Platinum plating removal

I have a heavy 14k gold chain which was platinum plated (I was told it was platinum but I guess it could be rhodium) and I would like to remove the plating to get it back to gold. I have had local jewelers tell me the only way to remove the plating is to polish it off but it becomes difficult to get into the nooks and crannies. Can it be removed by reversing the plating process or is there any other method of chemically removing the plating?

Thomas Koehler
- Simsbury, Connecticut

Hi Thomas,

If the chain is plated with platinum or rhodium only mechanical removal of the plated layer is possible. This of course is time consuming and great care must be taken so as to not damage the links. As a compromise you might consider having the plating removed on the most accessible surfaces of the links, then re-polish the entire chain and re-plate with 2 microns of yellow gold to color match and conceal any remaining platinum or rhodium. If the spacing betweens the links allow greater dimensional tolerances a heavier plating of 3-4 microns will give you greater wear life.

David Vinson
Metal Arts Specialties - Leonard, Michigan