Polymer Coating of Sterling Silver as an Anti-tarnish Treatment

Current question and answers:

Q. The following was posted on your blog in 2003. Can you tell me which raw chemical components can do this job. I am not interested in purchasing a commercial product as it is not available to the indigenous population of Peru.

I am looking for coating with following features to apply on metal

1, Transparent and does not cause any undesirable visible effects.
2, Not sticky or oily to the touch.
3, Ease of application to the metal items.
4, Matte or glossy finishing, achieved through the use of different solvent systems and curing processes for the polymer coating.
5, Resistance to regular wear, chemicals (commonly used local medications) and temperature (-20 to 100 °C) over a period of 2 years or more
6, All of the ingredients employed to form the polymer coating do not cause harm to the human skin.

Next I need another solvent that can remove this coating after apply for some time.

Leo Esch
- Los Angeles
^- Reply to this post -^

A. Hi Leo. Although nothing satisfies those requirements 100%, something which would pretty much address those 6 requirements and is pretty easily removable is brass lacquer. You should be able to google your way towards a general understanding of how it is formulated. UV-curable lacquers might be harder and more durable and could probably be cured with a simple UV source such as used in manicure salons.

Try NanoTech metal coating (USA product).
Nano Silver Protective coating ATP 100 by Sambol can be used too (German product).

Hope it helps and good luck!

- Zagreb Croatia

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

1998

RFQ: We are seeking a job shop to apply a thin clear polymer coating to sterling silver, in order to provide a permanent anti-tarnish finish. This particular technology is currently used by Moen Faucets and other large hardware firms.

Bob W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Charleston South Carolina
outdated

1998

A. Dear Bob, There are several technologies that do what you want -

1 ) UV coating

2 ) Electrophoretic lacquer

3 ) Chromate conversion process for both Gold & Silver which finishes with a clear coat.

These are 3 distinctly different processes each with its own advantages; I hope that you can find a local applicator.

best regards

John Tenison-Woods
John Tenison - Woods
- Victoria Australia

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

Anti-tarnish for silver plating

2000

Q. Which is the best chemical for antitarnish on silver plating please give the details, and chemical company name.

p ramesh kumar
metal finishers - bangalore , karnataka , india

2000

A. Dear Kumar:

A clear lacquer coating is one way to protect silver from tarnishing.

Les Trinity
- Middlesex, New Jersey

3M Silver Protector Strips

2000

A. Dear Kuma,

In case of electrical parts, you should consider electrical conductivity/resistance of silver plated parts prior to applying anti-tarnish coating.

So, I recommend "Tarniban" for this application made by Technic

Also, For jewelry and flatware, you should check the clear coating material changes to yellowish or not with the lapse of time.

Tarniban has several advantages as follows:
- No lacquer coating.
- No discoloration
- Easy stripping without any damages
- Anti-tarnishing, and lubricating in side effect.
- Does not affect electrical conductivity.
Nelson NK Key
- Seoul,Korea

3M Silver Protector Strips

2003

I come across your company through internet. I am looking for coating with following features to apply on metal

2, Not sticky or oily to the touch.

Thank you and sorry for information requested.

Mr chong pin chin

2007

A. Mr.Chin ,

What you are looking for is a miracle - a coating that does not effect the colour of silver, is food safe, hard and so scratch resistant and has a life of 2+ years.

If you find something like this please do inform me and I will be obliged for life.

deepak whorra
Deepak Whorra
     silver craftwork
New Delhi, India

Anti tarnish coating for decorative carved furniture in silver

2005

Q. We are manufacturers of carved decorative antique styled furniture in pure silver clad on teak wood looking for a product /coating which can make it tarnish proof.

35474

Vinay Bhandari
ETHNIC ART & CRAFTS - INDIA

3M Silver Protector Strips

2005

A. Dear Mr.Bhandari,
1.You can use Silver antitarnish solutions available in the market. But this will only help you to retain the colour of silver while in your show room.
2.For long lasting solution, you may have to opt for electrophoretic coating.

t k mohan
T.K. Mohan
plating process supplier - Mumbai, India

2005

A. I have had good experience using thin ceramic films as a replacement for lacquers, for example musical instruments, which are often used to protect silver plated finishes to point of sale.

