. I called General Housewares and explained this to them and they replaced them. (This was about 8 years ago) When they sent me my replacement pans there was a letter advising me not to cook anything acidic in the pans as that is what erodes the anodized aluminum surface. Now I have Three 'like new' (because I hardly ever use them)'sauce' pans that I cannot use wine, lemon juice, or even make tomato sauce in....Kind of useless as far as sauce pans go! I have another mag pro 8 quart stock pot that the same thing has happened to. I don't even know if it is worth the trouble to get it replaced..or if they will even replace it! For the last ten years or so I have been buying All-Clad and have been very pleased. I will not ever buy any more mag pro or any other anodized aluminum pans.

K. Burden
- Farmington Hills, Michigan

Collectors Guide to Wagner Ware and Other Companies

2006

A. I, also, have Magnalite Professional purchased in the late 80's. Although they look terrific from the outside, the insides are discolored and very unprofessional. Using the telephone number offered by a previous message, I called today. The company representative or CEO on the other end was very informative and concerned. He said that the discoloration was a result of acidic foods or carbon build-up. He recommended a thorough scouring with Bon-Ami [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and a Scotch-Brite to be followed by wiping the inside with Wesson Oil. Afterwards, heat it in the oven or on top of the stove to allow the pores of the metal to absorb the oil.This seasoning is similar to the process completed upon using the cookware for the first time. Also suggested was a spray sold in restaurant supply stores called "Carbon-Off [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] ". In addition, to take away the discoloration of the handles and lids a metal polish was recommended. This polishing paste made in Germany is called "Flitz [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]".
The gentleman also said that if there were further issues to please e-mail him at wagnerware.com or americanculinarycorp.com. I hope this helps others who thought we had bought the last pot in our lives. I might add that the representative or owner of the company thought we had the best cookware on the market and it was indeed professional quality.

[last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Santa Ana, California

2006

A. After several e-mails to American Culinary Corp., I am about ready to give up the quest for refinishing of my Maglite Pro GHC cookware. So much for lifetime warranties. I have purchase a couple of pieces by Analon, and they seem to be okay, but just loved that Maglite. Too bad the company doesn't respond to e-mail.

- Cerritos, California

2006

Q. Can I ever use my Magnalite pots that went through Hurricane Katrina again at our house in Bay St. Louis, MS? How do I clean the corrosion out of the inside? What type of cleaner? Do they need to be sandblasted?

Katherine C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana

2006

Q. I would like to know if anyone found out about the lifetime warranty on the Magnalite pot. I too have a set from Katrina and would like to contact the company.

Terri D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Norco, Louisiana

2006

Q. I have read a couple of posts about GHC Magnalite cookware that went through Katrina. I have a large roaster that has corrosion in the bottom but has partially washed out. I would like to hear from anyone who knows how to sanitize this and other pots in the series so I don't have to be afraid to use them. The thought of having to throw them away makes me sick all over again.

Thanks for any help,

Wanda J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- New Orleans, Louisiana

2006

Q. I have a whole set of Magnalite professional pans and have recently read several articles about Teflon products being carcinogenic! Does anyone know if these pans are coated with Teflon? If so I believe we should throw them out and buy something different!

Thank you!

Charlett J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Loan Officer - Danville, California

A. Hi Charlett. Countless millions of teflon-coated pots and pans and other food service items are in use, and many people feel they are perfectly safe. You certainly don't have to agree with them, but don't throw them out and overload the landfills -- sell them.

2006

A. For those asking about their MAGNALITE that went through Katrina. All you need to do to sanitize them is to fill with clean water and add approx 10% Chlorine and allow to sit for 2 -3 hours, Empty and wash with Bon Ami cleanser. After the cookware has been dried, apply a VERY THIN coat of vegetable oil to both the inside and out, then bake in the oven @ 350 °F for 1 hour to Re-Season the cookware. In the future as I mentioned before use only Bon Ami or Dish Soap to clean in the future and re-season approx once a year. I am a retired Captain FDNY and used to cook for my Engine and Ladder Companies. I have a very large set of the Magnalite Professional Cookware that I purchased over the years and used at the Engine house. They all are still in excellent condition and I still use them today.

Stay Safe,

Michael Connolly, Capt. FDNY Ret.
- Bridgeport, West Virginia

2007

A. To update you on having your Magnalite pots refinished, I just had 36 pieces of mine done by this company here in Los Angeles. My pots are back to a new and even better shine! This company is willing to refinish any cast aluminum pot, i.e. MagPro, Magnalite Classic, All-Clad, Revere-Ware, Wear Ever,Vintage aluminum pots and pans like Wagner Ware, Guardian Service and 18 grade Stainless Steel. His specialty is anodizing. He does Residential or Commercial Pots and Pans (like for restaurants and such). I took pictures of my pots to show to anyone interested.

