-----

"Copper sealer for counter tops"

An ongoing discussion beginning back in 2002 ...

2002

Q. Following up on question 8137, posted by Jim G. of Wichita Falls, is there a good, non-toxic sealer for copper countertops?

Sarah R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Dallas, Texas
^

similarly 2003

I also would like to know about a copper counter sealer. We have 5 counters with copper sheeting on them that look just great, but upkeep can be a problem. We would like to seal them if possible. Is it possible once they are in place?

Tara B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Brighton, Michigan
^

2006

Same problem - we have a copper table top that being destroyed by everything that touches it... any info is helpful...

Chris K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
^

Brass Lacquer

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns commission on what you buy after clicking)

A. Hi, folks. The banner at the bottom of the page will direct you to some specialist lacquer and clearcoat suppliers. See letter 22765 for a coating suggestion, as well; but see letter 13168 also, which suggests leaving your copper uncoated. Good luck.

^

2006

Q. I am trying to locate someone to do copper countertops and backsplash and can't find anyone. Can you tell me who installed yours?

Dana D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Highland Village, Texas
^

2007

Q. For those who have gone before me - copper countertop in Kitchen - pros and cons?

I have had to fire a contractor and I am subbing the job myself. The 3-5 month job has turned into a 14 month ordeal! I desperately need some advice before making one of my last decisions. For those having a copper countertop, I would like to know the pluses and pitfalls of having the copper. From a professional fabricator, I ask about a recommended thickness of copper for durability; methods for achieving a mid-toned antique looking color; type of wax, method of application to seal and maintenance; type of construction and material recommended for under the copper; method to attach under counter mounted sink -- and any recommended fabricator in the Dallas, Texas area?
Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Susan C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
consumer - Dallas, Texas
^

A. Copper counter tops in the kitchen or bath are extremely beautiful but do have some ugly sides. Sealing a top for every day use is very difficult, it still requires anal upkeep and habits of use. I've made a lot of table surfaces and work surfaces and in most cases I want my customers to be 100% natural. I do use natural patina solutions and waxes when possible, but this is not always the best way. I have used an inhibitor lacquer system for tops that receive a lot of use, but even this will break down over time. I have several tops out that I applied a resin based finish over with excellent results, but beware when using acid base patinas. I just recently finished copper tops applying a catalyst type lacquer finish over a acid based patina but too soon to tell how well it will hold up. I recommend anyone considering copper tops that you either be willing to maintain the copper or just learn to accept the natural ways of the copper. I choose to use 16 oz or better especially if welding is involved and the use of 3/4 or better underlayment for support like mdf sheet.I do glue my lite sheet fabrications down, do not use silicon. I hope that I answered some questions.

Bernard Shelton
- Clarkedale, Arizona
^

A. Dana
You can try some local sheet metal shops in your area for help doing copper countertop. It is hit and miss but I have found some of the older shops are able to do them, just depends on your area.

Don Angelo
Spring Hill, Tennessee
^

A. My husband is a roofing contractor who does standing seam metal panels, copper gutters, downspouts and the like. He recently made copper countertops for a friend, and they look great. Maybe you could try a roofer or ask a local building supply company in your area for a referral.

Michelle Dumsha
- Pasadena, Maryland
^