-----

"On an anode bags importance"

I am working on a small scale nickel electroforming process. The anode I am using is Nickel 290, a very pure Nickel. And by small scale I mean the anode I am using is 1" x 2" X 1/6". My question is about the use of anode bags, are they imperative? If I neglect to use one, will my platings suffer? What are the bags made out of? Can I make them myself? I only need a very small quantity of them, if I need them at all.

All your help would be much appreciated

Gregory Wahl
Clarkson University - Potsdam, New York
^

simultaneous  

Any reason you are not using commercially available nickel anodes? The purpose of anode bags is to keep any metallic fines from entering the solution and plating onto the part. If they are not doing that, you can perhaps do without. Anode bags can be made of any material which is not harmed by the nickel plating solution. Woven polypropylene cloth is probably the most common material.

^

My first thought is you should be using a depolarized nickel rather than a "pure" nickel. The anode does not corrode properly to give you a near 100% anode efficiency and will cause you pH problems or at least require a lot more lab checking. Since plate rate is dependent on pH, you will have additional problems with determining a rate. Next, the internal stress varies with the pH as well as several other factors. Personally, I would buy 2 or 4 titanium mesh anode baskets and use SD nickel pellets that vary in size from buckshot to marbles. For electroforming, anode bags are nearly mandatory. Napped polypropylene cloth is the most common. Dynel is sometimes used, but normally for an inner bag in a double bag arrangement. Filtration is Mandatory for quality work. What are you using?

^

I am not using commercially available anodes because purity is very important to my research. Electrodeposition is a way to obtain a nanocrystalline structure in metals, and this is my area or research. I was under the impression that the anode bags were to collect the non nickel sediment in the depolarized anodes. My bath is only 1L. I'm making one sample per bath, and the sample is 1" long and about 1/4" in diameter. I was hoping this was small enough of a process that it wouldn't require bags or filtration. I have been researching forming for sometime now, and it has been hard to find much on such a small scale bath.

Gregory Wahl
Clarkson University - Potsdam, New York
^

Please let me know what is the life of Polypropylene anode bags and what should be frequency to replace the same.
What defects will occur if anode bags are not working .

how can we judge anode bags are not for use know

Milind Markande
student - Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
^