Corrosion Protection for Blasted Steel

Q. We have several hundred meters of pipe which was sandblasted internally over one year ago and was not protected. Now the inevitable has occurred. We now need to re-blast and protect the pipe for approx. 2 months. We are looking for a product which we can apply, internally, and which is water soluble. We cannot go to the expense of a full chemical clean after installation is complete. Our original idea was to coat the pipe with a concentrated dose of the inhibitor we intend using in the system when it is running. The system is an open cooling water system. Can anyone help?

Laurence Martin
- Lahore, Pakistan

A. Plating shops often do something very casual for this, Laurence. Basically they dip the parts in their silicated alkaline cleaner and then rinse or, better, let the residue dry on. The combination of the silicate and the prevailing alkaline condition are a better-than-nothing temporary corrosion inhibitor.

Non visible corrosion protection for cast alloy

November 30, 2015 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hello everybody.

I am getting into the business of sand blasting and wet blasting. Mostly doing cast alloy engine parts. I am wanting to apply a thin non visible treatment after the parts are blasted and dried in order to maintain the "new" look for as long as possible.

Is there some sort of solution that I can dip the parts in after I have blasted them that will adhere to aluminium and stay there for a decent amount of time to maintain the new looking finish? As I really have no idea how long it will be until the freshly blasted parts begin oxidizing, I want to maintain that new look for as long as possible so my customers can be happy

I am not looking into things like waxy corrosion sprays.

Jason.

Jason Brewer
Car restorer - Australia