Duran Mouton
- Venice, California

2007

Q. Looking for the name of the company that did the refinishing in Los Angeles. I have a huge set of Magnalite Pro that needs attention.

Michelle Welter
- Miami, Florida

2007

Q. I have a set of Magnalite GHC pots that have lost their anodizing. They used to be grey black but are now the aluminum is exposed on the inside. What is the name of the company in Los Angeles and does anybody know of any companies that does the same process on the east coast?

Dave MacMaster - Woodstock, Vermont

2007

Q. I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A CAST ALUMINUM DUTCH OVEN(AMERICA/CLUB)AT A FLEA MARKET WHICH HAS BAKED ON GREASE AND DIRT...WHAT CAN I USE TO GET THIS CLEAN SO IT CAN BE USED..SANDY

Sandy Ducker
homemaker - Canton, Ohio

2007

Q. Does anybody know the name of the company in California that re-anodizes cookware?

Arthur Geffen
- Dallas, Texas

2007
19047

A. For all that is interested here is the name of the company in Los Angeles, CA that cleans pots including copper and brass: Kaleidoscope Polishing. The company is in the City of Gardena, which is a suburb of L.A. The owner is Mr. Ray H. Johnson, when contacting his office, speak to him and let him know I referred you to him from this site.

As I stated in March, my Magnalite pots are beautiful and since then I have more that I purchased from an Estate Sale along with some other items I will be taking to him. Good Luck and post your comments or questions here for all to share!

Duran Mouton
- Venice, California

A. Just heard from the man at Kaleidoscope and they do NOT re-anodize AllClad. Just clean and polish. Anybody know anyone who might re-anodize allclad?

Arthur Geffen
- Dallas, Texas

Q. Did anyone try the Bon-Ami/Carbon-Off Carbon remover solution listed above? Also, does anyone know if there is a hazard to your food by cooking things like tomato sauce and other foods in a pan that has lost it's anodized surface on the inside? What a huge disappointment these pans have been. I paid a lot of money for them when I purchased them way back in 1990. I've since been buying Circulon pans which I've had no problem with.

Ursula Gruenewald
- Henderson, Nevada

A. I looked on the bottom of my Magnalite classic pots that I bought in 1996 and it has a phone number 1-800-545-4411. I don't know if they can help with warranty, but I'm going to try and call when they are open Monday.

Tricia Barber
- Prairieville, Louisiana

I'm trying to find out if my Magnalite GHC cookware is non-stick? Any help would be appreciated.

Debbie

debbie saenz
- oceanside, California

June , 2008

A. Hi, Debbie. You should be able to detect whether your cookware has a smooth teflon-like lining or not in these ways ...

You can feel the softness of the coating, you will see that water beads on it instead of any tendency to wet the surface, and you'll observe that it tends to "scuff" as opposed to scratch because it is relatively soft whereas anodized aluminum is extremely hard.

Hopefully, of course, it functions as a non-stick surface :-)

Q. I have a Magnalite 5 qt pot. The screw that held the knob on the lid broke and now I have a lid with a hole in it for the knob. Does anyone know where I can get this repaired?

Tina Bradel
- Nederland, Texas

R
E
P
L
A
C
E
M
E
N
T

H
A
N
D
L
E
S

Q. Does anyone know where to get replacement handles for Magnalite pots and pans -- with Wagnerware stamps on the bottom? I have Wagnerware that dates back to the 1940's and some of the handles are brittle.

Maura Stone
- Santa Fe, New Mexico

Q. I have been a fan of Magnalite Cookware for many years. I recently inherited a few Magnalite pots from my aunt who is currently 94 years old. She is unable to cook anymore and was glad to pass some of her pots to me. However, 2 of the pots have broken handles. I have looked at several web sites to see if I could find replacement handles and have called numbers that were on some of the sites but have not been successful with any information.
Can anybody out there help me find replacement handles.

Marie Nelson
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana

A. You can purchase replacement handles at www.wagnerware.com!

Alida Guilbeau
- Puyallup, Washington

Q. HELP ! EASY-OFF & MAGNALITE = DISASTER! My mother mistakenly tried to clean her 20x12 Magnalite cooking pot WITH EASY-OFF. You can only imagine what it looks like. She has had for YEARS and LOVES it! PLEASE help me make my Mommy happy! What can I do to restore good enough so she can make some more of her famous Pot Roasts?

Jim Rodrig
- Modesto, California

A. I just spoke to an employee of Kaleidoscope Polishing in Gardena, Ca and they polish most pans (although I still haven't received a definitive answer about whether or not they actually re-anodize). They're going to call back with an estimate to polish. Hope this helps!

Susan Oberman
- Pasadena, California

Q. How do I re-season my Magnalite.
It was purchased in the 90's. It is the dark charcoal or black Magnalite type of cookware. It was put in the dishwasher by accident and now food sticks to the pans. I seasoned it when I purchased it, however, I don't remember what the procedure was that I used to season them. Please, advise me as to "how and what" to do to restore my wonderful cookware to it's original cooking quality.
Thank You.

Teresa Day
cookware owner - Santa Maria, California

A. I still have the brochures that came with my pots purchased in the 80's or 90's. Verbatim from 90's brochure: "Preseasoning Recommended: Although as Magnalite Professional Cookware is used, it is naturally seasoned by the oil in your ingredients, you may want to preseason your cookware. First wash the pan with warm soapy water.

To season Magnalite Professional Cookware, use vegetable or peanut oil. *Put the oil on a piece of paper towel and rub the inside and outside of the pan. Place the pan in a 300 degree oven for 30 minuets.

While the pan is still warm, wipe it with another piece of paper towel to remove any excess oil that might be on the pan. Your pan is now ready to use.
NOTE: Never pour oil directly into the pan. Only a light application is necessary.

Helpful Hints When Cooking with Magnalite Professional.

*An uneven seasoning pattern will develop on the exterior surface of your Magnalite Professional pots and pans. This is the natural patina of the cookware. To spread this patina evenly across the exterior of the pan, apply a few drops (2-4) of vegetable or peanut oil to a paper towel and rub the exterior surface of the pot or pan. Wipe away excess oil with a clean, dry paper towel."

Hope this helps. I'm trying to sort out the various evolutions of Magnalite Professional and fear I may have inadvertently purchased a non-stick MagPro. Anyone have experience with these or know about Eclipse coating?

Eileen Weeks
- Petaluma, California

Q. My Magnalite pots were submerged in Hurricane Ike, and I want to follow the suggestion of 10% Chlorine followed by wiping with oil and putting in a 350 degree oven. Will this hurt the handles on my saucepans?

Carrie Sanders
Consumer - Orange, Texas

A. I have several Magnalite pots, some 20 years old. They have been through Hurricanes Rita and Ike and are still cooking just as nice as new. I was a little concerned with the salt water damage but decided to try to save them. I used a brillo pad to remove the salt and filled them with water and a touch of bleach (to disinfect) and boiled each pot for 1 hour. Granted, they are not as beautiful but in the south we cook for flavor not to show off pretty pots.

Erica Waters
- Johnson Bayou, Louisiana

Q. My Magnalite pan is bowed on the bottom and I am not able to use it on my new flat surface stove. It is a beautiful pan otherwise. Any idea how to repair / replace this? This seems like a defect in the product that I am just now noticing...

Nadine Ham
- Raleigh North Carolina

A. The loss of anodization does not harm the cooking ability of the pots. They will work as well as they ever have. There is an excellent webpage telling all about Magnalite and the different varieties:

I have used mine for years (the original variety) some still have their anodizing and others don't. They are the best cookware I have ever owned.

Tom Beeker
- Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Q. I love my Magnalite professional I have used it following mfg curing and cleaning inst. with no problem. Pancakes come out great. I would love a larger one. I am not sure how to get the rubber handle grip off for oven use without tearing it. Any Ideas?

Rose Horan
- Windsor Locks, Connecticut

A. I tried the Bon Ami process provided by Pam S of CA today. I washed the pan in hot, soapy dish water, and then put in Bon-Ami [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and scrubbed the pan with a dish rag (and ruined the dish rag) creating a gray sludge. Rinsed it out and dried the pan. Applied a coat of vegetable oil with paper towels and placed in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, then wiped out the remaining oil with paper towels. Used it tonight to cook jambalaya (can stick very easily to a pan) with no sticking, no problems. Just like new! Highly recommend you try it!

Larry Stiffler
- Manassas, Virginia

Q. I have a huge Magnalite roasting pan that I use several times a year to cook a traditional old-world fish dish for large family gatherings. I LOVE THIS PAN, but it absorbs the fish smell. If I leave it filled with a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water for about a week, the smell will pretty much be removed. It's very discolored inside, but I really only care about getting rid of that smell.
Any suggestions as to how to avoid the smell absorption and/or how to rid it of the smell afterwards?
Thanks all!

S Goldberg
- East Brunswick, New Jersey

Q. I've had my Magnalite 10 inch saute pan for almost 20 years and just recently am seeing gray on foods I'm cooking in it. For instance, I sauteed chicken and they turned gray. The gray also rubs off on my fingers when I rub it. It's got a CHG logo and Chicago Cutlery stamp on the bottom. Will re-seasoning the pan take care of this or is something else going on?

