Permanent black marker for aluminum? Information on Alumablack

1998

Q. I am looking for information on a product called Alumablack. It can be used to touch up black anodizing on aluminum. It is a clear liquid. What can you tell me?

Chuck Pohlhammer

1997

A. I don't know about Alumablack, but people have been "touching up" black anodize with a felt tip marker for years, the same way you "touch up" zinc plating with a can of silver spray paint. Neither one is the real thing, and both indicate a broader quality control problem.

tom pullizzi animated   tomPullizziSignature

1998

A. Metal Finishing Guidebook says that is a product of Birchwood Laboratories in Eden Prarie MN.

1997

Birchwood-Casey "Aluminum Black"

A. James Watts is indeed correct. The product that you named is a room temperature blackening solution for aluminum. I have personally not used it. However, I have used the products that company makes for room temperature blackening of steel, and found them to be excellent.

ed budman
Ed Budman  eb sig
- Pennsylvania
With deep sadness we advise that our friend Ed passed away Nov. 24, 2018

1998

A. I had some many years ago that was significantly out of date. By using it for a short application time, it did a great job of touching up OD chromate. Yes, I know , that was not the proper application, but some times strange things work.

1997

A. Room temperature blackening solution can be used to touch up black anodize like brown shoe polish can be used to touch up chocolate frosting on a cake. Just hope that the end user doesn't call on that area of the coating to perform to expectations.

thumbs up signOn second thought, I think I'll skip dessert, waitress.

1998 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Information on Aluminium Blackening

I am looking for a aluminium blackening product and its distributor. It is used to blacken a die casting aluminium casing. What can you tell me?

Ken Lee
- Malaysia

2004

A. The product you are looking for is Alumablack. It is manufactured by Birchwood Casey and is available wherever guns or gun accessories are sold. It is used to darken worn or scraped aluminum gun parts. I have used a similar product made by the Birchwood Casey folks called Perma Blue and Super Perma Blue for steel gun parts and have had mixed results. I have a feeling I am not applying it properly.

Al Fernandes
- Suwanee, Georgia

Electrochemical Marking of Aluminum

Q. I am looking to make electrolyte to do black permanent marking on aluminum.
I know you can buy bottles of the stuff, but here I have not access to it

Anybody have some info about this?
Peeya

Peeya teeyam
- Iran