Polymer Coating of Sterling Silver as an Anti-tarnish Treatment

A discussion started in 1998 and continuing through 2020 so far.
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to our busy Current Topics page

1998

RFQ: We are seeking a job shop to apply a thin clear polymer coating to sterling silver, in order to provide a permanent anti-tarnish finish. This particular technology is currently used by Moen Faucets and other large hardware firms.

Bob W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Charleston South Carolina
outdated

1998

A. Dear Bob, There are several technologies that do what you want -

1 ) UV coating

2 ) Electrophoretic lacquer

3 ) Chromate conversion process for both Gold & Silver which finishes with a clear coat.

These are 3 distinctly different processes each with its own advantages; I hope that you can find a local applicator

best regards

John Tenison-Woods
John Tenison - Woods
- Victoria Australia

3M Silver Protector Strips

2003

I come across your company through internet. I am looking for coating with following features to apply on metal

1, Transparent and does not cause any undesirable visible effects.
2, Not sticky or oily to the touch.
3, Ease of application to the metal items.
4, Matte or glossy finishing, achieved through the use of different solvent systems and curing processes for the polymer coating.
5, Resistance to regular wear, chemicals (commonly used local medications) and temperature (-20 to 100 °C) over a period of 2 years or more
6, All of the ingredients employed to form the polymer coating do not cause harm to the human skin.

Next I need another solvent that can remove this coating after apply for some time.

Thank you and sorry for information requested.

Mr chong pin chin

2007

A. Mr.Chin ,

What you are looking for is a miracle - a coating that does not effect the colour of silver, is food safe, hard and so scratch resistant and has a life of 2+ years.

If you find something like this please do inform me and I will be obliged for life.

deepak whorra
Deepak Whorra
     silver craftwork
New Delhi, India

We are in manufacturing silver artifacts by electro forming method and want to protect from tarnishing for long duration. now we are using water base polymer dipping process. we are often getting complaints due to tarnishing. we want to do best treatment to avid tarnish for at least 5 years without changing the surface finish. Our silver surface finish is silky matte with bright silver white plating color. Please suggest some good system to us.

Venkatagopal G K
jewel industry - Coimbatore, India

Q. To whom it may concern

Can Sterling Silver be turned a Gold colour by the process of Electrophoresis? If so, will it still be valued at original Sterling Silver value for re-sale purposes?

Kind regards
Lainey

Lainey Godrich
Retailer - Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

A. Hi Lainey. Yes, it is possible to e-coat silver with a CED gold tone electrophoretic lacquer -- which is not to say that people would believe it was made of gold. Jewelry sells for its beauty at a price people are willing to pay. The gold-tone lacquer probably will not significantly affect the intrinsic value of the metal, but whether some particular gold-tone piece can sell for more or less than it does in sterling silver is hard to guess. Good luck with it, but gold plating looks just like gold, whereas gold-tone e-coating looks like paint because it is.

Q. I have a ring that would technically be considered costume jewelry since it is electroplated metal. Some of the excess metal in the crevices of the design has begun to flake off and turn my finger green. I'm not sure what it's plated in, but it is silver in color. This ring may not be expensive, but it is my favorite ring. Is there a way to stop it from turning my finger green?

Shiloh Miller
- USA

A. Hi Shiloh. The green color is probably the result of the silver plating having become porous from wear, exposing the underlying brass or copper. Any clear coat has the potential to seal the copper away from your skin. Clear nail lacquers may work, 2-part automotive clear coats will probably work, and purpose-designed clearcoats like Protectaclear from Everbrite [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] should work.

thumbs up signThank you! I tried clear nail polish, but it wears off too fast. I think this ProtectaClear stuff should work though. I really appreciate the help!

Shiloh Miller [returning]
- Whitehall, Montana

Q. The following was posted on your blog in 2003. Can you tell me which raw chemical components can do this job. I am not interested in purchasing a commercial product as it is not available to the indigenous population of Peru.

I am looking for coating with following features to apply on metal

2, Not sticky or oily to the touch.

Leo Esch
- Los Angeles

A. Hi Leo. Although nothing satisfies those requirements 100%, something which would pretty much address those 6 requirements and is pretty easily removeable is brass lacquer. You should be able to google your way towards a general understanding of how it is formulated