Putting graphite coatings on

(2002)

I want to know how graphite coating is done? And what will the hardness of the coating be?

Nandakumar.N.Naidu
POLYMERS - Coimbatore, T.N, INDIA

(2002)

A. Graphite coating can be done using using cathodic arc, sputtering etc. The coating would have both graphitic and diamond phases whose ratio can be controlled. The films are actually called DLC. RF & microwave can be used.

H.R.Prabhakara
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

(2006)

Q. I want to know more about graphite coating and process how to apply on metal surfaces and treatment on metals before coating & cost study.

best regards,

Mostafa Nojoumi
Shimi Frez Co - Shiraz, Iran

(2006)

A. Not many people in the world can tell you what it will cost in your country.
You need to define what you really want in more detail, but I am going to guess. I think that you are looking for a thin graphite coating that is somewhat like paint.
Do a web search for "dry Film Lubrication". Traditionally, this is moly disulfide, but several companies sell a graphite one.
Normally, it involves a phosphate coating, with zinc phosphate being better than iron phosphate. Costs more but is superior in many ways. Then the dry film material is sprayed on with a common sprayer and then is baked.
Try to find a local distributor for better tech services and availability.

(2007)

Q. I have steel parts that I want to Graphite coat after sintering and before forging. I'd like to spray coat them if possible. Is this possible?

Todd Brancaccio
- Ontario, Canada

Graphite, Graphene, and their Polymer Nanocomposites

(2007)

A. Graphite lubricant is easily sprayable. Are you looking for a lubricant or some kind of permanent impermeable coating, Todd? Do you want it to be absorbed into any holidays left by the sintering? (although you can't vacuum impregnate something by simple spraying). Please describe the required parameters of the coating. Thanks.

(2007)

A. Do a web search for graphite dry film lubrication. This can be abraded off, but it sticks extremely well to phosphated steel. Use moly di sulphide for aluminum. On sintered metal, I would try it to see if phosphating was necessary. It is so rough and porous that it well might not require it.

(2007)

A. If you are looking for lubricity, try tungsten disulfide. It adheres better than graphite, has a lower coefficient of friction and is applied dry. There are several processors who will provide the coating service.

Ken Sherwood
- Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA

December 1, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I work at a forging company, and my company is experiencing pitting issues on some of our aluminum forgings. My boss thinks it may have something to do with the die lubricant that we are using, but we have tried several different lubricants with very similar results. We do not anodize or anything like that.

Are there certain lubricants made for use with aluminum forgings? and perhaps more importantly are there certain lubricants that should not be used with aluminum forgings?

I haven't really had any luck finding anything relating to this issue, and was hoping someone could help me out.

thanks,
Bayunt

Bayunt Ollek
- Cleveland, Ohio

Graphite coating for heat and wear resistance

Q. "Graphite Coating on Mild Steel"
Will it withstand - high temperature and shocks?
What is the process of coating?

Sanjay Kulkarni
Mechanical Engineer - Sangli, Maharashtra, India

A. Graphite coatings can withstand very high temperatures and provide corrosion resistance because it's very hydrophobic, the coating can be applied by spray or brush on methods, you may want to research on Dry Graphite lubricants.

Marvin Sevilla
- Managua Nicaragua

Q. I want graphite coatings on tungsten carbide tools.
What is the method of coating?

Krishna Konjeti
- Hyderabad, Telangana, India

thumbs up sign Hi Krishna. Since these are tools, I think you probably want the DLC/graphite coatings that Mr. Prabhakara explained.

Please try your best to study the answers already offered by Mssrs. Prabhakara, Watts, and Sevilla and then ask for clarification of what you did not understand. People asking for help outnumber those offering it by more than 10 to 1, and etiquette & efficiency require that we who ask questions invest more effort than the responders who help us. Please also try to flesh out your situation: do you want to buy the tools/coating service, do the coating in house, or sell the service. Thanks and good luck!