Ductile Nickel Strikes

I am plating Ni-Au on 426 stainless wire. I need a Ni strike that produces a deposit which has the ductility to pass a 90 degree bend test. I am considering a sulfamate Ni strike, but I have over a dozen formulas. What is the best formulation for a ductile sulfamate strike? I am using cathodic acid activation prior to striking.

Please offer your expert opinions.

Michael C. Brewington
plating shop - Salisbury, Maryland, USA

Most nickel strikes will pass the 90° bend test on make-up but as the solution ages the deposits can become brittle. A typical sulfamate solution would consist of the following 350-450g/L Nickel sulfamate 10-20 g/L of NiCl2 or NiBr2 30-40 g/L of Boric acid Temperature 40-55°C pH 3.5-4.2

Also talk to your chemical supplier of your nickel salts and see what they would recommend. If you maintain your solution with proper filtration and carbon treatments you should not have a problem with ductility.

George Shahin
George Shahin
Atotech - Rock Hill, South Carolina