Removing Silver Tarnish

Kids Guide to Research

Hey ... well I'm doing a Science Project on removing silver tarnish. But one problem is that I need DATA to come with the Science Project. I did sort of get DATA but I don't know how to measure it. See, what I'm going to do is have 3 different materials, silver, iron, and aluminum, and for each trial there will be an amount of salt put into the solution. Like the first trial will have 1 tbs of salt, the second trial will have 2 tbs of salt, and the third trial will have 3 tbs of salt. (I'm testing which material is most chemically active and which material is more active with different tbs of salt.) So you see I have no one else to ask so I come to you. Please respond soon, if you don't I'm dead for my Science Final Outline! Thanks! Bye......

Sophia C
- Bayside, New York

I didn't exactly follow your syllogism of why you were dead if we didn't help you, Sophia; somewhere around the "so you see" there seemed to be a gap in the logic flow :-)

Depending on how big your beaker is, I think that using 1 tablespoon of salt vs. 2 vs. 3 might not prove much. Sort of like feeding a lab rat 1 pound of vitamin C vs. 2 pounds vs. 3 pounds to see which is better for him. You might try no salt vs. 1 tablespoon of salt vs. 1 tablespoon of salt plus 1 tablespoon of vinegar, or something like that.

Other than the problem of testing megadoses of salt vs. mega-megadoses your experiment sounds okay.

(2005)

Pop Bottle Science

(2006)

Hi. I'm in 6th grade and I have a science project. My question is about different materials and which are the best for removing silver tarnish. I wanted to use commercial products, baking soda [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and hot water..., and maybe salt verses no salt or 1 tblsp salt verses 1 tblsp vinegar. I'm not sure what to do for the 3rd choice (vinegar, salt). Do you think that I should stick with that? I want to stick with the commercial products and the baking soda I think but I'm not sure for the 3rd idea. Can you help me? I think this will be a fun project and I like science and just need a bit of advice to push me along.

Nicole Leila S.
student - Encintas, California, United States

(2006)

I suggest for the third test you put a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of your glass or plastic cleaning dish, with the silver item touching the aluminum. Good luck.

(2006)

I saw what you said about the aluminum but I'm a little confused because that is pretty much what I'm doing with baking soda and hot water. I lining it with aluminum... could you explain a little more? I am not sure what you're saying.

Nicole S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Encinitas, California, US

(2006)

If you are lining the container with aluminum, then there is a special reaction between aluminum and silver which is providing the tarnish removal power. It's no longer a contest of whether salt, vinegar, or baking soda is a better tarnish remover. See letter 4785 for an explanation of electrolytically cleaning silver by placing it on aluminum foil.