It's Tuesday 01/18/22 & your Q or A is Welcome.
Chime right in! (a "no registration" site)

-----

"Permanent black marker for aluminum? Information on Alumablack"

Current question:

Q. Hi.
I have an aluminum lamp base that I would like to have deep black finish. Is there a way to do that with a patina? Would the piece need to be polished first so that it has a a very solid smooth look?

Dennis Carracher
- Akron Ohio
^

Birchwood-Casey "Aluminum Black"

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. Hi Dennis. The standard way to make aluminum a metallic black is to anodize and dye it. But it is possible to simply blacken it with products like Alumablack.

You won't get shine without polishing though.

^

Q. So If I understand you correctly, in order to arrive at a finish with a shine I would need to polish the aluminum first?

Even if it is powder coated?

Dennis

Dennis Carracher
Artist hobbyist - Akron Ohio
^

A. Hi again. Sorry, I thought you were talking about dyes and patinas, which have no measurable thickness, and therefore no ability to materially affect a surface finish profile. Powder coatings are flowed, molten plastics 0.002" thick and more which can therefore level out a surface . Surfaces should be properly cleaned and phosphated before powder coating, but they don't need to be reflective in order to get a shiny powder coating.

^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

1998

Q. I am looking for information on a product called Alumablack. It can be used to touch up black anodizing on aluminum. It is a clear liquid. What can you tell me?

Chuck Pohlhammer
^

1997

A. I don't know about Alumablack, but people have been "touching up" black anodize with a felt tip marker for years, the same way you "touch up" zinc plating with a can of silver spray paint. Neither one is the real thing, and both indicate a broader quality control problem.

tom pullizzi animated    tomPullizziSignature
^

1998

A. Metal Finishing Guidebook says that is a product of Birchwood Laboratories in Eden Prarie MN.

^

1997

A. James Watts is indeed correct. The product that you named is a room temperature blackening solution for aluminum. I have personally not used it. However, I have used the products that company makes for room temperature blackening of steel, and found them to be excellent.

ed budman eb sig
Ed Budman [dec]
- Pennsylvania
With deep sadness we advise that our friend Ed passed away Nov. 24, 2018

^

1998

A. I had some many years ago that was significantly out of date. By using it for a short application time, it did a great job of touching up OD chromate. Yes, I know , that was not the proper application, but some times strange things work.

^

1997

A. Room temperature blackening solution can be used to touch up black anodize like brown shoe polish can be used to touch up chocolate frosting on a cake. Just hope that the end user doesn't call on that area of the coating to perform to expectations.

^

thumbs up signOn second thought, I think I'll skip dessert, waitress.

^

1998 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Information on Aluminium Blackening

I am looking for a aluminium blackening product and its distributor. It is used to blacken a die casting aluminium casing. What can you tell me?

Ken Lee
- Malaysia
^

2004

A. The product you are looking for is Alumablack. It is manufactured by Birchwood Casey and is available wherever guns or gun accessories are sold. It is used to darken worn or scraped aluminum gun parts. I have used a similar product made by the Birchwood Casey folks called Perma Blue and Super Perma Blue for steel gun parts and have had mixed results. I have a feeling I am not applying it properly.

Al Fernandes
- Suwanee, Georgia
^

Electrochemical Marking of Aluminum

Q. I am looking to make electrolyte to do black permanent marking on aluminum.
I know you can buy bottles of the stuff, but here I have not access to it

Anybody have some info about this?
Peeya

Peeya teeyam
- Iran
^