-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing.
    no popups, no spam
on this site
current topics
topic 1336

Permanent black marker for aluminum? Information on Alumablack


Q. I am looking for information on a product called Alumablack. It can be used to touch up black anodizing on aluminum. It is a clear liquid. What can you tell me?

Chuck Pohlhammer


A. I don't know about Alumablack, but people have been "touching up" black anodize with a felt tip marker for years, the same way you "touch up" zinc plating with a can of silver spray paint. Neither one is the real thing, and both indicate a broader quality control problem.

tom pullizzi portrait
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township, Pennsylvania


A. Metal Finishing Guidebook says that is a product of Birchwood Laboratories in Eden Prarie MN.

James Watts
- Navarre, Florida


Birchwood-Casey "Aluminum Black"

A. James Watts is indeed correct. The product that you named is a room temperature blackening solution for aluminum. I have personally not used it. However, I have used the products that company makes for room temperature blackening of steel, and found them to be excellent.

ed budman
eb sig
Ed Budman
- Pennsylvania


A. I had some many years ago that was significantly out of date. By using it for a short application time, it did a great job of touching up OD chromate. Yes, I know , that was not the proper application, but some times strange things work.

James Watts
- Navarre, Florida


A. Room temperature blackening solution can be used to touch up black anodize like brown shoe polish can be used to touch up chocolate frosting on a cake. Just hope that the end user doesn't call on that area of the coating to perform to expectations.

Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township, Pennsylvania

thumbs up signOn second thought, I think I'll skip dessert, waitress.

Ted Mooney,
Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey

(1998) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Information on Aluminium Blackening

I am looking for a aluminium blackening product and its distributor. It is used to blacken a die casting aluminium casing. What can you tell me?

Ken Lee
- Malaysia


A. The product you are looking for is Alumablack. It is manufactured by Birchwood Casey and is available wherever guns or gun accessories are sold. It is used to darken worn or scraped aluminum gun parts. I have used a similar product made by the Birchwood Casey folks called Perma Blue and Super Perma Blue for steel gun parts and have had mixed results. I have a feeling I am not applying it properly.

Al Fernandes
- Suwanee, Georgia

Electrochemical Marking of Aluminum

March 5, 2014

Q. I am looking to make electrolyte to do black permanent marking on aluminum.
I know you can buy bottles of the stuff, but here I have not access to it

Anybody have some info about this?

Peeya teeyam
- Iran

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Comment to THIS thread START a NEW threadView CURRENT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.