-----

"Removing brass plating"

Q. I have what is evidently a brass plated table (legs only, it has a glass top. I thought I bought a brass table until I did the magnet test some years later. It has discolored, etc. I am now interested in 1) getting rid of the brass plating and 2) recoloring it to a antique type bronze/patina to match other furniture in the house.

Is this a home project or does it need to go to a professional? If a home project what do I need to do?

Steve Arkin
- Kissimmee, Florida
^

Rustoleum Universal Oil Rubbed Bronze Paint

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns commission on what you buy after clicking)

A. Hi Steve.

You will find it difficult to remove the brass plating (although letter 33078 and letter 59452 may help), and then you will find it dangerous and perhaps impossible to do real bronze plating yourself (it requires the use of cyanide plating solutions which you probably will be unable to buy, and might put you on a DHS watch list if you could :-)

Better to find a plating shop to do it for you. Actually, "antique bronze" does not usually involve bronze plating, but copper plating which is subsequently darkened and then clear coated. "Oil rubbed bronze" is usually the same process but with the highlights relieved back to the copper look. We have many threads on those subjects if you use the search engine. But if real authenticity is not required, you may be able to find a paint or lacquer tint that is 'close enough', and that you could do yourself without even removing the brass plating, just priming it. Best of luck.

^