Problem in drawing electro galvanized wire

2002

Q. Dear friends,

I have a unit of electro galvanising of mild steel wire. I have a 16 die machine wherein the wire of 16 gauge (1.60 mm) is directly drawn to 26 gauge (0.45 mm). At present I am drawing electro galvanising wire in that 16 die machine using compressed carbide dies. This dies get crashed or oval shape due to some reason. At present I am drawing it in soap water. I am only giving 0.50 mm reduction on every die but the dies get crushed or the r.m. goes oval or the wire breaks due to this reason. Can someone suggest how to solve this problem of wire drawing? If possible, than do write to me or contact me.

Fayaz Shabbir Ganjifrockwala
- Nashik, Maharashtra, India
outdated

2002

A. First, I recommend oil or animal fat based water soluble lube. Second, you need to know what percentage reduction the machine is, that is a percentage of the area not a fixed dimension. We do thousands of pounds a day. I also recommend final 4 dies be composite diamond for a good finish.

Rich Weir
- Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Q. Dear Sir, Can someone tell me how to draw hot dip galvanised wire from 2.40 mm to 0.50 mm in wet wire drawing machine with a reduction of 15%? Also let me know in which dies should I draw.
Secondly, I would also like to draw 0.65 mm from 1.40 mm M.S.Wire HB. How to draw and dies used for 15% reductions?

FAYAZ GANJIFROCKWALA
Wire Drawing - Nashik, Maharashtra, India