Conventional lacquers/varnishes are often sprayed or sprayed and baked for increased durability to inhibit tarnishing by atmospheric sulfides but have a limited durability.

Thin ceramic films applied in the same manner as lacquers are more durable preventing the tarnishing of silver, and improving the scratch resistant for a longer lasting finish.

Dr Paul Chadwick
nano coatings - Birmingham, UK

2007

Q. Mr.T.R.Mohan,

I am very keen on answers on this subject. please do enlighten me more on this ceramic coating... for me this tarnish issue is a major major problem too.
Are the same well known Mohan from Atotech ? )...

If you can provide answers it would be so so great.

Q. Dear Paul Chadwick,

Your company has the word Nano in that.

I will be very interested in knowing if some coatings on silver are applied using nano technology.... surely this technology would ensure hard coatings and so longer life as they would not rub off so easily.

I would look forward to a response.

Q. Mr.Key,

What is the life of Tarniban as compared to untreated/uncoated and normal silver or silverplated products ?

deepak whorra
Deepak Whorra
     silver craftwork
New Delhi, India

Q. I need to ask: What is the best thing to put over sterling silver and 14 kt gold jewelry to prevent tarnishing. Is there such a thing?

Gennelle Daniels
- Northglenn, Colorado

A. Hi, Gennelle. If you are a consumer, Les Trinity's advice is probably the best thing open to you. But it's not obvious whether you are a consumer with 3 or 4 items to protect, and limited to consumer-friendly clear coatings, or whether you're a jewelry manufacturer producing tens of thousands of pieces per day, and free to install an electroplating line :-)

Good luck to you.

Q. I am a consumer with big problems with wearing jewelry that turns. Thanks for your answer. I was selling jewelry but found out there is too much to know for a novice.
Thanks for the reply,

Gennelle Daniels [returning]
- Northglenn, Colorado, USA

We are in manufacturing silver artifacts by electro forming method and want to protect from tarnishing for long duration. now we are using water base polymer dipping process. we are often getting complaints due to tarnishing. we want to do best treatment to avid tarnish for at least 5 years without changing the surface finish. Our silver surface finish is silky matte with bright silver white plating color. Please suggest some good system to us.

Venkatagopal G K
jewel industry - Coimbatore, India

Q. To whom it may concern

Can Sterling Silver be turned a Gold colour by the process of Electrophoresis? If so, will it still be valued at original Sterling Silver value for re-sale purposes?

Kind regards
Lainey

Lainey Godrich
Retailer - Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

A. Hi Lainey. Yes, it is possible to e-coat silver with a CED gold tone electrophoretic lacquer -- which is not to say that people would believe it was made of gold. Jewelry sells for its beauty at a price people are willing to pay. The gold-tone lacquer probably will not significantly affect the intrinsic value of the metal, but whether some particular gold-tone piece can sell for more or less than it does in sterling silver is hard to guess. Good luck with it, but gold plating looks just like gold, whereas gold-tone e-coating looks like paint because it is.

Q. I have a ring that would technically be considered costume jewelry since it is electroplated metal. Some of the excess metal in the crevices of the design has begun to flake off and turn my finger green. I'm not sure what it's plated in, but it is silver in color. This ring may not be expensive, but it is my favorite ring. Is there a way to stop it from turning my finger green?

Shiloh Miller
- USA

A. Hi Shiloh. The green color is probably the result of the silver plating having become porous from wear, exposing the underlying brass or copper. Any clear coat has the potential to seal the copper away from your skin. Clear nail lacquers may work, 2-part automotive clear coats will probably work, and purpose-designed clearcoats like Protectaclear from Everbrite [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] should work.

thumbs up signThank you! I tried clear nail polish, but it wears off too fast. I think this ProtectaClear stuff should work though. I really appreciate the help!

Shiloh Miller [returning]
- Whitehall, Montana