No cost, no registration, no passwords -- just aloha, fun & authoritative answers
(as an eBay Partner & Amazon Affiliate we earn from qualifying purchases)

Home /
Site 🔍
pub  Where the
world gathers for metal finishing
Q&As since 1989


Anodizer touch-up pen

Current question and answers:

⇩ Closely related postings, oldest first ⇩

Q. We are having tiny white spots on our dyed anodized parts because of oil contamination. Usually, there is only one or few spots and because of this, the parts have to be reworked. Any info on any commercial touch-up pen available especially for anodizers' use?

Dado Macapagal
anodizing shop - Toronto

A. First of all.. I'd address your oil problem. But if using a touch up pen is the way you'd like to go..try your hobby stores..they usually have glossy markers that work much better than a Sharpe..also.. check you sporting goods supply stores.. they too.. have pens that are made for "fixing" blemishes, and scratches on anodized guns.

Marc Green
Marc Green
anodizer - Boise, Idaho

A. Keeping in mind that the acceptable touch up process for the MIL-A-8625 / MIL-PRF-8625 [on DLA] anodized finishes is the MIL-C-5541 conversion coating..........

There is a commercially available touch-up pen that applies a chromate conversion coating, much like a brush touch-up, only easier. The pen looks like a large magic marker and is extremely simple to use. For some strange reason, the company marketing the pen chose one of the chromate solutions that is NOT on the QPL for the QPL-81706 [on DLA] spec so technically it's not acceptable per the anodize mil-spec. However, for those of you not held to the mil-specs I'd think the pen would be just fine.

Bob Denney
avionics Tampa, Florida

A. The touch-up pen I believe the above post is referring to is actually listed in the current QPL (revision 16, Sept. 2001) for MIL-C-81706, under Class 1A, Form IV, Method D.

James Davila
- Dayton, Ohio, USA

thumbs up sign I was under the impression this was a cosmetic issue.. I stand corrected.

Marc Green
Marc Green
anodizer - Boise, Idaho

Q. Thanks a lot for the info. The white spots I'm referring to were tested (conductivity) and found to be anodized although the dye did not penetrate. Ergo, no need for chemical conversion touch up.

Dado Macapagal
- Toronto, Ontario

Q. Our anodized parts sometimes get small scratches in them, could you tell me where to buy the Anodized pen you were talking about on the web page.

Mark Riniker
shop employee - Sparta, Wisconsin
May 8, 2008

A. Hi, Mark. I'm pretty sure that touch-up pen is available from Henkel.


Ted Mooney,
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha - Pine Beach, New Jersey
May 2008

Q. I am making some signs which have a brushed bronze coating on aluminum panels. Through the course of production, many of the sign panels have scratches that show the aluminum which shines through now. I've tried a number of fixes and have yet to be able to hide the aluminum from shining through. This is preventing me from completing this job and meeting my deadline. Any one have any ideas to try? It's an anodized brushed bronze finish if that helps

Randy Strickland
Sign shop - Mountlake Terrace, Washington, USA
December 1, 2017

A. Hi Randy. Before 'next time' please see topic 38922 "Avoiding handling scratches on aluminum"

For this time, follow Marc Green's advice and get to an art supply store for a glossy permanent marker in bronze tone. When you're not required to comply with a spec, these markers can be good enough, and they really are fairly permanent. Good luck.


pic of Ted Mooney
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Striving to live Aloha - Pine Beach, New Jersey
December 2017

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)

Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread -or- Start a NEW Thread

Disclaimer: It's not possible to fully diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations might be harmful.

If you are seeking a product or service related to metal finishing, please check these Directories:

Chemicals &
Consult'g, Train'g
& Software

About/Contact  -  Privacy Policy  -  ©1995-2024, Pine Beach, New Jersey, USA  -  about "affil links"