The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Boric acid analysis method

2002

Q. I just want anybody help to analyze boric acid, but I need a single but exact method. I will be appreciated if anybody can help.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos Antonio
- Guatemala

2002

A. Give a little more info. What kind of solution do you need to analyze?

Greg Conti
- Chino Hills, California, USA

2002

A. The method commonly used is as follows: (for Nickel baths) pipette 2 mls of solution into 250 flask add 2-3 drops bromocresol purple titrate with a few drops of 0.1 N NaOH until solution turns blue add 5-6 grams solid mannitol, this will turn back to green color titrate with 0.1 N NaOH until blue. boric, oz/gal= mls of 0.1 N NaOH X 0.412

Jenn Wright
- Dayton, Ohio

2002

A. This has been well covered in 2381 and 15586.

Q. I would like to know the role of manitol or sarbitol in the boric acid analysis

Porchezhiyan Vedapuri
analyst - Cheyyar, Tamilnadu, India

A. The mannitol or sorbitol (I have also seen methods where glycerol is added) forms some kind of complex that increases the acidity of the H3BO3. Otherwise, you couldn't titrate it directly.

A. Dear Mr. Porchezhiyan,

Boric acid reacts with mannitol, xylitol or sorbitol forming a complex with borate, stabilizing the negative charge and increasing the strength of the acid.

This is because boric is a acid so weak that it cannot be measured by visual titration unless the strength is increased somehow.

Hope this can help you solving your issue! Regards,

Daniel Montanes
fasteners manufacturer - Canuelas, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Q. Can anyone guide me to the "methods of analysis for quality control of boric acid?" I am seeking to get a homemade product registered with the Belize Pesticide Control Board... and the application requires this data. Any help and guidance would be most appreciated!

Denise Frank
- Belize City, Belize