Joanne Stover
- Yuma, Arizona, USA

Q. I am new to Magnalite. I purchased a used "chicken fryer" frying pan. Magnalite 4570-P Wagner Ware Sidney - 0 - I read all of the posts but I need to know if the handles are oven proof or do I remove them to season the skillet? It does not have a teflon coating. The interior of the skillet looks like aluminum. Is there a big difference? I also inherited a Magnalite stock pot in May that was damaged in Ike. I am going to try the Bon-Ami solution and will let you know how it turns out.

Sandy Arnett
housewife - Houston, Texas USA

A. I found out a lot of information about the Magnalite Pots and pans. You can have them restored like new and also purchase the original Magnalite pots (not made in China). Go to www.wagnerware.com. Mr. Peter Pike who is the owner of the company is very professional and helpful.

Hope this helps everyone with their Magnalite problems...

Rick Galancey
- Gretna Louisiana USA

Q. My mother purchased a set of Wagner Ware cookware from a door to door salesman when I was a little girl over 50 years ago. The only piece she had left was the oval roaster (not the large one, unfortunately) and I have coveted that roaster for decades. In August mom passed that roaster on to me and I nearly cried. I now want to get one of the larger 18" ones, but am confused....is Magnalite made by Wagner (the 18" one my friend has says made in China), or is Magnalite a knock off brand?

Deb Milner
- Jacksonville, Florida USA

Q. I have inherited my mother's Magnalite Dutch Oven. I'm sure it was purchased in the 50's or early 60's. The inside appears to be pitted but is smooth to the touch. What would be the best way to clean this. The pan also came with a rack, which is in perfect condition. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Cheryl Mechling
Hobbyist - Kittanning, Pennsylvania, USA

Q. We have a 60 year old Magnalite 7 quart pot that has become pitted with black spots. Seems to occur in areas that were used to hold the food cooking. Is this potentially unhealthy? And how can I restore to original appearance in the top two inches and on the outside of the pot. Some of the pits look fairly deep. I've had great use for this item given to me by my father in law.

Therese Pelletier
- Centerville, ohio

! I have Guardian Service cookware handed down from my family. Love the items except for the carbon buildup. Use Carbon-Off [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] ; great product but you have to use it outside, fumes can kill ya! I also have an aluminum pot I put in the dishwasher by mistake -- came out dull. I did all the recommended cleaning, nothing. Used CLR [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], it brightened it up. Not like brand new, but ten times better than before. Used it full strength Wear gloves.

mary denny
- Saint Louis missouri usa

Q. Hello:

My name is Jimmy Becnel. I have some Magnalite Pots that I have been cooking with for 35 years. I would like to know the ratio of cream of tartar and vinegar to clean the inside of the pots? Secondly I would like to find a place that I could send my pots to get the outside cleaned and polished. My pots are in pretty good shape but I still would like to make them shine again.

Jimmy Becnel
Cook - Luling, Louisiana USA
e-mail:

Q. In August, 2016, my home flooded along with my Magnalite pots. I have been told it was black water. Also, someone said the pots should be discarded as mold spores would continue to grow in them, My pots have been a part of my family for many years and I can't bring myself to put them to the road. Can you advise me as to if they can been cleaned and sanitized properly, I don't anyone to get sick from me cooking in them and everyone is waiting on my New Year's (big) pot of cabbage and black eye peas.

Mary C. Roberts
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Q. My elderly neighbor just gave me a beautiful Magnalite large covered frypan. It has never been used therefore needs to be seasoned. Will putting it in the oven at 350 degrees for the 30 minutes do any harm to the handle on the pan? Your response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Susan Ciannilli
- Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania USA

A. Remove the handle.
Remove the button handle on the lid.
These are Bakelite they don't handle high temperatures.
Then season.

Eric L. Riner
- Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.A.

I have a very large Magnalite pot which was very expensive. The cover does not fit the pot any longer. Would this be considered a warranty issue?

Margaret Dugas
- Donaldsonville, Louisiana USA

Q. I have a Magnalite Sauté Pan, 7.5" base, with lid. Although I haven't used it since moving to Arizona in 2002, there are small, deep holes like the ones in my stainless steel cookware, which are caused by the very hard water here. The holes in the Magnalite must have been caused by the water in Buffalo, NY, where the water is softer. Therefore, I surmise that aluminum is less resistant to hard water corrosion than stainless steel.

Also, I'm sure you have answered this question many times, but isn't aluminum bad for you?

Robert Brainerd
- Fountain Hills, Arizona USA

----
Ed. note: Yes, the dangers or lack of dangers of aluminum pots and pans have been discussed many times here, including in thread 8962 and thread 22551.