Help on chlorides in Chromic Anodize.

(1998)

I am looking for a lab procedure to test for chlorides in a Type I chromic anodize bath. I have tried a tradition conversion with silver nitrate. The content I received was approx. 8g/L. After further review, I can hypothesize that some chromium nitrate was formed. I am currently testing that hypothesis. I am looking at further digestion with HNO3 to dissolve the chromic nitrate and leave the silver chloride behind. Any further help or experience would be appreciated.

Ira Donovan, M.S.F.
Kansas City, Missouri

(1998)

The following should work:

1. Take a 50 ml sample, and dilute with DI to 250 mls.

2. Add 20 mls 42 degree baume Nitric Acid and boil.

3. Add 5 mls Silver Nitrate and allow ppt. to fall out.

4. Wash filtered ppt.with 2% Nitric Acid, and dry.

5. Weigh as Silver Chloride, calculate as follows:

grams of Silver Chloride X 8.2 = g/l of Sodium Chloride.

It is important to note, that as in all gravimetric procedures quantitative techniques are critical to results found..

This is a variation of the basic procedure found in The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys by S. Wernick, R. Pinner, P.G. Sheasby.

Ward Barcafer, CEF
aerospace - Wichita, Kansas

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

how to reduce chloride content in chromic acid anodizing bath?

(we have to maintain the chloride < 0.20 g/l but we observed 2 g/l )

Priya G
plating shop employee - Chennai, India

Priya,

Two things you need to do, firstly find the source of chloride contamination (2 g/l is massively high and will be detrimental to the anodising process) and secondly, rather than trying to play around with processes to reduce the chloride content just discard the bath and make up a fresh solution (ensure you use distilled or demineralised water to make up the solution).

Brian Terry
aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom